PDA

View Full Version : CR, CRF style brake

carbonfiber440
01-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried or has replaced thier front brake master cylinder with a CR or CRF both are the same, master cylinder. i am asking because i was wondering if it would be better perfomance wise, would it create more brakeline pressure than stock?

K_Fulk
01-22-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure about the pressure. The main thing you would have to worry about is if the handle is long enough to reach past the thumb throttle. I have thought about doing it but stainless brake line fix any pressure porblems you may have. Or converting to 250r twin piston calipers but that is a high dollar swap.

01-23-2004, 07:27 AM
I know you can use CRF450 dirtbike front caliper on the rear end of a 400ex with 250R rotors. Me and pappy are tryin to find all the parts right now to do that on my quad. You will also need a special mounting bracket for this to work.

Pappy
01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
im gonna say that if you used all the new trx front stuff it will work. spindles, calipers rotors etc. the crf bike front caliper wont work that im aware of thats why everyone uses R parts.

the front crf bike caliper and mount along with a 250r rear rotor, rotor hub and new billet mount from gt thunder works great!!!

its yet to be seen of the new trx rear set up offers any clearence advantages over using the R components but if those parts can be used it would be an easy swap to older 400ex's

440ex kid
01-23-2004, 08:20 AM
The stock crf450 master cylinder has to be modified to get past the thumb throttle. We treid it on my friends 400ex and once the brakes got hot, it would not push enough fluid.

brandonpeake
01-23-2004, 09:04 AM
when u swith the the r rotor on the rear for more clearance, what about the sprocket? it seems to sit as low as the brake rotor

if it does not make sense ill elaborate

01-23-2004, 09:12 AM
The rotor is bigger than the sprocket with chain on it. I know this for a fact because I can adjust my axle carrier and the rotor hits the skid before the chain does...;) It's not by much but the rotor is a tad biggerer..:)

brandonpeake
01-23-2004, 10:11 AM
b/c i was looking at it and it seemed that my skid was about equal low to the ground on both sides, rotor and sprocket , so i was wanting to know if people did the r rotor mod for clearance on just one side?

01-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
b/c i was looking at it and it seemed that my skid was about equal low to the ground on both sides, rotor and sprocket , so i was wanting to know if people did the r rotor mod for clearance on just one side?

Most do it for better stopping power. An the clearance issue would mainly be for MX i would say since you don't run a skid plate.

carbonfiber440
01-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys. Was gonna try this ut fior the front, cause the front master cylinder is only $130. also thought it would work alot better than the stock set up. i already have steel lines was just looking for more stopping power.
thanks

01-23-2004, 11:46 AM
THe stock brake lever and rezzy will work fine with the CRF caliper. The caliper is what your lookin for since you want better stopping power. Dual piston compared to a single, heck yeah.

Crawl69
01-24-2004, 09:11 PM
do you guys think that its really worth switching to a crf caliper on the rear, I thought that the rear brakes worked pretty good. It's the front brakes that feel weak to me.

deathman53
01-24-2004, 10:32 PM
then get 250r fronts and baldwin adapters. that should solve the problem

d-14 rider 27
01-25-2004, 12:10 AM
the front crf master cylinder does NOT work with 250r front calipers, i didnt try it on 400ex calipers, but it does not move enough fluid for 250r calipers, it might stop, but the lever pulled all the way to the bar like nothing, and yes the brakes were bled and it has steel lines. theres nothing wrong with the stock front master cyl, just keep that

01-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Crawl69
do you guys think that its really worth switching to a crf caliper on the rear, I thought that the rear brakes worked pretty good. It's the front brakes that feel weak to me.

Sounds like you need to buy some stainless line's if you are still running the stockers.

Crawl69
01-25-2004, 11:26 AM
I have streamline ss lines. I was probably going to make some new brackets to adapt 250r calipers on the front.