PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help please!!

Thunder55
01-21-2004, 07:05 AM
I am 33 years old, never raced quads.
I would like to race MX, XC and do some trail riding as well..

My problem is I am very torn as to what quad I should purchase as my first.

I thought at first a 450R, then switched to a CDale Moto but reality is starting to sit in. I'm wondering if these bikes maybe more then what I need to get started.
I will be starting in the "D" class or "C" class... can I be competitive on a 400ex with a pipe?
I do not have a dream of being world champion but if I have the ability to ride good then I would like to have a bike under me that is capable.
Also need to add, I will purchase a new quad in about 2 years or less after this purchase.

So, what should I do?
400ex with some hop ups? If so what hop ups?
450R - and learn to ride it?

Thanks guys

Pappy
01-21-2004, 07:11 AM
if its the honda brand you want then wait for the new R. a 400 done right can be highly competitive but it will take good rider to keep it that way. if you buy a quad that should be competitive outta the box you will not have to mod it right away and as your skills develop you will have a better idea of what improvemnets to make on the quad.

good luck:)

Thunder55
01-21-2004, 07:15 AM
It's going to take a 450R to be competitive in the beginner classes???

Wasn't for sure if they rode that much of a quad in the lower levels???

bone705
01-21-2004, 07:18 AM
i think u would be ok if u didnt want to shell the cash out for a new 450 and just wanted to get a moded 400. the 450 would be great for awhile without any modifications. but if your just sticking to the lower classes and dont plan on going higher for ahwile then the 400 should be ok.

Thunder55
01-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Well, I might need to clarify a little more also, I have a 10 year old son who I will be getting into racing as well. I didn't know if the 400ex would be a good bike for the both of us to start on.. I run it for a year then hand it over to him and by that time I should be ready for more of a full out race quad.
But coming from stock car racing, I have to much of an ego to just be happy with riding around the back of the pack... if it's because of my talent then I'm ok with it.. but if I am getting smoked BECAUSE of the 400ex then THAT I can't handle...
But again, I guess I am wondering what kind of quads are in the lower classes? Are all newbies riding high-end bikes?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

stamperbob
01-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Here is my two Cents, if you are going to buy a better quad in a year then get a 400 now for you to learn on and your boy to learn on then get a 450 a little later when you give your new bike to your boy, then you can race together with both the bikes

Cole Trane
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I'd imagine that a 450r or the yfz 450 would be just fine to start off with competing in C-D classes. You also might wanna think twice about letting a 10 year old kid ride a 400ex/450r competitively, it might be too much. Pick up the new dirt wheels magazine, they have the first test on the 450r in there. They say it's pretty awesome!!

Ryan
01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
It really depends which one you plan on racing more. If you want to race XC, you can be very competitive on a 400ex! As for MX, you'll probably see a few, or alot of the beginners be on 450's. Of course its always the rider, but MX requires alot of speed.

Your best bet is to go to a dealership and take one out for a test ride. Try out a couple and see which on suits you the best.

Good luck.

GNCC225
01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
I started out about two and half years ago in xc and the 400ex in my opinion is the perfect quad to start with it's easy to upgrade and it's very dependable.

ckasper18
01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Afast bike is not always the answer if you are just starting out buy a bike that wont man handle you and learn how to ride first.If your fast your fast on any quad.A trx 450r or yfz will not win if you are not cappable of riding it.Dont bite off more than you can chew.You can find used 400ex every where and thats would be a good bike to start out on stock or modified they handle well and are easy to ride and learn on.If your on a 450 and can ride you should move up classes and learn a lot more from faster guys,girls that will make you faster as well.

WOOLIN
01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
The cannondale would make an excellent choice for the price to reward ratio. I wouldn't go with a moto unless you were going to only race mx. Try a Cannibal or Blaze and you will be on the right track. But that's just my opinion.:D

240GNCC400
01-26-2004, 06:40 PM
go with the 400ex. you dont need to drop a lot of money to run in a beginner type class. experience is more important than parts. and it doesnt matter what class or what type of racing (XC or MX) you do somebody and sometimes most people will have more money in thier quad than you. just makes it more fun to beat them.

DB2K
02-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I would go w/ the 400ex if your going to race xc. It's very reliable and parts are inexpensive to replace. I've been racing a 400ex for about 4yrs in the Parts Unlimited Series and have done very well. Rider skill is much more important than motor in xc racing. Good luck!

Mike_J
02-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Buy the 450....you wont regret it later and you won't want to sell it in two years

PA440exRider
02-25-2004, 12:18 PM
You should get one of those new 250rs at www.servicehonda.com they are really nice but 4 strokes are still better, if u want a 4 stroke go with the 450 becase u will want more power if u get anything lower.

markk
03-03-2004, 11:56 AM
In the lower classes u can come out in the upper 1/2 eveytime on a stock 400ex im sure, it just meens that u have to make up more time in the woods than in the feilds so if your just starting off i would go with somthing u can handel both body wise and $$$$$$