PDA

View Full Version : not that we know they are here

quadrcr161
01-22-2004, 08:33 AM
since we know they are real and being shipped out. i think its time to set a thread to help some of the people make the transition from 2-stroke to 4-stroke. i am comming from racing the 250R from 92 and not riding a 4 stoke till a few months ago when i got my 300ex. im use to mixing race gas and oil and going to the track. this 450r is going to be a new learning experience for a lot of people and since this forum is one of the best with imformation out there hopefully we can help save a few R's.

i already read in on thread about filling up the tranny and letting it idle then topping it off, a lot of people would not have known and could have made the mistake even though it might say it in the manual.

seatec

Whatever you do, dont use Moly on the tranny side.
Also be very aware that you have to fill the clutch side in two stages. i dont remember how much oil goes in but you first have to pour a certain amount in and then idle the machine for two minutes. that will transport the oil to a higher level and make room for the rest of the oil. DONT FORGET that procedure.
Harlen. YOu may want to do a write up about that before some people hurt their engines. i heard of some doing it wrong when i had my crf450. people didnt read it right and didnt put enough in the tranny.

now since this thing is running 2 seperate oil chambers allowing people to run 2 types of oil, maybe we need to set up which type of oil people would recomend to run during break in and after being broken in. maybe Mickey Dunlap could give us some information in here also. We know honda offers several type of oils for this,maybe we need to talk about which is the best.

fuel
with the new technology in these quads i know people are going to want to run race fuel. i know im use to running race fuel in my R, but i know people with the new 4 strokes saying they can get away with running 93. i konw some times running race fuel can be too much and rob some Hp.

please feel free to add anything that can help some people with the transiting of caring for a 4 stroke race quad from which oil to which plugs work best.

edit, i tried to change it from not to now, but it didnt show up, sorry.

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Well I put HP Trans Fluid in the tranny before it was even started. I just used the oil in the engine that came in it for brake in then I will put Honda's Synthetic blend in it once it is broken in. The tranny has little cups inside the cases that direct the oil to different locations. So once it is run these cups fill up with oil and the oil level will go down. That is why you have to run it then recheck it. After I started and ran mine the engine oil went down a little too so I added a little to it as well. I think pump gas will be fine in them with the lower compression ratio. Once some hi comp. pistons come out for them then you may want to run race fuel but stock they won't need it.

Maxx_Action
01-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Ummm....

I hope you didn't put automatic transmission fluid in it, did you? That stuff is not made for gears and clutches like what you find in atv trannies. Transmission fluid is made for automatic transmissions which are primarily hydraulic in the function. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you should just run a high grade heavier viscosity oil...

Maxx

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Maxx_Action
Ummm....

I hope you didn't put automatic transmission fluid in it, did you? That stuff is not made for gears and clutches like what you find in atv trannies. Transmission fluid is made for automatic transmissions which are primarily hydraulic in the function. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you should just run a high grade heavier viscosity oil...

Maxx

You are right about running motorcycle oil in it. Automotive oils aren't designed for the high sheer point of running in a tranny but Automatic trannys do have gears and such so I would think they would be OK. However I didn't put ATF in it. I put HP Trans Fluid from Honda. It is motorcycle tranny fluid. Auto trannys aren't really hydraulic in function. Just the torque converter and most have a lock up clutch in them these days to wich turns hydraulic coupleing into mechanical coupleing. They also have planetary gears that run in them and clutch packs that engauge the different gears.

greghall
01-22-2004, 09:26 AM
I always used Honda oils in my 400Ex & will do the same with my 450R use only what they recomend their high performance oils.Hope ill have mine soon THERE HERE!!!!!!!!!

Maxx_Action
01-22-2004, 09:28 AM
cool...

sounds like you know your stuff. You'd be suprised how little some people know, and I didn't want to see you post how your clutches fired on your first time to the dunes. :eek2: Hope you enjoy it bro, God knows you guys waited long enough...

Maxx

Bretmd94
01-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I would use all honda oil products after break in. Break it in wiht the oil and tranny fluid in it, then when you change it use the same stuff for the first change.

The motor oil can be changed from the honda oil afterwards but Im going to stay with the honda stuff for the tranny.

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Maxx_Action
cool...

sounds like you know your stuff. You'd be suprised how little some people know, and I didn't want to see you post how your clutches fired on your first time to the dunes. :eek2: Hope you enjoy it bro, God knows you guys waited long enough...

Maxx

Ya thanks for the heads up. I'm a tech. in a shop so I'm pretty confident that I did the right thing.:D