PDA

View Full Version : Port & Polish

EX4me
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm about to do some motor work & need some help. Waiting on a Hotcams Stage II cam, got a Ross 11:2:1 piston, cylinder with 89mm bore with an Advanced tapered sleeve. Got a friend that can do the porting & polishing plus the 3 angle valve job for me. I just need to know what I need to get for the cylinder head work. Do I need oversize valves & heavy duty valve springs, seals etc....... Also where is the best place to get these parts? Thanks for the help. Do I also need a heavy duty timing chain? I saw the one they have over at Pro Fab.

jshtex
01-21-2004, 08:09 AM
You will need valve stem seals, some are better than others according the the shop that did our head. We also needed new valves. Personally I would not trust just anybody to do "porting and polishing" unless I was sure they knew their stuff. And as for where to get stuff C&D has always been good to me.

AndrewRRR
01-21-2004, 09:08 PM
You don't "need" oversized valves, but if you have the money now would be a very good time to do it for more power. Typically you don't need stiffer springs unless you are going to be revving the engine past the spring's operating range or going with a really radical cam profile. I'd call Hotcam and ask them. Porting is the biggest variable you'll find in ATV motors. It can make or break an engine (or at least separate the kinda fast from the really fast). I'd spend the extra couple hundred bucks and have a really good engine buider do it. Sparks, TC, etc.

EX4me
01-22-2004, 08:50 AM
This guy works on nascar engines if not mistaken & has done alot of them before. I've seen some of his jobs & they are killer.

AndrewRRR
01-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by EX4me
This guy works on nascar engines if not mistaken & has done alot of them before. I've seen some of his jobs & they are killer.

Thats good, just wanted to make sure you knew how important the porting was. Make sure you tell him what kind of port job you want (low-mid, mid-top, all top, etc). Nascar porting focuses on extremely high flow numbers (CFM) since they never operate at lower rpm.

EX4me
01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Actually it will be a copy of a LRD head that was done.

QuadJunkies
01-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
You don't "need" oversized valves, but if you have the money now would be a very good time to do it for more power. Typically you don't need stiffer springs unless you are going to be revving the engine past the spring's operating range or going with a really radical cam profile. I'd call Hotcam and ask them. Porting is the biggest variable you'll find in ATV motors. It can make or break an engine (or at least separate the kinda fast from the really fast). I'd spend the extra couple hundred bucks and have a really good engine buider do it. Sparks, TC, etc. Ive got the same Mods as you, and I was told No you dont need Valves for it from Hetricks;) We asked this also