PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 Battery Problems

Quad18star
01-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Well I picked up my 450 from the dealer Monday night . I had gave them a short notice that I was picking it up so the battery wasn't fully charged . It had enough power to turn the bike over and start it at the dealer that night . When i got home I unloaded it and the bike wouldn't start . It was makign a buzzing noise like it was trying to start but had a dead battery . I put it on the trickle charger for 12 hours that night , came home from work and it started up without a problem a few times . Now tonight I go into the garage , turn the key , push the button and it fires up .. idles for maybe 45 seconds then stalls . Try to restart and the buzzing noise happens again . Battery is dead once again . When the bike was runnign I ahd the lights on and as soon as i would hit the throttle the lights got bright , left off the throttle they went to normal. Seems like a voltage regulator problem. Now i guess I'll have to bring the battery back to Yamaha and ask for a new one . Nothing pisses me off more than soemthing like this happening . Pay 10Gs for a bike and it wont even start . Better be the first and only problem with the bike or Yamaha is gunna get an ear full from me on this one .

Pappy
01-21-2004, 08:31 PM
ive posted this before....

if the battery isnt filled and allowed to sit for 8 hours MINIMUM it will leave you sitting. the dealerships arent following the updated and revised YUASA filling and charging methods.

AlaskaSpeed
01-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Yep...you have to take responsibility for taking care of things. Just assume the dealer don't know $hit; not a far stretch. You should at least have a good charge going on the battery...I have no problems; nor have the other 5 YFZ owners in my class....JIM

Quad18star
01-21-2004, 09:49 PM
The battery in the quad is a dry cell battery isnt it? I was just reading over at douggust.com that I should only charge the battery with a charger from Yamaha themselves which retail for 60$ US , therefore 80 Canadian . Ive also read in dirtwheels that this is common in the first batch of bikes sold . I got bike number 584 i believe . Maybe I got one from the bad batch?? I'll have to see my dealer about it tomorrow because this is nonsense . Shouldnt have to put the battery on a charger after every ride or when letting it sit for more than 8 hrs .

I had you guys right up until you said soemthign about sitting for a minimum of 8 hours?? Maybe help me out and explain what I should do , IF the dealership doesn't come good with this problem . Thanks pappy and Jim .... by the way Jim ... your bike is siiiiiiiiiick ... pappy urs is also :D I get all pumped about getting a new quad ... then this happens ... nothign like raining on my parade !!!:(

Pappy
01-21-2004, 10:38 PM
tell your dealer to update thier filling and charging procedures. if they are recieveing thier batteries activated tell them they are junk.

upgrade to part #CYT12ABS mod the battery tray and forget about it:devil:

trust me i know just a wee bit about the battery issue:devil:

trueblue450
01-22-2004, 08:50 AM
should i get this done.. i havent had a problem with my battery yet though??

YAMAHAVIPER
01-22-2004, 08:51 AM
YOUR BATTERY WAS NOT FULLY CHARGED ,THE BATTERY MUST BE FULLY CHARGED AND CHECKED BEFORE YOU LEFT WITH YOUR BIKE.THE BATTERY IS NOT FILLED AT THE DEALERSHIP IT IS FILLED AT THE FACTORY,YOU PROBABLY DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER CHARGER .IF YOU TAKE THE BATTERY BACK TO YOUR DEALER HE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU.WE HAVE SOLD 21 YFZ 450 AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH BATTERIES.

Pappy
01-22-2004, 08:52 AM
just about all the folks i have personal dealings with have upgraded. its not a "must do" but the stock battery isnt going to cut it in GNCC racing. for mx...if you arent having trouble you maybe ok...but we have already switched 2 yfz's over that run in the gnc's

Bill Fuller
01-22-2004, 08:53 AM
$10,000:eek2:

Pappy
01-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
$10,000:eek2:

he is canadian:devil: makes it sound pretty bad tho $10grand:huh

Bill Fuller
01-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Whew (exhales now) poor Canadians:D I'm torn between the Yahmaha and the Honda.I have permission:devil: from the 'ol ball and chain but I just don't know what to do.Spend money on the Cannondale or buy a new scooter.I just don't think I could do another kick start(I swore them off years ago,got the scars on the shin to prove it)I don't know if I could bear to purchase a Yahmaha either(I know they make a good product)I like the Dale but I want somthing new:confused:

Pappy
01-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Whew (exhales now) poor Canadians:D I'm torn between the Yahmaha and the Honda.I have permission:devil: from the 'ol ball and chain but I just don't know what to do.Spend money on the Cannondale or buy a new scooter.I just don't think I could do another kick start(I swore them off years ago,got the scars on the shin to prove it)I don't know if I could bear to purchase a Yahmaha either(I know they make a good product)I like the Dale but I want somthing new:confused:

i said screw it and bought another dale:eek:

Quad18star
01-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey Pappy ... what kind of modifications are needed to do the battery upgrade ?? Is it a bigger battery? Thanks for the info guys ... much appreciated!!

Wingnut
01-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Hey Pappy ... what kind of modifications are needed to do the battery upgrade ??

I'd like to know also. Got any pics?

I know the YT12A-BS is a larger battery, I've got one on my 400.

Pappy
01-23-2004, 10:13 PM
yes the upgraded # is larger. all thats required is to trim a small amount of plastic from inside the tray and 2 longer bolts for the holddown. takes about 10 minutes and works great. mainly the gncc guys have been doing it but we have had a few mx quads changed over that suffered from the battery issue.

Quad18star
01-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Awesome information ... much appreciated . I brought my old battery into the dealer and he gave me another and it seems to hold its charge way betetr than the other . I guess i got a lemon the first time . If I encounter any other problems I'll make sure to do this mod . Once again thanks for the info .

I still havent had the chance to try the quad out yet ... way too cold ( -40) and I dont feel like having to rejet it . Come on warm weather .

Quad18star
01-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Is battery #CYT12ABS a Yuasa battery??? I looked on their site and the number didnt show up .... I'll have to check the books at work and see if I can find it if it is infact a Yuasa battery.

Pappy
01-23-2004, 10:26 PM
yes it is a yuasa battery. i sell them mainly because no one stocks them. they arent cheap and low sales volume is the reason. 465stroker gave me the tip on that # for use in cdales and we just started using them in 400ex's with high compression or cold climates.

all cycle batteries use a variation of the same numbers, but dont skimp, use YUASA:macho ( i have to say that but its the best cycle battery made and thats why we sell them;) )

Quad18star
01-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Awesome .... I was WAY too busy at work today to even have the chance to look it up in the catalogues . What price range do they run at in american dollars? I can sorta try and guess the Canadian price .

Pappy
01-24-2004, 05:05 PM
they should retial for around $85 or more depending on who is selling them. if you have a hook up it could be less. they arent cheap but well worth it when the extra power is needed.

Quad18star
01-24-2004, 05:17 PM
I found one from a Supplier we deal a lot with up at the store using the internet . Guess the battery is used in a 2000-2002 GSX-R750 street bike . Now I have to try and figure out the suppliers part number and see if they have any in stock . It's a lot easier to look in the catalogues as opposed to going page after page of an online catalogue . GRRR:mad:

Quad18star
01-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Well i just found it .... a Yuasa Battery is $156.95 ..... Thats INSANE . More than my car battery almost . I can get a DuraBatt Dynavolt for $86.95 , minus 10% dealer discount , plus my 20% employee discount . Still looking close to $115 Canadian .... guess that aint too far off the $85 US . We'll have to see how it holds up this summer .

You say it works a lot better for slower trail ridding and colder weather? I might need it cuz it's been like -30 to -40 for the last 2 weeks .

86350x
01-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Well i just found it .... a Yuasa Battery is $156.95 ..... Thats INSANE . More than my car battery almost . I can get a DuraBatt Dynavolt for $86.95 , minus 10% dealer discount , plus my 20% employee discount . Still looking close to $115 Canadian .... guess that aint too far off the $85 US . We'll have to see how it holds up this summer .

You say it works a lot better for slower trail ridding and colder weather? I might need it cuz it's been like -30 to -40 for the last 2 weeks .

Congradulations on the new quad:macho

Lol, similar temps here too right now, better jump up to a 190 main if your gonna ride right now.

biohazard1.2
01-31-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i said screw it and bought another dale:eek:

I thought you also bought a new YFZ...which did you get? If both, you dawg!

let us know the real deal on the comparo.