PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Red Headpipe?

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 06:25 AM
I just got a full HMF system and the headpipe on it just cherry red i mean i could cook a winnie on it:cool: I put the 180 they told me to put in it and it seems to run fine but once i get in 5th pinned it wants to die a little. im going to put a 170 in it tonight and hope that makes a difference. my needle is on the 3rd position and 3.5 out on the air screw. would to high of a jet do that or is the HMF supposed to get cherry red hot like that.(dont think so:confused: ) let me know. thanks:confused: :confused: :cool: :p :) :D :blah: :macho

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 08:52 AM
It is normal. I got my new TRX450R home last night and sitting there idleing the pipe got chery red as well.

AndrewRRR
01-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Sounds awfully warm but I know 4 stroke pipes get a lot hotter than 2 stroke pipes (and have the burn holes in my freeride pants to prove it!). The exhaust side of the turbo on my eclipse will glow red if you drive it under boost for a while but you are talkin 750-900 degrees celcius (of course it's also thick and cast iron).
I'd do some plug checks before you start dropping main jet sizes. Typically pipe manufacturers will be on the rich side with recommendations so people don't melt things right off the bat, but nobody can tell you what is right, you have to learn how to read jetting youself. Even bikes with identical setups at identical altitudes can have different jet requirements.

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 09:27 AM
i think i am going to go down to a 170 main from a 180 because it dont want to run right on top end. kind spitz and sputters a little. thanks for your info man...

mustang
01-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
It is normal. I got my new TRX450R home last night and sitting there idleing the pipe got chery red as well.

lucky lucky *******:D :D

markk
01-22-2004, 11:25 AM
try removing yoru airbox lid, or a foam filter it might helo alot!

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
i dont want to remove the airbox lid because i do alot of riding in trhe mud sand and water cant have it off. have k and n filter. HMF told me to go to a .190 or down to a 170 depending on the plug.

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
and for you mustang.

GO F#&CK yourself.

hondarider2006
01-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing23
and for you mustang.

GO F#&CK yourself.

:huh

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 12:04 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

mustang
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
and for you mustang.

GO F#&CK yourself.
what is your deal? I was saying lucky ******* to the guy with the new trx 450. mabey you shold read the posts thoroughly prior to getting so upset. damb man calm down :grr: :macho

mustang
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
wish I had the new 450

cals400ex
01-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I just got a full HMF system and the headpipe on it just cherry red i mean i could cook a winnie on it:cool: I put the 180 they told me to put in it and it seems to run fine but once i get in 5th pinned it wants to die a little. im going to put a 170 in it tonight and hope that makes a difference. my needle is on the 3rd position and 3.5 out on the air screw. would to high of a jet do that or is the HMF supposed to get cherry red hot like that.(dont think so:confused: ) let me know. thanks:confused: :confused: :cool: :p :) :D :blah: :macho

is it red at idle, between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle, or full throttle. i can't imagine its red at full throttle with that 180 in. your too large on the mainjet if you ask me. however, changing the main won't fix your red header.

if its glowing at idle, get a larger pilot jet
if its glowing between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle, move your clip on the needle down one position.

mustang
01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
is it red at idle, between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle, or full throttle. i can't imagine its red at full throttle with that 180 in. your too large on the mainjet if you ask me. however, changing the main won't fix your red header.

if its glowing at idle, get a larger pilot jet
if its glowing between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle, move your clip on the needle down one position.

I agree

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 12:52 PM
it is glowing just sitting there idleing. i already have a 42 pilot jet. HMF told me to go up on the main to a 190. i think 180 is to high as it is also. i bought a 190 and 170 going to see whats goes from there. I dont think HMF knows there **** to be honest with you. im thinking about just taking it back and going with the sparks...

01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
it is glowing just sitting there idleing. i already have a 42 pilot jet. HMF told me to go up on the main to a 190. i think 180 is to high as it is also. i bought a 190 and 170 going to see whats goes from there. I dont think HMF knows there **** to be honest with you. im thinking about just taking it back and going with the sparks...

First off. Why are you bashing mustang for basically congratulating a new TRX owner??? You OK, need someone to talk to??

Anyway, your motor is telling you what to do with the jets. Most people would say i'm crazy for running a 146 main jet in my 416 with ported head and full flow system, and that I should be bigger. I don't go by what people tell me I go by what the MOTOR is telling me. It's either gonna stumble or backfire. If it stumbles go down on the main. opposite for the backfire. Dont' feel bad though, I know of a few people that had one hell of time gettin there FULL HMF system dialed in.

HondaRacing23
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
i thought he was talking about me my bad sorry dude. thanks peeps.

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
IT IS NORMAL for them to glow when idleing. It isn't telling you anything. There is no air moveing across it to cool it and it WILL do that.

By the way thanks for the congrats on the R. Now I can't wait for Sat. to go ride. it.:D :D

JDiablo
01-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I think you should let some of us ride that 450 for a lil bit,u remember what your mother told you about sharing now dont you:D

atvmxr
01-22-2004, 10:39 PM
this will sound counter-intuative, but if your exhaust is glowing red you motor is too rich. the excess gas is burning in the exhaust and thus causes the pipe to be hotter. if your bike is running lean the heat will be in the cylinder head and not in the exhuast pipe. a dull orange glow at night is normal, especially if you are doing 5th gear runs, but a bright red glow is a sign that the motor is too rich.

2004TRX450R
01-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
I think you should let some of us ride that 450 for a lil bit,u remember what your mother told you about sharing now dont you:D

Mama said there'd be days like this! But I don't recall what she said about shareing.:confused: :confused: :blah: :blah:

:D :D

HondaRacing23
01-23-2004, 08:12 AM
HMF Told me know matter how I jet it, its going to get red hot. I have a 190 in it and went to test it out and ended up breaking my ankle gonna be a few days before i get to ride now damnit. hehe thanks guys;)

cals400ex
01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
well how long are you leaving them idle. i know i can let mine idle for over 5 minutes and it won't turn red/orange in the night. you may want to move your clip on your needle to the 4th position if you have your bike modded pretty good.

YZROOSTINYA
01-23-2004, 05:15 PM
190 haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HondaRacing23
01-23-2004, 06:22 PM
different state mean different jetting. NOt one bike is going to be exactly the same even if they are side by side. I have the clip on the 3rd position and runs fine with the 180 and 190 both but it still gets red hot...i think im going to call colby monday and see what he thinks... i have heard about 9 different things to do so I dont know whos right...

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
190 haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yeah, i am with you. :eek:

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 01:43 AM
different state mean different jetting. NOt one bike is going to be exactly the same even if they are side by side. I have the clip on the 3rd position and runs fine with the 180 and 190 both but it still gets red hot...i think im going to call colby monday and see what he thinks... i have heard about 9 different things to do so I dont know whos right...

jetting will depend on the temp outside and your altitude. yes, your modifications matter too.

tell us if your headers are glowing at idle, between 1/8 to 3/4, or 3/4 to full throttle.

i have a feeling that between a few members on this site we can get you jetted pretty close. i have confidence.

YZROOSTINYA
01-24-2004, 09:28 AM
mine used to get red at idle in the winter. i changed to a 45 pilot over a 42, it doesnt get red now. 4th clip down and 155 main and i am perfect. 1500-2k feet and 15 degrees

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
mine used to get red at idle in the winter. i changed to a 45 pilot over a 42, it doesnt get red now. 4th clip down and 155 main and i am perfect. 1500-2k feet and 15 degrees

i don't know if you ever checked this out but it is something too look at. try flooring your bike at night with the lights off and see if your headers glow. i know it sounds stupid because it is hard to see, but i did this and i noticed my headers glow at night (when the bike is pinned) unless i run about a 160 mainjet. by the way i am running a similar set up as you, but i leave the airbox lid on and i am at a lower elevation. the headers glowing at full throttle makes me think i am approaching a lean state. however, i know it isn't lean enough to matter so i leave a 158 or 160 in for the winter months. if i go anything larger than a 160, it will loose power. i jet mine similar to how you jet yours.

cal

HondaRacing23
01-24-2004, 01:49 PM
it glows on an idle. HMF told me that i could run as high as a 200 main. it runs fine with a 180 and 190. Why does HMF (which is in ohio aobut an hour away from me tell me that. Everyone on here tells me that im crazy for running a 180 or 190 to run a 155 or 160. what should i run? colby told me to leave the clip on the 3rd now u people are telling me to put it on the 4th. which is it. I not trying to sound like an *** but i dont know who to believe becuase I have heard 20 different things to do?!? I am below 3000 feet. I dont think the pipe is glowing while in riding it just when it is idleing. thanks for the help but i still dont know what to think or do.:confused: :confused: :cool: :D :confused: :blah:

mustang93
01-24-2004, 02:22 PM
are you running stock or dyno jets?

2004TRX450R
01-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Like I said glowing at an idle is normal. If the place where you got your stuff from said to run a 180 or 190 then run that. I would imagine they would know what runs good with their products. Also if they are so close to you it is more likely that their atomospheric conditions are more like yours.

HondaRacing23
01-24-2004, 02:27 PM
stock jetting because the jet kit i have ony goes to 170 and it runs like **** with the jet kit it in anyways.

YZROOSTINYA
01-24-2004, 04:18 PM
YOU need to put the jets in and check. hmf, bush or saddam wont be able to tell you how to jet YOUR bike.

Listen to what the people have that have the same thing as you, not too many options here.

start with a 42 pilot 45 the largest
3rd clip on the needle, 4th if lean
155 main. 160 the largest

if it brakes up at 1/8 to 1/2 throttle change your clip to the 4th down. if it runs really hot and the plug is white when you do a wide open run then you main is lean, if its black then you rich

there is NO WAY you would need a 170-190 main. that is ludicrous. that size is HUGE. maybe if you were making 50 hp at the wheels.

ALSO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO AIR LEAKS

cals400ex
01-24-2004, 04:59 PM
if it glows at idle, turn your air skrew out.

for the needle, you can always leave it in the stock position. however, since jetting changes as the temp changes i leave the clip in the 3rd position in the really hot months and i put it in the 4th position in the cold months. if you notice your bike wanting to stumble when barely hitting the gas in first or second gear when you first get the bike out, move the clip to the 4th position and it shouldn't stumble anymore.

for the main i still say a 170 would be too large.

i agree, don't listen to hmf's jetting specs either. every bike is different and temp and elevation play a role here too.

HondaRacing23
01-25-2004, 07:59 AM
the guy at HMF told me that he runs a 200 on his 400ex and it runs strong. explain that?

2004TRX450R
01-25-2004, 09:57 AM
the guy at HMF told me that he runs a 200 on his 400ex and it runs strong. explain that?

HMF being close to you should know what you should run. Even if you in completely different conditions I would imagine that they have heard back from several people and pretty much know what to run in different conditions. Just put in it what they said to put in it and run it. Ultimately you will have to see how it runs and adjust accrdingly but I would use what they say as a starting point.

cals400ex
01-25-2004, 01:22 PM

you put in what you want. i am not going to argue. i can guarantee that you will have more power and yes it will be noticable if you run a smaller jet. its your bike so you can do what you want. just be prepared to be getting smoked by similar bikes as yours in the upper gears.

the bike will probally run just fine with the 200 in it. however, it just won't have near as much power as it should. i called hmf numerous times as a friend considered buying one of their pipes. there elevation i believe was actually higher than mine here which means they would need a smaller jet than here. also, the temp they tested it in was 60 degrees if i remember correctly. here it is colder than that now meaning you would need even a smaller jet where they are at than where i am at.

try this:
go out and buy 2 mainjets. buy the 200 and then a 160 or 162.
put them both in and floor it all the way up to top speed on a straight away and you tell me which one made the bike run better. if you can't notice a difference you just don't know your bike good enough yet. however, it will be a big difference.

when i put my x-6 on my bike i installed the 165 keihin main at first. i drove it and it didn't feel much different than stock. i then went down to a 155 (it was summer meaning you need a smaller jet than winter months) and that difference in jet sizes made it feel like a different bike.
good luck

northeast400
01-25-2004, 02:24 PM
my system glows and all the jet changes so far have not made it stop glowing

cals400ex
01-25-2004, 04:55 PM
mine don't glow at idle or 1/8 to 3/4 or full throttle. i check this by going down a country straight away at night.

HondaRacing23
01-25-2004, 08:24 PM
mine is running pretty good with a 170 now.

Tortured Z
02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Cals right your jetted way too lean.

I had the same problem and did everything everybody told me. Finally after numerous jetting configurations I just ignored the glowing pipe and jetted it the recomended way. My jetting is spot on according to the spark plug and the pipe still glows red when I throttle it up sitting still but not when I'm riding it. I finally got ahold of HMF and was told most after market pipes including theirs will glow red because they are using thinner material than the manufaturer.

Basically it's the nature if the beast.

JW450R1
02-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I INSTALLED A FULL HMF EXHAUST ON MR 450R.IT WAS GLOWING RED TO.I CALLED HMF ,AND THEY SAID IT WAS NORMAL.I REALLY WASN'T HAPPY WITH THAT ANSWER THOU.MY PLUG LOOKES AWSOME FROM THE MAIN,AND THE PILOT JETS..???
I INSTALLED ONE SIZE BIGGER PILOT JET.RODE IT AND CK'D THE PLUG.IT WAS STILL.OK.BUT THE HEAD PIPE DIDN'T GLOW CHEERY RED ANY-MORE.SO I THINK I FIXED IT.

cals400ex
02-20-2005, 01:14 AM
yes, the thin walled pipes will glow more. i had mine thermal coated so now i never see it glowing. i really never had mine glow at idle too much. if it glows at idle you can turn the fuel screw out a bit. if it was glowing when cruising, i just lowered the needle clip one position and the glowing greatly diminished. i found lowering the needle clip actually made it run better in the winter months anyways. by the way, this was on a stock engine with air box lid mods. in the summer, i think one position lower was a bit too much.