PDA

View Full Version : Hrc Not Much Better Than Stock

02-23-2002, 11:56 AM
i finally got my EX in the shop getting my TC 440kit and HRC cam installed along with port work and modifying the stock carb. i didnt order my parts from the guy that runs the shop so he told me i ordered the wrong cam. he tried to get me to buy one of his racing cams. he said the HRC wasnt that much of an improvement over stock. is this true or is this guy just wanting more money from me? and he told me that ill have to run racin gas since i advanced the timing with a sparks key. anybody heard of that b4?

Blackguywithouta400
02-23-2002, 12:08 PM
So lets thing about this, most of us have te Xr400 cam in our bikes and have found it to deliver us more power, now if the motor we take a stock cam out of Xr400 has a Better Cam then its stocker then well im sure it better then our stock cam and its stock cam. The HRC cam is a very good cam $$$ for the original Honda Cam but only 180$ for a regrind so it puts it right in the price hunt for most other cams out there.

Leo
02-23-2002, 01:04 PM
What compressoin ration piston are you installing....?

A high compression piston along with the sparks advance key may require race fuel, or at least a 50/50 mix..

As far as the XR400 HRC cam, I don't think you can go wrong there (other than it's price :D).. Perhaps he wants to sell you 'his' race cam along with some hardened rockers..?

Leo

02-23-2002, 01:33 PM
11:1 compression with those aftermarket gaskets, i had figured i would end up running a 50/50 mix because of the piston but i didnt think the timing key would affect it any

Leo
02-23-2002, 02:20 PM
the more you advance the ignition timing, the more likely a motor is to pre-detonate (ping).. combine that with a higher compression ration of the motor and you compound the problem..

At 11:1, with the advance key a 50/50 mix probably would not be a bad idea.. (plus race gas smells good :D)

Leo

riz400
02-23-2002, 05:35 PM
If I were you I would get the HRC cam. After all, it is the "Honda Racing" department that desigened the HRC kit. If anyone know's how to extract a little more power out of this engine they should definitely be the ones with the know how. I read an article about making a 400EX race ready and they used the 440 kit with the HRC cam. Here's the link.

http://www.atvillustrated.com/feature_articles/400exbuildup/kit1.html