PDA

View Full Version : XC Airbox Setup????

QuadMatt
01-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I challenge anyone to name a 400EX airbox setup better than stock for XC!!!!!

I have wanted to swiss cheese and chop my airbox just like everyone so i could get the power thats readily available. But i know what will happen. First big puddle will do the trick.

Now, I dont know what causes a quad to bog when it hits that water....Is it the sudden cooling, sucking in steam, or actual water? Whatever it is, the bottom line is, you dont want the problem in the middle of a race.

So I still run the stock setup with a twin air filter for now. BUt If someone else has a setup that works better, I'd love to hear about it.

01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Get one of these fancy tubes GT thunder sells. Several riders used them this past year at the GNCC races and so did Laz the owner. After all the mud and rain they had, he said it worked pretty good all year long. I bought one, installed it and will be using it all year. Seems like a better setup than the outwears cover.

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/images/airtube.jpg

cletusEX
01-21-2004, 04:16 PM
I run a custom aluminum airbox without a lid. I run a k&n filter with an outerwears and never have had a problem with water getting into the motor. I have run some pretty wet and muddy races and have not had a problem yet. But if your really worried about it I'm sure an outerwears lid or a lid with tubes would work nice.

QuadMatt
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Rico,

Thats an interesting piece you got there. I like it. Thanks

QuadMatt
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Has anyone seen an aftermarket snorkel tube. The stock one has room for improvement.

pairanutz
01-27-2004, 11:33 PM
any one try one of those k&n powerlids with outer wear yet

i ordered one -hope it works for xc

wish i would of seen ricos set up first i like that-

Taco
01-27-2004, 11:35 PM
:)

pairanutz
01-27-2004, 11:37 PM
is that an ehs lid or home made looks good

guessing by the :) you like it

Taco
01-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pairanutz
is that an ehs lid or home made looks good

guessing by the :) you like it Yea its homeade and so far I couldn't be happier with it:cool:

RIDER11X
01-28-2004, 12:34 AM
:macho

RIDER11X
01-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
:macho

KASCHAK
01-28-2004, 09:54 AM
:huh what the flick is that!?!

DantheEXman
01-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know which aftermarket Aluminum Airbox is the best?

I like the idea of putting the battery in the airbox to keep most of the mud and water out of it.

How many others race XC with a larger airbox to enclose the battery?

Or is it not really necessary.

RIDER11X
01-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by KASCHAK
:huh what the flick is that!?!

It's my XC airbox set up that works great. I got 6 one inch Uni Airbox Vents in the rear half of my lid, and later added the white plastic to prevent side splash from the back tires from going into the airbox. It works very well! And it still draws air in the front and back.:cool:

k2-dawg
01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
Does anyone know which aftermarket Aluminum Airbox is the best?

I like the idea of putting the battery in the airbox to keep most of the mud and water out of it.

How many others race XC with a larger airbox to enclose the battery?

Or is it not really necessary.

I like mine. I run a CFM Performance airbox that moves battery and chit inside.

RIDER11X
01-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by k2-dawg
I like mine. I run a CFM Performance airbox that moves battery and chit inside. Does it seal out water? Does it got a lid?:confused:

pairanutz
01-29-2004, 12:16 PM
k&n lid

pairanutz
01-29-2004, 12:19 PM
k&n lid with outerware

zlam27
01-29-2004, 12:35 PM
pairanuts, that is a sweet setup. that would be especially beneficial on a 2-stroke for the increased volume of the intake (i dont know if that same principle applies to 4-strokes). what K&N did you get to fit the top like that? i would love to duplicate you setup if you could give me some guidance...

also, where could i buy outerwear material to make my own "powerlid"??

zach

pairanutz
01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
e-mail c&d -it is a k&n air box lid that fits stock airboxes and came with that outerware cover -it velcrows on

they arent cheap -but your getting a airbox lid plus a k&n filter and an outerware cover -mine came with two main jets also

i say it in atv sport a while back

QuadMatt
01-29-2004, 01:38 PM
See, those aftermarket lids and stuff are no good for XC. Especially the K&N. That thing will be garbage the first time it gets muddy water on it. You will never clean it and it wont flow much air. And if you get into deep water, your done. If you want to just go faster, remove the aibox completely. But, with exception of the piece Rico showed, non of these modifications will work in XC. At least i wont risk my motor to find out.

RIDER11X
01-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by quadmatt
But, with exception of the piece Rico showed, non of these modifications will work in XC. At least i wont risk my motor to find out.

Wrong. My set up does work even when Hydroplaning puddles! But, think what you may, I will enjoy passing you if you ever visit us in District 5!::devil:

J/p with ya!:p It really does work though.

pairanutz
01-30-2004, 01:29 AM
your right ill never clean my filter

if you look my rear fenders are in back ground -they are fairly muddy-i just got done running around the track out back -wich was quite muddy and includes a creek crossing wich i hit severeal time too see if i could get it too sputter -it worked fine for me-plus the top of the lid is still clean
but its your motor -ill chance mine -but i think im gonna make a cover like riderx11 or the aluminum one for if its realy muddy-plus i have a moose foam filter with removable cover for added help

QuadMatt
01-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by pairanutz
your right ill never clean my filter

if you look my rear fenders are in back ground -they are fairly muddy-

To be honest, your fenders and the rest are pretty much clean. WHen u get it so muddy you cant tell waht color anything is, then come back to me and tell me if it works.

Im talkin about racing. If you saw some of the GNCC races last year, you will understand what I mean.

Rider11.... Oh Yea...Well.... I'll pass you in District 6.....:D
Ever race the Dutchmen??