PDA

View Full Version : Durablue haha

muff
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
check out this interesting paragraph I just found on Durablues site trying to explain why their axles snap...(its the quads fault)

IMPORTANT AXLE INFORMATION
In spite of the warranty we offer, some axles are prone to breakage due to major design flaws in the original ATV.

Honda trx400ex
This bike has a short swing arm that angles down excessively (look at the bike from the side). Due to the angularity of the swing arm, there is a tendency for the bike to “jam” the axle into ground, virtually eliminating the action of the suspension. Imagine the front end off the ground (as in landing a jump) and you will see that there is no suspension action at all. The entire mass of the bike and rider (not to mention the impact load) are landing entirely on the axle. Your bike, effectively, has no rear suspension. The result is a broken axle (if this impact exceeds the tensile strength of the shaft). Be aware that the axle is fine, the bike is not.

Look for a major redesign axle and swing arm combination from Durablue in the future. Until then, be prepared to replace many axles.

Yamaha Raptor and Polaris
These two models have the same problem. Each bike is heavy and powerful (the Raptor is especially fast and used for extreme activity). Each has a very small, inadequate diameter axle. This is a combination that spells axle problems. The Raptor addressed its “small axle” problem with its very short axle. The result was a very unstable machine, however.

In general, wider axles create more leverage (loading). Using a shorter axle, while giving up stability, will increase axle life.

http://www.durablue.com/axledisclaim.html

Cole Trane
01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Way to go Durablue!! "Blame it on someone else", that's their new slogan. I guess they should maybe start making their products better so they don't have to do this!! That's why I went with the LSR!

nismo
01-20-2004, 01:41 PM
maybe they should make the axles to work with the bike they are ment for :o thats b/s other companies axle dont brake b/c of the angle:macho

seven
01-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Actually all axles will bend and break. I have seen 4 Lone star axles snap in half. And I actually have a pic of one right after it happened!

YLW400
01-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Can you post it Seven?

02Yellow400
01-20-2004, 02:17 PM
On there website they should just put

"You can buy this from us. But its just going to bend/break...but its all your fault so waste some of your money on us"

Lol thats some real faith in your product when you know they are all breaking and you do nothing to fix the problem except say its someone elses fault. Way to stand behind your product.

muff
01-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by seven
Actually all axles will bend and break. I have seen 4 Lone star axles snap in half. And I actually have a pic of one right after it happened!

yes to a certain extent...it will take a lot more to snap a rpm over a durablue however...my friend busted his durablue off a 30' tabletop and he did not case it or land crooked

I have also bent my lonestar by a few hairs from hittin a 50' tabletop, I'll be sending it out to them in a few days and see how that goes

seven
01-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
Can you post it Seven?

I can send it to sombody if they want to host the pic. I am all out of room on my site!

Mxbubs
01-20-2004, 05:47 PM
About the angle and geometry on the 400ex rear end, they are right. It happens.....I think it was in Huevos 3, someone hit a big jump and stabbed the back end into the ground, came down with the nose up I mean, and snapped the axle....

Im not a durablue fan by any means, however the geometry of the rear end, meaning how much ride height you have it set up, with have an effect on the beating the axle takes. The steeper the angle on the swingarm, the more beating the axle takes.

But I think their warranty is lame by the way.

muff
01-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
About the angle and geometry on the 400ex rear end, they are right. It happens.....I think it was in Huevos 3, someone hit a big jump and stabbed the back end into the ground, came down with the nose up I mean, and snapped the axle....

yea...maybe if he was level it may have not happend, who knows? either way he still overshot that pretty good

Cole Trane
01-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Even though the 400ex's rear end isn't perfect, that doesn't give them an excuse to say "well our axles will break and it's because of the four wheeler." We all know that axles break and there's not a lot you can do about it, but it's still doo-doo for them to say that.

JOEX
01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Here's the picture of the LSR axle that seven was talking about....

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Here's the picture of the LSR axle that seven was talking about....

ouch. at least he can get a new one for free though unlike some companies:mad:

EvilJester400EX
01-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
ouch. at least he can get a new one for free though unlike some companies:mad:

As long as he doesn't have scratches on the middle of the axle where it sits in the bearing carrier. I've heard that Lonestar will not replace the axle if there are scratches on the axle where it sits in the bearing carrier, anyone wanna shed some light on this? - This is only what I've heard, not what I know.

Cole Trane
01-21-2004, 11:20 AM
The lsr warranty says it will not replace axles torn up by bearing carriers. I don't know if that means scratches, or literally torn up.

01-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I'd have to say there talking about letting your axle carrier weld itself to the axle because of neglagence. Scratches are one thing compared to an axle that has been run in a dry axle carrier..

Basically they dont' warranty something because of your stupidity and lack of maintance..:cool:

seven
01-21-2004, 11:24 AM
That one was th 4th one I seen break in half. It has something to do with the way they harden them. Dura blue does it a difrent way which makes them more plyable. They bend easier but they are less likely to break in half. Notice i didnt say impossible!

Cole Trane
01-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Either way, if you break a lsr, you get a new one no problem. I know the first durablue is free, but you gotta pay 180 bucks(approximately) for all the ones after that. I think all you pay is shipping with lsr.

gibson400ex
01-21-2004, 11:30 AM
lsr told my brother if it breaks we send it back to them and they try to fix it. If they cant fix it they will send us another one for free!:D

kgbg
01-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I have an x33, its been bulletproof. I had the Heavy Duty DB, the one they don;t warranty after 90days. I bent the crap out of it. I called them, they sent me a new one when I sent in the old one, they evern straightened the bent one and sent it back too, all for free.
So say what you want, they stood behind a product they did not have to for me.

Cole Trane
01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Good to hear kgbg, glad they worked it out for you!!

hondarider2006
01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
a friend of mine bought a 300 ex from a guy this summer...pretty ragged thing, and definitly NOT worth the 2k he payed for it. It did come with a durablue axle, which was about the only thing descent on it. Anyways, he was out riding on night, and wrapped the thing around a pole....bent the whole left side to pieces....Thing rides like a horse now. He e-mailed durablue, and they said to find the origonal owned of the 300, and get a receipt. The only problem is.....is that he is like the 3rd-4th owner of this thing.....He is going to try to talk them into warrentying his w/ out the recipet, because its almost impossible to do. Do the other companys want a recipet when you need warrenty work done??

Cole Trane
01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I just have a warranty card with my axle(LSR). It says to fill it out and send it in if the axle breaks.

Pappy
01-21-2004, 04:26 PM
maybe im wrong but what i got from reading that ...is that they were refering to the stock axles not thier own axle:confused:

what has me more puzzled is the theory thye have on why axles break. ive seen stock axles out last lsr..prm and dura blue so i dont think the stock geometry is the biggest fault in all this.

maybe im just reading it wrong:confused:

muff
01-21-2004, 04:29 PM
you dont see as many stock axles bend/break...but you also have to realize that the stock axle has a lot less leverage on it then the extended aftermarket ones

Pappy
01-21-2004, 04:31 PM
yeah i agree with ya...im just saying they seem to place the blame on faulty geometry

DEAL
01-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
maybe im wrong but what i got from reading that ...is that they were refering to the stock axles not thier own axle:confused:

what has me more puzzled is the theory thye have on why axles break. ive seen stock axles out last lsr..prm and dura blue so i dont think the stock geometry is the biggest fault in all this.

maybe im just reading it wrong:confused:

Yeah , hes right.
Why don't people constantly bend the stock axles on 400exs?:huh

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-21-2004, 07:37 PM
i bent my axle on my 400ex and my quad was not even a month old, they can't be that strong.

Pappy
01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
i wasnt stating that stock wont bend....but if im paying out the cash for aftermartket id like to see them last longer then they do or have some support from the companies not a lesson on how the atv manufactures screwed up the geometry on every quad ever made...that been said i can conclude that stock must be damn strong because by dura blues statements i can only conclude the vast sea of 400ex stock axles will break when riden becuase of the geometry :eek2:

did ya get that:blah:

muff
01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
I got ya now pappy :D

I've never bent a stock axle..I dont see how i could :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p62d7269bf39c47eb3337e8c5ae2397e9/f9de4209.jpg

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-21-2004, 08:12 PM
alrighty.