PDA

View Full Version : atv sport 450r test

lukester720
01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
The new atv sport mag is out now, in it is a test of the 450r.

Here are some of the things they said:
There is no lag. The power is immediate on the stocker. Our thumbs didn't get sore the whole day of testing.
One thing that concerned us was the stock carb. (They gave no reason why)
The weight bias feels like it is shifted to the rear slightly so wheelies from a dead stop were common unless the rider compensated for it.
The tranny was smooth and the spacing between 2nd and 3rd was well suited for the mx track.
We appreciated the footpeg-to-seat distance but it could always use a longer steering stem.
It didn't feel like it had the same low center of gravity the 250r is known for, but it still felt good.
One turn one the shock adjustments is equal to about 4 one the cr.
They really liked the front tires, they felt the need for a steering damper.
Plenty of leg room.
Some of the best stock brakes they ever felt.
For a stock quad it was right at home on the mx track. Didn't nose dive,easy to throw around.
The stock valving soaked up hard landings well.
It begs to be ridden hard, but doesn't wear you out.
Hrc kit made a considerable difference it boosted the bottom and smoothed out the powerband.
But with a complete exhaust, the engine has much more potential.
Frame is impressive beefy and has gussets in all the right areas. Gussets are only needed in a couple more spots.
With this machine honda officially closes the chapter on the 250r.
It has nice pics with the hood off, jumping and the airbox lid.

lukester720
01-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Stock for stock the trx feels more powerful. In modded fashion yami's pipe and jetting with no lid, feels more responsive than the hrc honda. Something to consider however,is niose output, the hrc makes less noise than the gyt-r kit. There is plenty more stuff in this article you'll just have to buy it for yourself.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Weird how 4-Wheel Action's review of the 450R said the HRC kit made little noticeable difference in power, compared to what ATV Sport is saying...

Wish I knew the real story on HP numbers between a stock 450R and a HRC-equipped one....both with and without stock and aftermarket exhaust and air filter/jetting mods.

Due to this, I am going to wait on the HRC kit. I want to get a feel for the 450R as-is (stock), and then get the HRC kit installed, and then add an aftermarket exhaust/k&N....so I can feel the difference myself.

Unless the mags beat me to it and actually post these #'s.

lukester720
01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
The mag said 42 hp stock and 47 with the hrc kit. Never know.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Right. But 4 Wheel ATV Action (Dirt Wheels sister mag) is saying no hugely noticeable power gains of the HRC TRX over the stocker on the track...only louder exhaust.

Also, keep in mind, 42/47 are the HP numbers Honda gave the mags. Only HMF has done a dyno, which was lower than most of us were expecting. Granted, Hondas numbers (42/47) are at the crank, and HMFs numbers were at the wheels without appropriate tires....

lukester720
01-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I've heard on numerous sites that curtis sparks dynoed it at 42 hp also. I don't know if that is at the wheels or crank though.

86atc250r
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Weird how 4-Wheel Action's review of the 450R said the HRC kit made little noticeable difference in power, compared to what ATV Sport is saying...

Butt dynos are largely inaccurate. Especially when they can be influenced by factors we aren't aware of.

Use common sense. The TRX will run well. It will be in the same ballpark as a YFZ. The HRC kit will make a noticible difference like changing a cam, intake, and exhaust would on any 4 stroke.

As with other modifications, don't have your expectations too high and you won't be disappointed.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Clearly, basic engine mechanics tells us that cam/jetting/pipe mods should result in a noticeable power increase...*IF* the cam was actually engineered to increase performance. Sounds like a dumb comment, but I guarantee aftermarket cams will pull much more power out of the 450R than Hondas HRC cam. The HRC cam prob isnt even and hot as the CRF450Rs cam. (and we all know the YFZ has the same cam as the YZF...just exhaust retarded 1 tooth)

I guess my point, to go along with lukesters post of the ride review, is why did 4 Wheel ATV Action choose to downplay the HRC's performance over the stocker when all the other mags/web sites (such as ATV Sport) seem to say otherwise. Very odd, also, considering Dirt WHeels had NOTHING to say about the HRC kit in their 1st ride review.

Stock for stock, the 450R will be right there with the YFZ...we've all read this. With MINOR (bolt-on type) mods, no way. It may very well take some deeper engine work to get the 450R to perform at slightly modded YFZ levels...all due to Honda's err on safety/reliability over performance.

That's just how Honda chooses to do things.

quadrcr161
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
if they send the HRc kit with the delivery when i pick up mine i will be sure to mic the cam and post the results between the HRC and CRF, and go with the better cam. i will also try compairing the carbs.

MIA450R
01-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Awesome, quadrcr161.
Hard numbers like that will tell the tale.

Muchos grassy-***.

tholt
01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
You made the statement that they weren't sure about the Carb. on the 450R. They probably aren't real happy with it b/c didn't go with the FCR carb that they put on the CRF450 dirtbike. The YFZ comes with a FCR carb. also. they are a lot more responsive and run better then the butterfly style that they have on the 450R and the 400ex.

Tim.

r450rr
01-21-2004, 07:04 PM
omg this is the last time this needs to be said,,,,

THE CARB ON THE R IS NOT LIKE WHATS ON THE 400EX...!!!!!

HONDA SAID ITS A PERFOMANCE CARB ITS JUST NOT FCR, SO IT WILL BE EASIER MATINENCE!!! ITS STILL A PERFORMANCE CARB!!

AND LISTEN THEY TESTED IT FOR TWO YEARS SO I WOULD SAY THAT THEY ARE MORE THAN HAPPY WITH IT,, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DECIDED TO PUT IT ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE

86atc250r
01-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Actually it is like the carb on the 400ex, except larger.

That is not a bad thing. The primary problem with the 400EX carb is that it is small and doesn't flow well.

Honda used a 42mm to overcome the flow problem.

Many people were claiming that the 450R would be equipped with a CV carb & if that were the case, they'd truly have a reason to complain. However, thankfully Honda doesn't put CV carbs on performance/sport quads.

The carb used on the 450R will not flow as well as an equally sized FCR, but it is larger than the FCRs used on the YFZ or CRF450R to compensate. The carb is a good, tuneable, reliable unit. Anyone thinking that there will be as much to gain from switching a 450R to an FCR as there is when the same is done on a 400EX is in for a disappointment.

tholt
01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
and i never said there was anything wrong with the carb, i just said it was not an FCR. It is a butterfly style carb with a slide like a 400ex it is just a 42 mm carb where the EX is like a 36 mm or 38mm i think. Gosh say one thing on this site and people freak.
the carb is very well capable and tunable, but you have to remember, it is a sport just like the yfz, but the reason why you still have sink 2 grand or better in money for aftermarket stuff in a quad is because they still have to make it for the average consumer and not the full fledged race quad a lot of guys want it to be. They have to try and make it the best of both worlds.

Tim.

86atc250r
01-21-2004, 09:54 PM
The EX carb is 35.5mm

450r_rider
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Butt dynos are largely inaccurate. Especially when they can be influenced by factors we aren't aware of.

Use common sense. The TRX will run well. It will be in the same ballpark as a YFZ. The HRC kit will make a noticible difference like changing a cam, intake, and exhaust would on any 4 stroke.

As with other modifications, don't have your expectations too high and you won't be disappointed.

macsolocam
01-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I personally know a pro rider(not going to reveal his name)that rode the 450r at the test ride at lake whitney in texas. He raced a custom crf450 last year and knows that engine very well. He knows what that engine is very capable of. We will definetly get rid of the stock cam and stock carb for the crf cam and carb. We will have to wait on a piston since the bore and stroke is different from the motocross engine. Basically, his hands on experience the trx engine is just a little less than the crf and with a few mods should be back up even with the crf.

This is the route I am going....I will post what I find in these 2 mods.

MIA450R
01-22-2004, 11:09 AM
(400)EX carb is now 38mm

86atc250r
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Maybe according to the marketing dept, but not according to the 2004 part numbers.

ATC83
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by macsolocam
I personally know a pro rider(not going to reveal his name)that rode the 450r at the test ride at lake whitney in texas. He raced a custom crf450 last year and knows that engine very well. He knows what that engine is very capable of. We will definetly get rid of the stock cam and stock carb for the crf cam and carb. We will have to wait on a piston since the bore and stroke is different from the motocross engine. Basically, his hands on experience the trx engine is just a little less than the crf and with a few mods should be back up even with the crf.

This is the route I am going....I will post what I find in these 2 mods.

I agree, I wouldn't get that HRC kit. Everthing I have read about it from sources that I trust to be non biased make it sound like a real dog. I would go the route you are talking about, CRF cam, and FCR carb of the motocross bike. I dissagree that the TRX450 engine will be cabable of the same power as the CRF450. I've heard some well known engine builders, such CT, say that the TRX450's engine will be a good engine but it will not be cable of the power of The YFZ450's engine or the CRF450's.

86atc250r
01-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Everthing I have read about it from sources that I trust to be non biased make it sound like a real dog. I would go the route you are talking about, CRF cam, and FCR carb of the motocross bike

That's odd - word is the HRC cam *IS* the CRF cam....

Hey though, I read that the TRX's are being recalled because of crank bearing trouble and won't be released until March.... Internet rumors are cool....

Pappy
01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
lol...gabe and his rumors:devil:

MIA450R
01-22-2004, 01:26 PM
yawn