PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise?????

JP400ex
01-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Just got a 2002 400ex 2 weeks ago and i was told i need to replace the valve seals because it smokes a little bit when it first starts. So i ordered the seals and was going to replace next week. When i first got the bike 2 weeks ago i checked the oil and it needed a little bit so i filled it up. Well tonight i just went out to let it warm up for a couple minutes and it started making kind of a whining noise out of the head/cylinder area so i shut it off real quick and pulled out the dipstick. There was only a drop on the very end. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I put 1 3/4 qts of oil in and checked the dipstick and it read full and started the motor up and it didn't make the noise at first but after about 30 seconds it started doing it again. What does this sound like? Sounds bad to me. Below is some of the mods done to the motor.

416ex
Ported
Web Cam

RedEX Baron
01-21-2004, 09:32 PM
not sure about the top end of a 400 but if it is like my 300 i would think that maybe one of the Cam bearings was starving for oil and making the noise???

cals400ex
01-21-2004, 11:43 PM
this noise is common in the 400ex's. i know exactly what your talking about. every 400ex that i have heard does it. however, i don't think many people notice it because they don't have an ear for engines. i am not sure what it is, but don't worry about it. just make sure you are full on oil. 400ex's are known to burn a little oil here and there from what i read so make sure you check that every ride or so.

maybe that whining is from the blower that was installed before you bought the bike?? :eek:

just kidding, don't worry about the noise.

JP400ex
01-22-2004, 08:13 AM
The weird part is,,, its never made this noise before and its quite noticable. Im tempted to run it for a couple more minutes to see if it goes away but my friend told me not to start it until we get a chance to pull the head and cylinder and take a look at the piston/cylinder and the cam.

mustang
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
I get the same thing sometimes it sounds like its comming from the left side of the engine (as you sit on it) it usaly when cold and then it goes away

UglyMotha™
01-22-2004, 10:47 AM
yah they all have the sound but if you just installed a belly skid it will be more noticable

and if your pulling the cylinder don't forget to get it honed, but i wouldn't pull it if i was you, it would just be a waste of time if there was somthing wrong in that department it would be banging and clanking instead of just whining

markk
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
well you where still safe sorta on checking the oil rember on a 400ex u have the oil holding tank, with is alot deeper than your dipstick, Is the oil pump getting to oil to your top end,
and u do know that u check your oil after u had the motor started for about 5-10 min, i would change the oil and filter, looking for metel on the filter, then refill it, it sould take just a hair over 2 quarts,

this is me, but i wouldnt replace valve guid seals unless i was tearing my motor down to do some real work on it.

look at the lobs on your cam shaft, and look for like a scratch/ kinda like a when the metel gets hot and frys itself, kinda discolored, and then adjust your valves.

if u need a new cam i have a cam in perfect shape, just pulled it out of my stock 400ex less than one month ago, for motorwork
goodluck

markk
01-22-2004, 11:14 AM
oh yeah check yoru timing chain tensioner

sprtrx300ex
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
My 300 and 400 make that noise. Every 400ex I've ever heard makes that noise. Its the oil pump. I wouldnt worry about it.

Also, read in your manaul on how to check the oil. I believe you have to let it sit on level ground for 2 min or so after you turn it off before checking. You can overfill it easily, so make sure you check it first.

MNTNMAN
01-23-2004, 08:38 AM
It is alot louder if you have skids under the motor. Every 400EX I have ever been around has made that noise.

EXDuner
01-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Mine does the same thing. I thought it was weird, but no worries. I'm glad to hear others are hearing the same noise and it's not just me:D

remlapr
01-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Mines been making one helluva noise lately when it's cold. I'm talking it almost sounds like a shaft drive on v-force. It didn't do this until recently and it seems to go away once it's warm - but it doesn't sound good. It's actually loud enought that someone riding in front of me with a helmet on and both of our quads running could hear it :eek: I've decided to say *** it and hope that it doesn't blow up before I pull it and put in my new motor...

sparks400
01-23-2004, 09:31 PM
mine(400ex) does the same thing and i havent had any problems with it, and if ur worried about ur top its not that cuz i just put in a piston and cam, and it still does it, i dont worry about it cuz i dont have problems with my motor, everything is up to calculation in my motor