PDA

View Full Version : Air Scoops?

KASCHAK
01-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Anyone have airscoop diagrams that i can have to make a set. i have an idea on what im doing but i dont know were the bottom bold will go. i know the top one is on the plactic mount but were is the other? in the back behind somewere?? if anyone can get some close ups of airscoops on and off of your 400 would be greatly appreciated (spelling) thank you in advance. :D

foleyit
01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
My OMFs mount on the bottom between the plastic and the frame.

KASCHAK
01-21-2004, 08:12 PM
:huh were at. ok the top one is right under the front fenders. but were is the bottom one connect at?

cracer250
01-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Instead of copying another design, just buy some tinners. Great scoops for about the same price it will cost you to buy materials and make them.

dariusld
01-22-2004, 05:00 PM
use search (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35106&highlight=scoops)

exrider123
01-22-2004, 05:12 PM
http://www.nyriders.com/reviews/omfscoops/omf04.jpg

http://www.nyriders.com/reviews/omfscoops/omf08.jpg

DantheEXman
01-22-2004, 05:28 PM
My tinner scoops cracked along the bends... ALL OF THEM. Only 20% of the metal is still holding the whole thing together.

zlam27
01-22-2004, 05:34 PM
i got X-factor scoops from C&D and if you are thinking of getting a set, GET THESE. from the pics posted, they look almost EXACTLY like OMF scoops and they are very sturdy. polish up to a mirror finish also if thats what you want.

anyway, they bolt up at both ends of the fender bracket at the bottom if you wanted to know. if you shaved your fenders then they will look like the pics. if needed ill get you some measurements. let me know, thanks.

zach

wheeltrax
01-22-2004, 09:56 PM
I havnt had a problem with the tinners, I dont see how they can crack? Unless you didnt connect them right or your somehow putting ungodly stress on them!?

simoniz
01-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Does anybody know what size bolts come with the OMF scoops for a 400EX. I bought some used and they came with the spacers but no bolts.

Thanks

simoniz
01-23-2004, 05:55 AM
BUMP

01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
I"ve got the first actual set of scoops that Tinner sold. I actually helped him get the ball rolling on the scoops he now sells. Heck of a nice guy, but anywho I"ve been running his scoops for a few years and they have held up great with no breaks or failures anywere..:cool:

LazeR
01-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm taking a shop class at school where i am going to learn to weld... If i was to maybe try and build a set of air scoops what would be the best route? and How would you guys try it? also what kind of metal should i use... Thanx in advance

KASCHAK
01-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cracer250
Instead of copying another design, just buy some tinners. Great scoops for about the same price it will cost you to buy materials and make them.

i got all the materials.

DantheEXman
01-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah mine are cracked on the corners... each one has a 4 inch crack on the bottoms. I have no idea why. They just sorta started to crack.

ridesa02400EX
01-24-2004, 06:19 PM
you dont need to know how to weld to make air scoops. all they are is a bent piece of metal with some holes drilled in it

tinner
01-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I've seen about 3 or 4 sets of my scoops cracked in the couple years I've made them ( 3 or 4 sets is pretty good when hundreds have been sold). I will tell you why those sets cracked.... (and Dan, I'm not saying you did this) The sets that cracked were not installed correctly. The zip ties that came with the scoops were not used, thus making the scoop prone to vibration and then cracking. If yours cracked through no fault of your own, and it was an "act of god", then I think we can work something out. Just drop me a line.

DantheEXman
01-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by tinner
I've seen about 3 or 4 sets of my scoops cracked in the couple years I've made them ( 3 or 4 sets is pretty good when hundreds have been sold). I will tell you why those sets cracked.... (and Dan, I'm not saying you did this) The sets that cracked were not installed correctly. The zip ties that came with the scoops were not used, thus making the scoop prone to vibration and then cracking. If yours cracked through no fault of your own, and it was an "act of god", then I think we can work something out. Just drop me a line.

You are correct. I did not install the zip ties that were supplied with the scoops. I had no Idea they would be so important in the life span of the scoops. I should have known better. This was an error on my part.

But besides that, the scoops are a great investment. Most of the "other" scoops mount to the plastic, and do not provide the extra support (zip ties) that are included with Tinners scoops. So when they break, they take the plastic with them... Not Tinners! Im ordering another set from him right now.