Out_Sider
01-21-2004, 05:10 PM
they any good?

Black400
01-21-2004, 08:18 PM
yes

Jpoutlaw250R
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I also have a quiestion about these, can you change from regular ball joints to these heim joints? Thanks

crap-banshee32
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
heim joints are usually built right into the are...and yes, they are good..i have them...no problems what so ever.

these are heim joints on my arms...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/peb9ec8eb8fc9f14566a7f9adac38f9f1/f9f24c59.jpg

mxracer
01-22-2004, 07:21 AM
How the heim joint are fixed to the arms, I know that the standard ball joint are thread to the arms but i don't know how the heim are fixed
Thanks

01-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by mxracer
How the heim joint are fixed to the arms, I know that the standard ball joint are thread to the arms but i don't know how the heim are fixed
Thanks

I think poopbanshee didn't read the title very well and is referring to A-arms not ball joints.

I'd say yes they are better but the cost is ridiculous...:rolleyes:

400extracc
01-22-2004, 10:37 AM
i have these same ball joints on my a-arms.......the only thing i noticed is that there is no boot to protect the grease, so you have to bring some lub of grease when you go riding or they will start to squeek!!!

anyone have a better way????

thx:macho

crap-banshee32
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I think poopbanshee didn't read the title very well and is referring to A-arms not ball joints.

I'd say yes they are better but the cost is ridiculous...:rolleyes:

actually..i did read the title, i have heim joints on my a-arms, i was showing a picture of them incase anyone didnt know what they looked like.

fasterz
01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
heim joints are usually built right into the are...and yes, they are good..i have them...no problems what so ever.

these are heim joints on my arms...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/peb9ec8eb8fc9f14566a7f9adac38f9f1/f9f24c59.jpg
are you runing stock offset or 4:1. i cant decide on what i want to get

Out_Sider
01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
so they are worth getting? Cuz im gonna be buyin some cheap ASR a arms, and they have heim ball joints..but about this greasing them alot? wats up with that?? do u have to, or is it just good to so they dont wear out?

crap-banshee32
01-22-2004, 03:58 PM
i rarely greese mine..they dont squeek or anything...

im running stock offset..

Nick

400extracc
01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
i have the asr. have had them for a year now......they're good for the price and heavy duty. but if i were to buy another set of a-arms i wouldn't go with heim ball joints. that just me....!

if your look'n for a nice set of a-arms for good price, the bergaurd ones on e-bay sound nice. and there like $395.00. not bad.

good luck!:macho

4TraxRider
01-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I had ASR arms with heim joints on my old EX for a little while before my LSR's. They bent in a crash and the heim joints seemed to wear rather quickely. They had two months or riding on them before they bent and they showed noticable signs of wear.

Out_Sider
01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
well ASR re-did thier Heim Joints...there supposedly MUCH better now

Black400
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
ya i had asr just make sure you keep the bottom of them tight! i allmost killed myself at the dunes a ball joint poped out when i was 10 feet in the air about 4 gear 3/4 throttle... Well the arms didnt bend at all and i was vry surprised! but that has happened to me twice. once at the dunes and once at the track... Result going over the bars:eek: and a quad following close behind you! lol

400grl
01-22-2004, 09:14 PM
We have also had experience with ASR heim joints - the problem is that the ball wears in the socket so much that there gets to be too much play in the socket....next thing you know the ball pops out. The ball joint "sharpens" the socket - wears it thin.....and the socket wears down the ball.....I am sure the happens to any heim joint at some point....just seems to happen quickly with ASR stuff.

I have always preferred the sealed stuff myself...much less wear and tear and low maintenance.

boogiechile
01-23-2004, 07:48 AM
There are many different types oh heim joints. Two, three and four piece construction types. they all look the same and there are teflon ones and non teflon ones. they can be made out of several diffent kinds of meatl with or without hardening processes. they come in varying strengths and the prices vary a bunch. Quality heims will last a long time even though they are not sealed. The ASR heims are not good quality, or at least the ones they used early on where not. I don't know if they have changed them or not.

Also heim joints usually refer to a spherical type bearing mounted with a threaded shank(male or Female). a male is like a normal threaded shaft ball joint. The term spherical bearing is usually used to describe the same type bearing but without the shank, just the bearing part itself. These are pressed into a housing. The pics that Crap-banshee put up are of spherical bearings. the two are the same at the bearing part so wear and stuff would be the same if the quality of both was equal.

Quadworks
01-23-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but to me I don't see any heim joints being used as ball joints on Crap-banshees quad.:confused: The way I learned it ball joints connect to the spindle not the frame.

Pappy
01-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 400extracc
i have these same ball joints on my a-arms.......the only thing i noticed is that there is no boot to protect the grease, so you have to bring some lub of grease when you go riding or they will start to squeek!!!

anyone have a better way????

thx:macho

yeah, buy a set of a arms that are designed with off road use in mind

cdalejef
01-23-2004, 09:02 AM
we have a nice little heim joint boot that keeps the grease in and the funk out.

400grl
01-23-2004, 09:05 AM
What are the pros and cons of each? (heim vs ball)

crap-banshee32
01-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Quadworks
I don't know about the rest of you but to me I don't see any heim joints being used as ball joints on Crap-banshees quad.:confused: The way I learned it ball joints connect to the spindle not the frame.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pe2807df49c6920de0dcd9a6e4077cdce/f9da3649.jpg

boogiechile
01-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Those joints on crap-banshee's quad are called spherical bearings. Did you guys not read my post above about heim and spherical bearings. here is part of it again:

"Also heim joints usually refer to a spherical type bearing mounted with a threaded shank(male or Female). a male is like a normal threaded shaft ball joint. The term spherical bearing is usually used to describe the same type bearing but without the shank, just the bearing part itself. These are pressed into a housing. The pics that Crap-banshee put up are of spherical bearings. the two are the same at the bearing part so wear and stuff would be the same if the quality of both was equal."

ridesa02400EX
01-23-2004, 11:03 PM
we have been using heim joints on our steering for our rock crawling rigs. if they can hold up to the abuse of rock crawling they should be able to hold up on a quad

cdalejef
01-24-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by ridesa02400EX
we have been using heim joints on our steering for our rock crawling rigs. if they can hold up to the abuse of rock crawling they should be able to hold up on a quad We use them for the 4 link suspension ends on our crawler as well as the steering ends. No problems here either.

bmw500hp
01-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 400extracc
i have the asr. have had them for a year now......they're good for the price and heavy duty. but if i were to buy another set of a-arms i wouldn't go with heim ball joints. that just me....!

if your look'n for a nice set of a-arms for good price, the bergaurd ones on e-bay sound nice. and there like $395.00. not bad.

good luck!:macho

Heims/Sphericals are a mainstay of auto, truck aftermarket suspension. The terminal components of the ASR's are pretty much junk. It's not to hard to tell as you remove them from there "made in china" poly drop.

Replace the ASR rod ends/sphericals with a brand like "Aurora" or teflon spherical of comparable quality. :)

Few suspension manufacturers choose the highest quality rod ends or sphericals as they cut the margin.

Black400
01-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Heims/Sphericals are a mainstay of auto, truck aftermarket suspension. The terminal components of the ASR's are pretty much junk. It's not to hard to tell as you remove them from there "made in china" poly drop.

Replace the ASR rod ends/sphericals with a brand like "Aurora" or teflon spherical of comparable quality. :)

Few suspension manufacturers choose the highest quality rod ends or sphericals as they cut the margin. can i find other ones that will fit in my arms?

boogiechile
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM
I buy mine here: http://www.aedmotorsport.com/FK/index.html
I usually buy the jm series at abou 18 bucks for a 3/4 inch heim.
Schroll down the list at the left to see the different types.

brokeitin3
02-01-2004, 05:50 AM
I can provide sealmaster, aurora, skf, or nsk spherical bearings and rod ends. just let me know if anyone needs any help

jeff1984
02-01-2004, 08:41 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a standard ball joint last longer as far slop. and, isn't a heim syle ball joint stronger