PDA

View Full Version : Time for axle bearings??

CEET400ex
01-20-2004, 06:40 PM
The other day when i was ridin i heard a weird noise and got off and checked it and the chain was really loose....were talkin like 2-3 inches of play....and then today i went in the garage and rolled it back and forth and heard like a gritty scraping noise coming from the rear end...Im pretty sure its the axle bearings. So can anyone tell me where there is a detailed description of how to change the bearings with pictures and all...and where is the best price anyone has found on axle bearings? Also what else will i need to replace?.I have the mechanical know-how but just need instructions so i dont miss anything. Anyone got this information??

justdirt
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
go to the f.a.q. section, there is a thread in there (i think it was posted by ranger400ex or something like that) anyway it tells how to take the carrier out and heat it up in your oven. we tried it the other day and works great, sure beats trying to knock them out with hammer and chisel. hope this helps.

01-20-2004, 06:58 PM
go on ebay to get the bearing & seal kit for cheap...they last real good...have fun with this project..once you finish this project you will know the rear end of your 400ex inside & out in the bak of your head :blah:

01-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Go buy a Burgard carrier and chit can the stocker. They're on sale and your only gonna spend about $60 more on a good carrier..:cool: Contact C&D about it

CEET400ex
01-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Well today i took everything off and got done to where i just have the carrier left to remove but i cant do that because i stripped one of the 4 bolts on the swingarm. I was using the 6mm allen wrench but o well. Ya think i can find one of these bolts at the local hardware store? That sucks i had one more bolt to go and it stripped out. So anyone have ideas on removing the bolt. Its in there good and i dont know what to use. Vise grips probabl wouldnt hold i dont think...

PHAT400
01-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Go to the next size allen wrench in metric or the standard equivelent to the 6mm (which should be a little bit larger) and use a small hammer to force it into the stripped hole. Use a catalyst to penetrate the bolt first. I've done this so many damn times, it usually works..

Good luck.

If that does'nt work I have some hand grenade's that should persuade that bolt to come out..

:macho

K_Fulk
01-22-2004, 09:47 PM
This may nelp you get it out.
http://mototuneusa.com/allen_bolt_nightmare.htm

CEET400ex
01-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I finally got the strippelt out this morning thanks to an Easy-Out kit. DO i just pry the dust seals out of the carrier with a flat head screwdriver or what?....Then im gonna use the oven trick to get the bearings out. What position is the carrier supposed to be in when i put it back in..?..

dbsbl1
02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by CEET400ex
What position is the carrier supposed to be in when i put it back in..?..

The same way you took it out:eek2: