PDA

View Full Version : Elec Start?

stilfx
01-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Has anyone heard of any aftermarket co's retrofitting an elec starter for the new trx?

seatec
01-21-2004, 11:46 AM
i highly doubt that will be available any time soon, if ever!

quadrcr161
01-21-2004, 11:46 AM
not really i havent researched it, but why would you want to?

stilfx
01-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Call me a lazy *****.. but I LOVE the elec start... I dont miss the Kicker for a second on my old ATC250r...TRX or LT250r...

Try diagnosing an elec problem or fuel prob on a quad that won't kick over w/ a kick starter - then you'd be wishing it was at the very least an option.

Besides, Im a woods guy - reverse and electric mean a LOT to me. Right now thats swading my purchase.

Just wondering... Thnks for the responses.

seatec
01-21-2004, 11:56 AM
i sympathise with you because i feel the same way but then again, if the TRX450 engine is anything liek my Ex -CRF450 bike i dont se a big problem with starting it.

quadrcr161
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
i dont think the 450 comes with a reverse not does the yfz.

stilfx
01-21-2004, 12:05 PM
No neither do... was just saying:
Reverse and electric mean a LOT to me. Right now thats swading my purchase. I'm loyal to my bank account not a brand, so whoever fills my purchase demands, gets the loot.

If I can't find it - no biggie... my suzuki Z works great in the woods.

But I really dig this quad - so Im looking for options.

quadrcr161
01-21-2004, 12:06 PM
understandable, i havent has reverse or electric start since i started racing and when i got my 300ex to play on it throws me off. i catch myself trying to push it back instead of useing the reverse.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
I highly doubt an aftermarket electric start will be made for the 450R. I really dont think the demand will be there, due to the easy-starting characteristics of the CRF450R moto-x bike.

That being said, someone isnt going to buy the 450R with the intention of adding electric start to it--why bother--just buy the YFZ (to remain at that power level) or buy an EX Honda.

People, like me, are buying the 450R because it's a high-powered Honda...and are (more than) willing to take it as it is, and mod from there. Common sence says certain things (such as electric start or reverse, or a fifth wheel) are not things one should have as must-haves, and still be considering the 450R.

seatec
01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
FOr some, the electric start has a legitimate reason for being. Dont knowck it until your stuck on a steep hill hugging your quad and mashing both brakes. Still though, if you buy the quad for MX you definately dont need the E-start.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't get stuck.

kidding dude--we've all been there. I had a kicker before the 416EX, and I dont mind having one again. Like I said, it all comes down to must-haves. I must have a high-powered, Honda, ATV. That outweighs just about every other option, for me. Maybe not for the next guy. The beauty of it is, unlike the 90's, today, there's a whole slew of awesome, brand new quads out there to choose from (like your YFZ)...and get all the must-haves you could want. You just have to be realistic as to what you can add to your quad after you buy it.

stilfx
01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
I highly doubt an aftermarket electric start will be made for the 450R.

Why not - they've made plenty for quads in far less demand than the 450r... ie. Mohave to name just one..

That being said, someone isnt going to buy the 450R with the intention of adding electric start to it.
Umm - I would if avail. And its woods I ride / not MX.

People, like me, are buying the 450R because it's a high-powered Honda...
Thats great... Were you born in Gemany - say circa 1940's (pappy - hat tip)

Common sence says certain things (such as electric start or reverse, or a fifth wheel) are not things one should have as must-haves, and still be considering the 450R.
Common sense should have told you I was looking for options - not must have's!

Common sense tells me you should have never replyed to a "looking for help" post and have nothing helpful to say. But thanks for the effort. Your quality shines.

kbass24emtp
01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I glad it does not have electric start, because I'm tired of having to buy a new battery every two years. :D :D

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Stilfx
Are you freaking kidding me, you little sheite?

If you dont want an answer to a question, dont ask it. If you dont like the answer, then grow up and learn some people have different opinions on things. I may or may not be right about the aftermarket electric start, but I am 100% certain that you are a complete ***-munch.

And get your brown nose out of Pappy's pooper shooter.

stilfx
01-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Well that was informative..

Anyway - I'll clearify the question:
"Has anyone heard of any aftermarket co's retrofitting an elec starter for the new trx?" - no opinions necessary

If anyone has any info/news on this I would appreciate it.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Just dont reply saying anything he doesn't want to hear, or expect to get a rude, flame-filled insulting reply with zero thought.

Grow up, child.

stilfx
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Anyway - I'll clarify the question:
"Has anyone heard of any aftermarket co's retrofitting an elec starter for the new trx?" - no opinions necessary

If anyone has any info/news on this I would appreciate it.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Obviously you are new to this board, and new to the common courtesies that go along with making a post requesting information or replying to what others have to say. So let me make it plain and simple for you to completely understand, since YOU chose to start this by directly insulting me with your lame *** reply.

The 450R isn't out yet, and therefore, no-one has had the chance to engineer (or "retro-fit" :huh ) an electric starter for it. There are a million questions, like yours, that everyone is sick of being asked on this forum because the quad doesn't actually exist yet. Yes, everyone wants the answers to these kinds of questions, but we won't get the answers until after the quad is released. Granted, SOME aftermarket parts already exist for the 450R (whether easily manufactured based on the released specs of the 450R or by companies that have had a 450R in their possession)...but something like an electric start conversion, unless created by Honda, would take some serious engineering to fabricate.

Based on what you have to say in your replies, I must be blunt and suggest that you to stop posting stupid questions that NO-ONE has the answer to, with or without the opinions that you dont want to hear.

Go away, and maybe check back on this forum in about 6mos to a year and MAYBE someone will have an answer that you might want to hear.

stilfx
01-21-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry for your pain... but to be quite honest I didn't post this to get into a Jerry Springer Episode with you. Just to ask and possibly see if there was a "Yes I know of something..." answer.

So If you dont post and I see a reply in my mailbox... Maybe someone knows of a solution coming. Thank you for your time.

HondaQuadKing
01-21-2004, 05:19 PM
man....i love you people....i love this whole damn web-site....this is great....but since i know u dont want my 2 cents im gonna give it to ya ne ways.....maturity is for old farts, and posers....so dont ever tell anyone to grow up.....immaturity is the shlit...there is no doubt about it.....it definately isn't people thinkin straight when they clear an 80 foot step up tripple during their first time riding a new quad...the whole atv industy is based on immaturity....so get used to it....HAHAHAHA:huh

quadrcr161
01-21-2004, 05:26 PM
the whole atv industy is based on immaturity

god i hope not. thats the way of the dirt bikes.

trx440
01-21-2004, 10:20 PM
MIA,

Ever think someone may have designed one for the CRF over the last 2 1/2 years.

Desert Toyz in phoenix is already working on it Stiffy

BUT, I wouldn't waste my time. Honda is set to release the CRF450X within the year. It is a lighted E-start version of the MX bike. You will be able to retrofit Honda parts then.

outacontrol31
01-22-2004, 08:33 AM
I have seen the electric starting system for the new 450R, it consists of a nylon strap or a rope, you hook it to your buddys quad then hook it to your all new 450R put the R in 3rd or 4th and let you buddy pull you, let out the clutch and boom, electric startin no kicken, maybe not electic but close enough:blah: :p

robby26wi
01-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Doug Dubach or how every u spell it has made it for the crf...I would say the trx would be a no brainer...

Bill Fuller
01-22-2004, 09:16 AM
If don't buy the Honda it will be because of it not having electric start.I have rode the CRF450 dirt bike and it is a pain in the *** to start after it has been running for an hour or so and you dump it (either on a hill or the front end washes out in a muddy turn).The hot start button made a difference in the starting I will admit that but only after a couple of kicks and sweat pouring into my eyes.XC races are lost when your sitting still humping your machine.This (Honda) will be a great motocross machine I don't doubt that for one minute,but wait to see how many show up for the GNCC races.And if Suzuki unveils thier new 450 than even less red.:(

remlapr
01-22-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree Bill - if they would have just put Electric start on it I would be getting ready to pick one up instead of building up my EX. Oh well :o

robby26wi
01-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Suzuki built a sport quad with the z400...If they built a purpose built race z450r then look out...I think it would be pretty crazy...

MIA450R
01-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Suzuki is building a Z450 as a 2005 model. Suzuki rep explained this on a Speed channel covered GNCC race.

robby26wi
01-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Ya i know they are but whether they choose to make a R race model or another sport model will be the question..

stilfx
01-22-2004, 11:19 AM
NOW THAT was some great positive information... (BS flack not included)

Thank you for contributing!!!

robby26wi
01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
It seems there is alotta crap that goes on around here...You ask a simple question and get like 20 answers from retards with to much time on there hands and like 2 answers that actually pertain to the question at hand...

Doibugu2
01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by robby26wi
It seems there is alotta crap that goes on around here...You ask a simple question and get like 20 answers from retards with to much time on there hands and like 2 answers that actually pertain to the question at hand...

Observes rules 1 and 2 and you'll enjoy the site. If not, ....

stilfx
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
PS: The crap replys get deleted immediately at our site... not having it - mcdonalds has a playground if you want one.

This site is the Honda info sanctuary... thats what I look for when I come here.

SickSixD R
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by stilfx
Has anyone heard of any aftermarket co's retrofitting an elec starter for the new trx? Hey Good Buddy i will Pull start your TRX with my YFZ if you want?:blah:

stilfx
01-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Naa.. thats what I have the Z400 for... I can do it in reverse. -lol

XC250R
01-26-2004, 05:00 AM
I am sure that within a year a manufacturer named Goki will make an electic start conversion. They made it for the 250X and the 350X years ago, and still make them today. Unfortunately for you I don't think they will ever retrofit reverse on it.

stilfx
01-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks for refreshing my memory (Goki), I forgot what that companies name was...

Yeah - I understand reverse is out of the question, I'm not looking for that - just the Elec start... Thnx

HondaQuadKing
01-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Man kick start is cool.....its more manly.....lol...j/k....but i like it...it makes a machine feel more sporty....i have an atc 250r, its a pain in the *** to start, but i look good doing it....haha....

stilfx
01-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Tell me how much fun it would be kick starting it if you stalled it out half way up this hill..... my guess - Not much!

http://atvstore.com/rides/stilfx/z400.jpg

HondaQuadKing
01-26-2004, 08:03 AM
yea dude, that might be kinda rough....lol....we dont have ne hills like that in vermont, we have a few sand pits but nothing big.....i wish we did though.....the only interesting thing here is the mud....wanna hear something sad, me and my friend both have 250EX's and we can smoke everyone we have ever ridden with in vermont, no matter what they are on....so the riding skill here is a little soft if u know what i mean...this place blows...haha....well ne ways man...do it up...that hill looks like sweet sh1t

JWhite
01-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Personally I've never stalled on a hill where I couldn't just hop off and get the quad pointed back down hill and just pop it in gear and be headed down.

I'd like to see somebody stall a Z400 on that hill and then take off again. Ain't happening. He's just gonna dig in or flip.

stilfx
01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Yep - the "dunes" of PA... old coal strip mines...

--------

Usually you dig in... but "f'in scary" everytime it happens... Elec start just makes more sense in this place. Noone has fun kicking it over on that steep of a grade...

JWhite
01-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by stilfx
Yep - the "dunes" of PA... old coal strip mines...

--------

Usually you dig in... but "f'in scary" everytime it happens... Elec start just makes more sense in this place. Noone has fun kicking it over on that steep of a grade...

When that happens you pretty much have no choice but to yank the front end around and hop on. I really don't see where electric start is a advantage in the situation. When climbing hills I'm on the gas most of the time and there is not much of a chance of a stall. Sometimes. On tricky hills that are more technical. The electric start would be a heaven sent though.

It does have it's advantages in other places.

Oh, and as said above, if Honda really is doing the CRF450X with electric start, then the parts should fit on the quad....maybe?

HondaQuadKing
01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
that depends on exactly what parts were modified on the 4 wheeler engine...i dont know if the forward kick set up would prevent a crf starter from being used or not...

Bill Fuller
01-26-2004, 07:19 PM
What about kicking one over during an XC race when you stalled it in a mud hole thats 2 feet deep.A nasty hill is one thing but when every time you kick water splashes you will be wishing for electric start.

HondaQuadKing
01-27-2004, 06:24 AM
yea that would suck....the only thing is....my 250 has electric start, and if u stall in a mud hole your Fu**ed ne ways cause i can never get it started until i get it out of the water.

stilfx
01-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Yep thats exactly my reasoning.. Woods Racing.. for the climbs its beneficial... but Races are won and lost in seconds... and electric start shaves em off.....