PDA

View Full Version : thinking about quitting school and getting my GED

JUSTINcredible
01-20-2004, 10:10 PM
9th and 10th grade i had alot of problems in my life which only 3 ppl know about and dont really care to discuss on a public forum but i was hardley in school and when i was i didnt do squat, and thats the truth, now i to far behind to even walk on graduation day and will be spending another year in school if i stay even with night and summer classes, my school counsler thought this was something i should look into as i can get my diploma later on in life. the past few nights i have been taking practice tests of each part of the GED and i passed all of them with near perfect scores, im already accepted into the fall semster and the tech school i want to go to and for what i want to do, I have a full time job that i can start at anytime. I have my parents support in this as long as i get my HS diploma after i finish tech school. I havent decided on anything for sure yet but im pretty sure i know what i want to do and that this would be in my best intrest right now, I just wanted to see what some of you thought, im open to opinions but dont start calling me stupid or anything like that because the last 1 1/2 years of school for me has went well since i turned parts of my life back in the right direction 2 years ago. but i dont think it would be good to be in high school for 2 more years:confused:

sly400ex
01-20-2004, 10:36 PM
If that's what you really want to do, go for it.......BUT going to school everyday, doing homework...participating in school activities (even parties ;) ) I believe, will help you turn into a stronger adult....:)

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-21-2004, 12:42 AM
a ged is ok, but a diploma does look better on paper. do what you feel is best, but i would go for the diploma.

JTRtrx250r
01-21-2004, 04:09 AM
rip said it

BIGRED400
01-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Stay in school, I missed out of the best years of my life, 11th grade I went to class 2 periods and then had distributive ed. where you get credits for working, 12th grade I had Job entry where I worked for remaining credits, I had all other credits in to do all this,I would never do it again,I missed out on alot that my buddies talk about now, I am 44 now and you look back later more than you think, This is one of things in life I would do different, the other is get my 416 sooner:D

Guy400
01-21-2004, 05:31 AM
I agree, stay in school. While a GED is supposedly equivalent to a standard high school diploma, it's not. Employers look at that and the first thing they think is that either; A.)you have some sort of LD and couldn't finish on time, B.)you had a disciplinary problem and didn't finish on time, or C.)you lacked the willpower and motivation to go to school everyday. All 3 of those scenarios directly relate to how an employer would regard you as an employee.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes here but you must be very careful about forgoing your high school education in exchange for attending a tech school. What happens if something happens and you don't finish tech school or you finish tech school and the job you get goes under. You're now out of work with no high school diploma--good luck finding another job. A lot of things in life can be taken from you: a loved one, a job, taxes, your home, etc. but your education cannot. You'll always have that and is a very nice safety net should you ever need it.

sickmojave
01-21-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I agree, stay in school. While a GED is supposedly equivalent to a standard high school diploma, it's not. Employers look at that and the first thing they think is that either; A.)you have some sort of LD and couldn't finish on time, B.)you had a disciplinary problem and didn't finish on time, or C.)you lacked the willpower and motivation to go to school everyday. All 3 of those scenarios directly relate to how an employer would regard you as an employee.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes here but you must be very careful about forgoing your high school education in exchange for attending a tech school. What happens if something happens and you don't finish tech school or you finish tech school and the job you get goes under. You're now out of work with no high school diploma--good luck finding another job. A lot of things in life can be taken from you: a loved one, a job, taxes, your home, etc. but your education cannot. You'll always have that and is a very nice safety net should you ever need it.

I just wanted you to read that twice. That's very good info. ;)

01-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Stay in school. Don't be a quitter..
:)

cody anderson
01-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
9th and 10th grade i had alot of problems in my life which only 3 ppl know about and dont really care to discuss on a public forum but i was hardley in school and when i was i didnt do squat, and thats the truth, now i to far behind to even walk on graduation day and will be spending another year in school if i stay even with night and summer classes, my school counsler thought this was something i should look into as i can get my diploma later on in life. the past few nights i have been taking practice tests of each part of the GED and i passed all of them with near perfect scores, im already accepted into the fall semster and the tech school i want to go to and for what i want to do, I have a full time job that i can start at anytime. I have my parents support in this as long as i get my HS diploma after i finish tech school. I havent decided on anything for sure yet but im pretty sure i know what i want to do and that this would be in my best intrest right now, I just wanted to see what some of you thought, im open to opinions but dont start calling me stupid or anything like that because the last 1 1/2 years of school for me has went well since i turned parts of my life back in the right
direction 2 years ago. but i dont think it would be good to be in high school for 2 more years:confused:

JUSTIN!!!!!! Don't be stupid!!! I swear to God I will come to your house and kick your *** if you quit school!!! Don't even think about it! Your almost there... Don't you dare quit now! Do you quit on the last lap of a race? Hell no! If your quad breaks down with 500ft before the finish line what do you do? You get your *** off and push that ****** across the line! What I'm saying is, I know you think school is a pain in the ***... (you not wanting to go to school is the broken down quad and your morals are the rider...) So get off your *** and push. Or I'll beat your ***!

cody anderson
01-21-2004, 07:20 AM
plus think about all the chicks you'll be missing. high school is the four greatest years of your life! Live it up Bro!!!!!

Doibugu2
01-21-2004, 07:21 AM
I agree with everyone's opinion. Stay in School.

Pappy
01-21-2004, 07:27 AM
i was faced with the same decision you are facing right now.

my parents divorced when i was 15 (second divorce ) and my freshman and sophmore years were less then fun. by the time i hit 11th grade i was almost back on track....until my dad was hit by a car. i had to go to school in the morning to turn in homework and stay for 2 english classes (i took 12th grade english my 11th grade year to graduate a year early) after my last class id drive 40 miles to my dads business and i ran it until 7 at night....by myself ...overseeing 4 employee's.

at the end of the school year i was informed i had missed too many days and would not be eligible to graduate. i said STFU and got my ged. 2 weeks after recieving my ged i took the militarys ASVAB tests and scored very high. if it wasnt for loss of hearing id probably still be in the service.

if you plan on higher education at a well known college ..stay in school. if i could do it again i would have repeated 12th grade english and recieved my normal diploma. i dont think the diploma carries any weight these days but 20 years from now you will see the value in it.

good luck to ya:)

cody anderson
01-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i was faced with the same decision you are facing right now.

my parents divorced when i was 15 (second divorce ) and my freshman and sophmore years were less then fun. by the time i hit 11th grade i was almost back on track....until my dad was hit by a car. i had to go to school in the morning to turn in homework and stay for 2 english classes (i took 12th grade english my 11th grade year to graduate a year early) after my last class id drive 40 miles to my dads business and i ran it until 7 at night....by myself ...overseeing 4 employee's.

at the end of the school year i was informed i had missed too many days and would not be eligible to graduate. i said STFU and got my ged. 2 weeks after recieving my ged i took the militarys ASVAB tests and scored very high. if it wasnt for loss of hearing id probably still be in the service.

if you plan on higher education at a well known college ..stay in school. if i could do it again i would have repeated 12th grade english and recieved my normal diploma. i dont think the diploma carries any weight these days but 20 years from now you will see the value in it.

good luck to ya:)

Holy chit Pappy, that's a story... Damn.

knighttime
01-21-2004, 08:47 AM
staying in school is a wise choice, but everyone has their own situation. If you have a good plan, tech school and a GED would be a gateway to a good life im sure. Do what you think is best and do it for yourself and not anyone else. :bandit:

zephead400ex
01-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Life is what you make it. I respect the decision you make either way, but don't start settleing for things in your life. Personal motivation is the key. Remember Billy Madison, funny movie not in reality. Do what you think is right, everyone has their story just make sure thats the story you want to tell.

Led Zeppelin

MXcutie
01-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Just Stay in school.... a few kids my senior year quit and went and got their GEDs and actually graduated before we did but they said its not the same... ppl who have their diploma get the jobs before they do... it might seem hard but trust me its well worth it in the end!!!

Werx615
01-21-2004, 09:40 AM
tay en scoo so yu don en up lik me........j/k stay in school definitely.................man i wish i was back in high school, when i was in high school i couldnt wait to get out, now i wish i was back in it

bradley300
01-21-2004, 09:46 AM
considering the average life expectancy, is one more year of high scool honestly that bad? evryone is right, a GED has a equivilent education, but you will not be equal in the eyes of a potential employer.

01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
i dropped out at 16 and went to G.E.D. classes for two weeks and said hell with it i'll take the test. so there i was a highschool dropout who had acquired my G.E.D. and i was only 16. so heres the plus of dropping out and gettin the ged. you'll have 2 extra years to sleep in after all the partying whohoooo. you'll have 2 extra years to get a job at a gas station and start saving for when you get to move out. you'll have 2 extra years to look for a loser girlfriend to lose your virginity to that will never amount to nothing and they will probably be your boss at that gas station your working at makin 5.15 an hour gettin a 10 cent raise every year thinkin your ballin. youl'll have 2 extra years to start ***kin your life up by ending up with 4 kids a couple of stds and a minimum wage job that is dead end with no future to look forward to. SO STAY YOUR ***** IN SCHOOL AND GET YOUR EDUCATION CAUSE THAT HOT GIRL YOU WANT TO TAKE TO PROM ISN'T LOOKIN FOR A LOSER SO KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND MAKE THE BEST OUT OF LIFE YOU POSSIBLY CAN. THIS GOES FOR ALL YOU YOUNGSTERS. STAY IN SCHOOL RIDE HARD AND ALWAYS WEAR A JIMMY- SINCERELY ME-a guy who was on the wrong path and found HONDA

seatec
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
When i need to fill another position in my department (IT Dept.) I recieve on average about 300 resumes. When i go through them the first thing i look at is education. I am sorry to say that if you dont have highschool then i wont even consider you. I may loose out on one or two very good applicants that way because education isnt everything but i , and other like me, just dont have the time to interview everybody and our best bet is somebody with HS and at least some Coll. Its a cruel world so be prepared.

kgbg
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Its like college. The piece of paper mens not too much unless your boss wants to see it. Its the experiences you get that make you a better person. The fact that you stuck it out, did not give up, finished WHAT WAS VERY HARD TO FINISH, that will make you a better person.
Stick it out. You sill never regret finishing school, you could regret not.

atvrulz
01-21-2004, 11:41 AM
You should go to night classes and then summer school and stay in school. You should ask the principle if you can walk in the graduation ceremony because you probably have friends and people you have known for a long time that will be in the ceremony, and not to be in it would be embarrassing. I am sure he would understand. Also, i dont remember from high school, but dont they actually send your diploma to your house, and during the ceremony they dont actually give you the diploma.
Staying in school will build character and you will realize that you can handle big problems like the ones you had earlier. If you quit school, subconsciosly, you will learn that you cannot handle big problems, and that your a quitter.

Moded86R
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
I was in a situation very simiilar to yours.Except I was a junior.I had already went to school for 4 years.I had just enough credits to be a junior.The only reason I had enough credits to even be a junior is because I had went to another school.Where I was doing 3rd-6th grade work.I could do all that easy.I was supposed to work my way up all the way to the high school level.But I started going out with one of the teachers daughter's.And her mom didn't approve.So she kicked her out of the house and she moved in with me.So the school wouldn't let me back in.So had to go back to a public school.Somehow the work I had done at that school transfered over into a bunch of credits.I don't know how.

To say I hated school was an understatement.I didn't get along with any of my teachers.I went to school about 2 days a week.The only reason I went back is because I had alot of freinds there.I ended up going back to school for 3 days my junior year and then quiting.

I started opening KFC every morning and got into a routine.Well after a year or so this got old.I wasn't making enough money at all.And I couldn't get a better job because I didn't have a diploma.

Eventually I got so tired of living without any money and no way to get anywhere.My freind had gotten into trouble the year before in school.And he quit to.He had went to this thing called a GED option.Where you have to go to school everyday from 3-6pm.You had to work atleast 20 hours a week.And you have to pass your GED test.Well this past year I did that.And I got out of school on december 19th.I already have my GED.But I have to wait till may to graduate and get my diploma.It is just like everyone else's diploma.

My old principal told me that school isn't for everyone.And I agree.I hated to so bad I would start to shake.I was in the principals office nearly everyday.

If you really think your going to go through with it and get your GED,I would do it.As far as I know you can't just go take your test anymore.You have to go through some type of school program.Wether it is at a college or whatever.

I would ask your school's counsler about different options.And like the other people said.The high school diploma looks alot better than just a GED.

I said I would never go to college.Now I go every tuesday and thursday night.I am learning how to weld and I love it.The best part about me graduating was I got my 400ex.

Moded86R
01-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Werx615
tay en scoo so yu don en up lik me........j/k stay in school definitely.................man i wish i was back in high school, when i was in high school i couldnt wait to get out, now i wish i was back in it

It may sound weird but this is very true.The day I got out school i was actually sad.That is why I went to college.

SGA
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
You need to buck up and get your high school diploma. Day classes, night classes, weekend classes, whatever it takes. Yes, I have been in your shoes and I got my HS diploma.

Roobus1
01-21-2004, 01:34 PM
stay in school. Finish high-school man, it's really the only time in life that kind of drags by. Once you're out, life flies. Maybe even go to college. That was the best time of my life. Women, booze, naked drunkeness, going to class wasted(not the best idea but I managed). It's your first taste of real life and man is it fun. I wish I was there everyday instead of this working crap. Work becomes such a routine that life becomes kind of boring. Work can wait, be a kid as long as you can.

Glow Plug
01-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow this thread has been a real eye opener about how good my life really is, thanks guys

But back to the thread stay in school man, Everything else that needs to be said has been said already :)

01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
your avatar scares me glowplug

250exer
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Stay in school.

There's little to add to what Guy said. I can vouch for it because I hire a lot of people in entry level jobs (warehouse) and a GED is always a big question mark.

Worse yet is ending up in a position with no degree. No HS degree, no get hired at my company. End of story.

It's only a speed bump in the road of life. Suck it up.

My boy struggled like you are (maybe different issues), but he stuck it out and I think its safe to say he's glad he did.

I also think that down the road you will be a little more proud to have the HS Degree.

Good luck whatever you do.

AlaskaSpeed
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
9th and 10th grade i had alot of problems in my life which only 3 ppl know about and dont really care to discuss on a public forum but i was hardley in school and when i was i didnt do squat, and thats the truth, now i to far behind to even walk on graduation day and will be spending another year in school if i stay even with night and summer classes, my school counsler thought this was something i should look into as i can get my diploma later on in life. the past few nights i have been taking practice tests of each part of the GED and i passed all of them with near perfect scores, im already accepted into the fall semster and the tech school i want to go to and for what i want to do, I have a full time job that i can start at anytime. I have my parents support in this as long as i get my HS diploma after i finish tech school. I havent decided on anything for sure yet but im pretty sure i know what i want to do and that this would be in my best intrest right now, I just wanted to see what some of you thought, im open to opinions but dont start calling me stupid or anything like that because the last 1 1/2 years of school for me has went well since i turned parts of my life back in the right direction 2 years ago. but i dont think it would be good to be in high school for 2 more years:confused:

Sounds like you have things lined out pretty good, getting your GED seems like the wise option after all; it won't keep you from doing anything you want to do...........Good Luck! JIM

Glow Plug
01-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
your avatar scares me glowplug

haha thats because your a woman :p

MotoX3
01-21-2004, 03:55 PM
1st thing...

Originally posted by hondarep#1
STAY IN SCHOOL RIDE HARD AND ALWAYS WEAR A JIMMY- SINCERELY ME-a guy who was on the wrong path and found HONDA
wtf?:huh
2nd thing...
stay in school....youll appreciate it later in life