PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer advice - help me out

remlapr
01-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I'll be pulling it with my V-8 Durango so I won't be going too crazy. I'm looking for some advice from people that own one or know a lot about them, in particular:

What is the difference between torsion axles and regular?

How much of a difference does a V-nose really make when pulling - will it really help with wind blowing the trailer around that much?

Electric brakes? I'm probably going to get one around the size where you can get one with or without brakes - how much of a difference to they really make?

One axle or two? How much more stable does the second axle make it when pulling?

Bottom line is I don't want to be stuck doing 55mph the whole way on a rode trip because my trailer is all over the road! Been there done that and it sucks! Makes a long trip MUCH longer...

400exdad
01-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I just built a large open single axle and here is what I think.

I think, to do over again, I would build a tandem. That way if you can get a little cheaper tire and not have to rely on a single axle carrying so much weight. My single tows great, but it is tongue heavy. If a tandem is loaded correctly, it will tow just fine. You have to worry about correct loading a little less with a tandem. Someone may disagree with me on that one...

Brakes. Mine doesn't have them, but I do have the option to add them. So far, no problem, my truck stops very well. But if it were wet, I may wish that I had them. I would spend the money and get the brakes. You won't regret it.

V-nose. I would think it would be a big difference in wind drag going down the road. I doubt it makes a big difference in cross winds.

Torsion axles cost extra, as you know, rider lower and provide a smoother ride. Most better trailers use them (as you know).

What length trailer are you looking at.? A friend of mine has a 20' x7.5' or 8' with a 7' ceiling enclosed with a workbench, a couch and sometimes 4 quads. His F250 powerstroke 4x4 is really nice to have when pulling that much load. His f150 Supercrew 4x4 was a little outgunned with it.

justdirt
01-21-2004, 05:27 PM
i'd go with a v-nose tandem, w/ brakes. but the problem won't be with pulling speed but with the amount of gas you use. we pull a 16' by 7' with a 2000 one-ton chevy van with a 350 V8 and we get about 8 or 9 miles a gallon.

tclapp
01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
so remlapar, you are planning on driving and taking braff1 and jesshamner and my self places in your boxed in trailer if you get oen with a couch ;)

remlapr
01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by tclapp
so remlapar, you are planning on driving and taking braff1 and jesshamner and my self places in your boxed in trailer if you get oen with a couch ;)

LOL - your the one with the cummin's!!. I can't decide how big I want to go because I will be using it for just my quad also when I go on just day trips, so I don't want some big monster trailer then pull it around with only 1 quad in it 70% of the time. Smallest I'm going to go will be 5 x 10, biggest will probably be a 7 x 16 tandem, but they start getting pricey quick!.

416exmx
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
last year i bought a new haulmark 6x12 with 3' V-nose (6x15) single axle enclosed trailer. haha v-nose and single axle was the biggest mistake. i took off down the interstate and it was all over the road. i dont think haulmark even makes a smaller v-nose anymore because they pulled so bad... anyway, this year i bought a new haulmark 8 1/2x 20 tandem axle enclosed. it pulles great down the interstate. you want to make sure you get a rear ramp door also... you will regret it if you dont. also you need at least a 7' wide one so you can turn quads sideways. i think a 14' tandem axle looks funny and a 14' single axle looks funny.... a 7x16 would be a good size and you could pull it with your durango. that is what i went to buy a 7x16 and ended up with a 8 1/2x20..... hope this helped ya

jtej
01-21-2004, 06:47 PM
We have a 20'x8'x7' (inside dimensions) homemade trailer, tandem mobile home axles, 1/2 v-nose (as in top half), fully insulated, with garage door and fold down ramp in the back. With 6 quads, 2 bikes and all the gear the brakes are very handy. The v-nose was added after the fact since it was like pulling a parachute behind our suburban. As far as crosswinds having something that big is going to catch the wind no matter what (for example i was following my dad up to michigan and a gust of wind caught the trailer and i saw the headlights of the suburban twice and i was directly behind him.)

JD400exrider
01-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Tandem axle or single. Tandem. Will pull much better. Safer if you get a flat tire running down the road.

Brakes- Yes, Will save the brakes on your truck. They work very well. Just get a good quality brake controller. Trailers over a certian weight have to have brakes. Can't remeber the exact amount though.

V nose. I think the V nose will help out on the wind factor and possible gas mileage and they look kind of cool.

For the truck. You will see a big difference pulling with your V8 truck if you install a SINGLE 3" exhaust from the cat. converter back with a nice free flowing exhaust and a K&N air filter. You will be amazed on the difference this makes on a V8 gasser for towing.

Most people put dual exhaust on. The single is much better for towing. I have a cummins now so no worries, although before with my GMC 350 it worked great

What size trailer that is for you to research. I have not had an enclosed quad trailer. Have owned several horse trailers V nose and Non V nose
5th wheel camping trailers single and double axle.

First off see what the towing cap. of your truck is first and then shop for the trailer and weight it will carry from there. I would not take to the limit though.

Best brake controller I have found and love is the new PRODIGY by Tekonsha

Good Luck

remlapr
01-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'm either going to go pretty small if I go for a single axle - or go for a double axle with brakes and something around 14ft. I don't want any problems going 80mph down the interstate...

roostin_dale
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
one thing to remember..."IT will always be too small"

Electric brakes helped ALOT! And i really like our v-nose for all the extra storage and room to build cabinets! Rear ramp door and side door is also usefull. And depending on how tall you are get it taller. Standerd height is 6' i am 6'2 so we got ours extended to 6'6. Another thing is overhead lights...gotta get those so you can see. Vents help too, cant get too hott.

Also get the support tubing...i can't think of what it is called right now. It keeps the sides from getting wavy.

when we finaly broke down, me and my dad split the price and got a:
7x20 v-nose
Tandem Axle
Ramp door
Side door
Extended Height
Overhead lights
2 roof vents

We built cabinets in front(looks great, nicer than kitchen cabinets, i can get pics), work bench, checkard loor, tool box, generator, white and black walls, more lights installed. It just seems like it is never good enough or big enough. We are kind of like the poor people at the races and since we are only going to do this once(for a lond time anyways), we might as well do it right...

remlapr
01-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Sounds nice - do you have any pics of it from the outside? What are you pulling it with? Do you remember what you guys paid for it?

roostin_dale
01-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Sounds nice - do you have any pics of it from the outside? What are you pulling it with? Do you remember what you guys paid for it?

I dont have any pics now but i can get some sometime. We were pulling it with an f-150 but it had a hard time and my dad wanted a new truck anyways...so he got a Chevy 1/4 ton and it pulls MUCH easier. For as big as it is it was actually rather cheap...there is a small buisness in INdiana that build them nicer than haulmark...its called Michiana Trailer sales. I think it was just under $4,000??...which was much cheaper than a Haulmark.
It also has a Diamond plate stone guard....

tclapp
01-21-2004, 09:43 PM
where at in Indiana do they make those trailers? by the way remlapar there is a box trailer for sale down in jeffersonville right across from the arby's that says for sale best offer and it looks like a really nice trailer i know that it;s tandom but as far as length i dont know

Natertot426ex
01-22-2004, 07:48 AM
I have a 14 foot enclosed with the v nose. Tandem axle, electric brakes and barn doors. It pulls very easily. I with I would have spent the money and put a ramp rear door on it. it would make things a lot easier. here is a pic of it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p1e19da4eecc91b5e674bf91d969999ab/fa850406.jpg

remlapr
01-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
I have a 14 foot enclosed with the v nose. Tandem axle, electric brakes and barn doors. It pulls very easily. I with I would have spent the money and put a ramp rear door on it. it would make things a lot easier. here is a pic of it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p1e19da4eecc91b5e674bf91d969999ab/fa850406.jpg

Nice trailer Natertot - that looks like exactly what I want, how wide is it? Can you turn quads sidways inside it? What brand is it? How much did you pay for it if you don't mind??

Natertot426ex
01-22-2004, 09:06 AM
The inside on it is 6 feet 6 inches. Yes you can get them in sidways. It takes to people to do it. It is a C&B trailer. It is built here local. I paid $3500 for it a couple years ago.

remlapr
01-22-2004, 09:14 AM
wanna sell it :D

Hopefully I can find something pretty much just like that around here for about 3k and I'll be happy. Have you fixed up the inside any? If so you have any pics?

Natertot426ex
01-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I have thought about selling it but it is very nice to have. expecially when it is a little chilly outside. I take my heater with me and get all cozy warm. I haven't done much of anything on the inside. Just put floor tiedowns. I hope I can put some sheet foam inulation and wood over it to help keep it warm but I haven't check on the cost yet. Good luck on finding one!!

A4StrokeGuy
01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Well i see your from indiana, not sure where but if your near northern indiana check out all the trailer dealerships in Elkhart. Heres a few web sites of dealers in that area:
www.mobilestructures.com this is where i by my trailers and this is where i'll be buying my 7x16 enclose soon

www.cargo-plus.com in middlebury

well those are all the web site i found, but theres a few dealerships in that immediate area

hope this helped

jordan

killed300ex
01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
definitly get a tandem axel with a v nose and the brakes. the brkes make a huge differense i have them at work and they make a huge differance in stoping time. the v nose also adds quite a bit of room in the trailor for storage.
killed

roostin_dale
01-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by tclapp
where at in Indiana do they make those trailers? by the way remlapar there is a box trailer for sale down in jeffersonville right across from the arby's that says for sale best offer and it looks like a really nice trailer i know that it;s tandom but as far as length i dont know

if your really interested i can probably find the phone number....it is up north by South Bend somewhere

BeltSlipper
01-22-2004, 07:52 PM
remlapr, here is a good place to get your trailer. You can pick it up at Elkhart In. and save yourself some money. Here is a link to the page. It's the same place I purchased a 8.5 x 24 enclosed US Cargo Patriot. Hope this helps.

http://www.johnstrailersales.com/haulin/ls.html