PDA

View Full Version : compare tire wear

Red Rooster
08-19-2001, 12:12 PM
hole shot vs. turf tamer vs. razr
i need a tire that does sand, snow, hardpack, and loam/gravel
will these tires work. What about fast trekkers please compare the wear characteristics of these tires

Stevo
08-19-2001, 01:18 PM
All three of the tires you asked wear pretty fast. The holeshots wear the fastest than the tamers and the best wearing one would be the razrs, even though their not the best. I have gbc shredders and they wear really good. I have maxxis all-traks 22 inch size that also wears good.

Red Rooster
08-19-2001, 03:21 PM
how are shredders in sand and snow

trx400ex
08-19-2001, 03:33 PM
have you had all these tires?? .red rooster- the tamers where the fastest, but for the conditions you describe would work the best except snow. razrz would probably be about even with holeshot in wear and in the snow.but i dont like razrs for anything but mud and snow

Red Rooster
08-19-2001, 07:04 PM
do you guys know about fast trekkers they look like the tread might work real good for mud snow and sand

crday98
08-20-2001, 12:51 AM
the all-traks would be the best in the snow,there was a tire shootout a few years back and the all-trak was the only tire that had a rating for snow.i have them,they hook up good on all surfaces.we have a lot of sand-like coal silt in my area and i never had a problem with them.i think all maxxis tires have good tread life.

4punksdad
08-21-2001, 06:29 PM
the october dirt wheels has a sport tire shootout.

tamers were no good in deep mud, all-traks were not even tested,

fast trekkers were good except prone to flats & slid sideways too easily........
I have fast trekkers on my sons LT-80 and that thing will rip donuts in deep grass :o

the new kenda desert dogs were rated fairly high.

the razrs did well in all conditions but were said to wear quickly like the tamers.

smokin01'400
08-21-2001, 08:08 PM
which tire out of......
TurfTamers.....Shredders......Razrs........Holesho ts, would last the longest on dirt and paved roads. i ride mostly dirt roads but spin them alot:cool: i wont be riding my quad much anymore this fall until soccer is over, so when i ride, i will have some fun. later

crday98
08-22-2001, 12:25 AM
3punksdad,the issue i was alking about was about 2-3 years back:)i will have to dig it out and see how they compared the few suggested.

08-22-2001, 02:58 PM
hey smokin it doesn't matter which tire. maybe u should by the cheapest ones u can find. NONE of them will last if u ride on pavement. i ride on pavement all the time and my 4 month old stockers are already bald. when i get new ones im staying off the black top

4punksdad
08-22-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by crday98
3punksdad,the issue i was alking about was about 2-3 years back:)i will have to dig it out and see how they compared the few suggested.

yes it will be interesting to see what they said then, compared to what they say NOW.

08-22-2001, 06:08 PM
I also have the all-traks 22 inch. I have about 2000 km on them (1250 miles) and are hardly wore at all. Good traction everywhere; mud, snow, grass, mossy type woods ground, hardpack, and loose dirt. They will spin on gravel roads, but all tires do. You can slide prett good too. plus, with the 22'', you get an extra inch of ground clearence, very important for woods riding.

crday98, what preassure do you use? I find 5psi is a bit rough and harsh. 3.5 gives a better ride. how about you?

08-22-2001, 06:48 PM
i used to run 4 pounds in all 4 tires until last week. i was flying up a trail through the woods and hit a rock and pinched the sidewall on my front tire. took 5 plugs to patch it. then it still leaked. finally ended up getting some huge plugs from where i work. now i run 5 in my back tires and 8 in the front. its not fun riding home on a flat

smokin01'400
08-22-2001, 08:09 PM
i am gonna try to stay off pavement as much as possible, i found turf tamers for 31.99 a piece out of Rocky Mountain. i am thinking of buying them...they are 18/9.50/8 so i will get a package deal and and extra set of tires for when those wear out. i dont know if i want to get small tires though cause i put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front and it winds out really quick now and i dont hold it wide open cuase it stresses the motor...so i was gonna get 22' Razrs too even things out alittle then add a rev kit too. what are your guys opinion? later

skemp
08-23-2001, 10:16 AM
18 inch tires with a 14 tooth sprocket? You will have a 4 speed manual instead of 5. :D
Seriously though, that would be geared really low. It would have serious low end power, but it would really suck for top speed.

08-23-2001, 02:17 PM
It does,,I added a 14 tooth to mine after the 18in tires and yeah, there is no 1st gear and talk about some neck jerkin torque in 1st,,,good lord it's crazy,,,my 15 toother's back on it now...

smokin01'400
08-23-2001, 08:28 PM
thanks...now that i think about it, it's stupid to do that. how about 22' inch razrs? now that i have the torque to turn them, would they be good? i was also gonna put a rev box on to give me back some of the top end that i lost. hopefully the tires and box will even things out

4punksdad
08-25-2001, 04:46 AM
the rev box will not give you top end.........have you hit the rev limit yet?

also, I understand those rev boxes are quite problematic in the winter.

smokin01'400
08-25-2001, 12:00 PM
yes i have hit the rev limiter a few times, but i dont normally push my quad that hard. but now with the smaller sprocket, it's constant. i thought more revs equals more speed???? later

timewass
12-11-2002, 11:56 AM
I have 6ply Dessert Dogs on my 00' EX and love them. Holeshots get too many flats and stock radials are too soft. These are good tires and I have had them for 3 months now with no flats and they look like brand new. I'm going to do a review on them soon.

Maryland 400EX
12-11-2002, 04:50 PM
From what I've read from old posts it looks like the majority of guys who ride on hard pack and pavement claim that the 6 ply Bandits are indestructable. They claim that the Bandits last for 2 to 3 years because they are so tough. They're heavy though...

4punksdad
12-13-2002, 06:02 PM
I have seen 3 ex's with bandits. none of them were very impressive in the wet trail conditions. I am not talking mud.....simply hard pack slimey trails. They simply don't hook up. And my buddy just bought a set that came with one totally deformed tred pattern. I gotta get pics of it the next time I see him.

I stand by the stock tires or turf tamers.

Maryland 400EX
12-13-2002, 07:31 PM
4 Punks, I just ordered a set of Turf Tamers. I'm taking your word that they'll hold up to trail riding. Rocky Mountain says the Turf Tamers don't have matching fronts. Is this true?

phatswinn
12-14-2002, 05:47 PM
im fine with my bandits, ive had them for a year with minimal wear and i ride allot of pavement on the way to trails, not one flat and ive never had to fill them up cuz there is just no leakage, there ok for slimey stuff, allitle slipping makes it fun, just dont try to use them in snow

4TraxRider
12-14-2002, 08:48 PM
i got a set of treckers on my zilla. I like them alot other than the fact they get flats alot. Stay off the roads though. They wear pretty quik on the pavement.

4punksdad
12-15-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
4 Punks, I just ordered a set of Turf Tamers. I'm taking your word that they'll hold up to trail riding. Rocky Mountain says the Turf Tamers don't have matching fronts. Is this true?

not true..........I have recently been seeing turf tamer fronts in the mags. they have a tred pattern like a stock 400ex front except with knobs similar to a tamer knobby.

keep looking around........you will find a set.