PDA

View Full Version : Pappy

Berry
01-20-2004, 08:38 PM
yo pappy, mind tellin us about your racing career? do you race? if so what class and all that good stuff. do you ever win? i see you have a tight 250r so lets hear it!

01-21-2004, 06:15 AM
You'll need to contact his PR person..:cool:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 06:37 AM
lol....racing career:devil:

actually i raced alot back in the late 80's and early 90's...mostly MX and a few hare scrambles. my best finish in mx was a few 2nd's and a 3rd in a hare scramble. i never really tried too hard i was just in it for the fun...and i still am:D i began racing on a yamaha 225 3 wheeler at a local XC track when i was 14. nothing fancy, in fact i even rode my trike to the race:p my next ride was a LT500 which was very powerful but wasnt that good in the woods. i did ok and had a ton of fun. ive raced Budd's Creek on it several times and actually was running first when a blown bearing carrier cost me fame and fortune:D i raced flattrack at Trailways Speedway in PA and it was the best fun id ever had. i never did great in TT but the thrill of hitting a slick corner with the hammer down will put a smile on your face soap cant remove:devil:

i got completely out of quads by 92 and didnt really get back into the sport until 2001 after watching a heuvos video. i couldnt believe what the guys were doing on a quad and the bug hit me again. i came to the sport with the intentions of racing MX again but after a pretty bad wreck at Mountaineer i finally faced that i was past the point of re training myself for the jumps required on todays MX tracks. hell i didnt even know what a double was:eek:

then i found this site. i read constantly and learn fast. after meeting several people from this site (Rico, Jeff and the gang) i started getting deeper involved with XC racing and the best set ups. My biggest highlight was when i met Harlen(EX Admin). we lived very close to each other and fast became close friends. working with him has been incredible. ive learned a ton from him and from the testing and racing that we do. its been alot of work and a blast too!!! He introduced me to Burgard and him and i hit it off pretty good. Ever since then we have been working together on all sorts of things.

I love the sport and most of the people ive encountered. i try not to come off like a know it all because frankly i dont know half of what id like too. the biggest plus for me is being in close contact with some of the fastest riders in the country. I get to ride with them, learn from them...and the biggest thing is just to LISTEN to what they have to say. I dont repeat 99% of the info i gather or am privy too, and i respect their personal thoughts and privacy. Getting to ride some of thier quads is huge plus also. I can give opinions on a wide variety of subjects thru my involvement with some of these guys...truly an awesome bunch.

id have to say learning the internet has been my biggest hurdle. when i first joined exriders i didnt even know how to send an email. now i can type over 100 words a minute and spend WAY to much time on the net. But as ive grown as person its actually been really cool to see other opinions and get insight from other riders and racers. I hope noone considers me anything more then i am....im just a guy who likes quads and riding...nothing more:)

Pappy
01-21-2004, 06:52 AM
as far as the latest R i have.

its one of bill ballance's old race quads. nothing fancy i assure you. it has a LRD attitude frame, axis LT fronts and axis no link rear. the axis designed a arms and swing arm...and a roll stem. hipers and fullbore, wer dampner , tag bars and a LRD 300cc engine. i installed XFactor nerfs, a new LRd pipe and silencer and some more goodies and im in the process of rebuliding it now. ill post some pics when she is done in a few weeks.

simoniz
01-21-2004, 07:01 AM
It would have took me a hour to type all that lol... Good story Pappy. Website's like this are great. You get to meet allot of good people that share the same interest as we do.

Glow Plug
01-21-2004, 07:21 AM
good story pappy :)

01-21-2004, 07:40 AM
you think we could sell this story as an autobiography:p

Max400
01-21-2004, 09:19 AM
You left out your talent for being the powdercoat King of the site!! I read some of your old post from when you first started powder coating and you came a long way, my hats off to you :D

My question is? when do you have time to work:D :D LOL

Just kidding, you are a fountian of knowledge that we all listen to!!! Not saying that you know evrything, but I think you have a great way of explaining things.....I think they call it the gift of gab:devil:

keep up the good work!!!!

zephead400ex
01-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol....racing career:devil:

actually i raced alot back in the late 80's and early 90's...mostly MX and a few hare scrambles. my best finish in mx was a few 2nd's and a 3rd in a hare scramble. i never really tried too hard i was just in it for the fun...and i still am:D i began racing on a yamaha 225 3 wheeler at a local XC track when i was 14. nothing fancy, in fact i even rode my trike to the race:p my next ride was a LT500 which was very powerful but wasnt that good in the woods. i did ok and had a ton of fun. ive raced Budd's Creek on it several times and actually was running first when a blown bearing carrier cost me fame and fortune:D i raced flattrack at Trailways Speedway in PA and it was the best fun id ever had. i never did great in TT but the thrill of hitting a slick corner with the hammer down will put a smile on your face soap cant remove:devil:

i got completely out of quads by 92 and didnt really get back into the sport until 2001 after watching a heuvos video. i couldnt believe what the guys were doing on a quad and the bug hit me again. i came to the sport with the intentions of racing MX again but after a pretty bad wreck at Mountaineer i finally faced that i was past the point of re training myself for the jumps required on todays MX tracks. hell i didnt even know what a double was:eek:

then i found this site. i read constantly and learn fast. after meeting several people from this site (Rico, Jeff and the gang) i started getting deeper involved with XC racing and the best set ups. My biggest highlight was when i met Harlen(EX Admin). we lived very close to each other and fast became close friends. working with him has been incredible. ive learned a ton from him and from the testing and racing that we do. its been alot of work and a blast too!!! He introduced me to Burgard and him and i hit it off pretty good. Ever since then we have been working together on all sorts of things.

I love the sport and most of the people ive encountered. i try not to come off like a know it all because frankly i dont know half of what id like too. the biggest plus for me is being in close contact with some of the fastest riders in the country. I get to ride with them, learn from them...and the biggest thing is just to LISTEN to what they have to say. I dont repeat 99% of the info i gather or am privy too, and i respect their personal thoughts and privacy. Getting to ride some of thier quads is huge plus also. I can give opinions on a wide variety of subjects thru my involvement with some of these guys...truly an awesome bunch.

id have to say learning the internet has been my biggest hurdle. when i first joined exriders i didnt even know how to send an email. now i can type over 100 words a minute and spend WAY to much time on the net. But as ive grown as person its actually been really cool to see other opinions and get insight from other riders and racers. I hope noone considers me anything more then i am....im just a guy who likes quads and riding...nothing more:)

so...this only took you 2 minutes to type? Internet junkie:macho :blah:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 09:32 AM
lol...i didnt nor am i the king of anything. the only reason i even started pc'n was because shipping was too much to chris waters. and yes ive learned a ton and still learning today:) i enjoy doing most of the work and love making stuff look cool. but no matter how sincere i am i still get people wanting to bash me and what not. im only as powerful as they make me. lol

as far as time. well i dont do much anymore except make decisions around work. im stuck in my office and after my work is done or inbetween work i browse the site. i cant stand TV anymore so i jump on the net. i research all kinds of junk. infact last night i was helping my son find info on some tree frog in brazil:huh

nowadays my focus has changed to being more in tune with the workings of exriders. as you can see with the race coverage so far its going to be a busy year. what was once a basic information exchange site has exploded since harlen took over. we have a ton of Pro riders and Industry people here now offering info , tips and advice as well as just hanging out. We would love for things to move faster but there is only so much harlen can do especially when he works full time...races and works the site. i looked around at other sites on the net and NO WHERE do you have what we offer. some sites just bash but most are pretty good. i think mainly the trouble stems from uneducated folks who assume they have all the answers:p

in any event , we plan on using the contacts we make to better the site and if all goes well make it the best and most well known atv site on the planet:macho

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 09:35 AM
lol...i didnt nor am i the king of anything. the only reason i even started pc'n was because shipping was too much to chris waters. and yes ive learned a ton and still learning today:) i enjoy doing most of the work and love making stuff look cool. but no matter how sincere i am i still get people wanting to bash me and what not. im only as powerful as they make me. lol

as far as time. well i dont do much anymore except make decisions around work. im stuck in my office and after my work is done or inbetween work i browse the site. i cant stand TV anymore so i jump on the net. i research all kinds of junk. infact last night i was helping my son find info on some tree frog in brazil:huh

nowadays my focus has changed to being more in tune with the workings of exriders. as you can see with the race coverage so far its going to be a busy year. what was once a basic information exchange site has exploded since harlen took over. we have a ton of Pro riders and Industry people here now offering info , tips and advice as well as just hanging out. We would love for things to move faster but there is only so much harlen can do especially when he works full time...races and works the site. i looked around at other sites on the net and NO WHERE do you have what we offer. some sites just bash but most are pretty good. i think mainly the trouble stems from uneducated folks who assume they have all the answers:p

in any event , we plan on using the contacts we make to better the site and if all goes well make it the best and most well known atv site on the planet:macho
u still havent pm'ed me back about pc'ing my soul gloss black with sparkles in it!:mad: :(

Pappy
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
u still havent pm'ed me back about pc'ing my soul gloss black with sparkles in it!:mad: :(

you have a soul:p :blah:

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 09:48 AM
you have a soul:p :blah:
i think i parted it out:p

bradley300
01-21-2004, 10:38 AM
lmgdao!

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
lmgdao!
still got some parts left over...................hey anyone know what the best pipe for a 400 is?:devil: :blah:

01-21-2004, 11:45 AM
If it weren't for Pappy I would never have eatin scrable for breakfast...:huh i still don't know WTF it is...:huh :huh

Pappy
01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
its SCRAPPLE:p and dont ask just eat what i fix:macho :blah:

Taco
01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Rico
If it weren't for Pappy I would never have eatin scrable for breakfast...:huh i still don't know WTF it is...:huh :huh I don't know what the hell it was but it sure tasted yummy:D

zephead400ex
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
If it weren't for Pappy I would never have eatin scrable for breakfast...:huh i still don't know WTF it is...:huh :huh

:confused: guess that's what friends are for...:D

01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Taco
I don't know what the hell it was but it sure tasted yummy:D

Maybe drinkin beer with it that early in the morning is what gave it a good taste..:confused:

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
its SCRAPPLE:p and dont ask just eat what i fix:macho :blah:
lol no questions just stuff it down ur throat diner! pappy u could make alot of money like that..........;)

Pappy
01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
lol no questions just stuff it down ur throat diner! pappy u could make alot of money like that..........;)

we went from scrapple to me makin money:devil: im better then i thought:p

SGA
01-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Scrapple, Urp:( Never again for me... Actually, it had turned and I didnt know it. I was green for a day.

01-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Scrapple, Urp:( Never again for me... Actually, it had turned and I didnt know it. I was green for a day.

YOu get the green apple splatters from it or sumtin Howie:confused:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 12:00 PM
maybe ill fry up some brains for you southern boyz:devil:

Ryan
01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Im aint smart enough to put the words together in scrapple! :( :o

01-21-2004, 12:02 PM
maybe ill fry up some brains for you southern boyz:devil:

You feed me brains I promise you'll go home with a jackazz award..:mad:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
You feed me brains I promise you'll go home with a jackazz award..:mad:

scrapple has brains in it:devil:

SCRAPPLE stands for: take all the SCRAP put it in a PAN and LETS EAT:eek:

01-21-2004, 12:05 PM

First time I've ever said this,,but your Kikked up next time I see ya..:mad: :mad:

Taco
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM

SCRAPPLE stands for: take all the SCRAP put it in a PAN and LETS EAT:eek: I knew it tasted familiar:devil:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 12:11 PM
First time I've ever said this,,but your Kikked up next time I see ya..:mad: :mad:

:eek: http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bolt.gif

jlhughes750
01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
A-holes and elbows!!!!!! thats good chit!!!!!

scrapple is actually hard to find in some places!!!!!hhhmmmm

Pappy: I agree 100% about the site, were gonna have the best coverage from all over the country this season..... Lookin forward to workin with u again...

Pappy
01-21-2004, 12:18 PM
J i fix some mean food at these rides....you should come to some of them.

and yes to the coverage...balls out this year!!!!

01-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Since i'll be running the morning class all year at the GNCC's I don't know if I'll be able to do much coverage or pic takin. Jeff want's me to be the quadshop pit ****** in the afternoons i think....:o

01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
If I am halling you assss to TX you better be mi pit ****** in the afternoon.

01-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
If I am halling you assss to TX you better be mi pit ****** in the afternoon.

:eek:

As long as I don't have to set my beer down I got ya covered...;)

Actually I keep forgettin Jeff will be on Pro Row and not with us other lowlife racers...:(

SGA
01-21-2004, 12:37 PM
YOu get the green apple splatters from it or sumtin Howie:confused:
Thought I would try scrapple. I was hugging the commode all day, I didnt know it was bad before I cooked it and got food poisoning. Heck, it smells bad when its fresh:(

Looking foward to meeting yall at the GNCC'S!
Pappy, no scrapple!:mad:

Pappy
01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
ok howie...no scrapple for you. i do fix a mean grilled pork and shrimp with sesame oil:devil:

SGA
01-21-2004, 12:45 PM
i do fix a mean grilled pork and shrimp with sesame oil:devil:
Drool....:blah: I'll be like a moth to a porch light at the grill:)

AtvMxRider
01-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Taco
I knew it tasted familiar:devil:

How would you know what brains taste like You've never had any.....................:eek2:

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 04:05 PM
You feed me brains I promise you'll go home with a jackazz award..:mad: well then pappy must of had it for a loonnnggg time then:eek: :blah: