PDA

View Full Version : Fix For The Axcalibur Hub!!!

xrracer36
01-20-2004, 07:17 AM
(knock on wood)
:devil:
i think we've fixed it!!!
i was on last fall asking about the crappy hubs that get play in them on the axcalibur (the aluminum sprocket hub) and the only fix was to buy a new $120 aluminum hub (expected to last approx. 1 season before needing replaced), or to jerry-rig it with extra spacer clips things!?!?!:huh i don't think so.
i searched for an ATV salvage yard and bought a bent stock 400ex axle with a good stock sprocket hub still on it (www.inlandatv.com (http://www.inlandatv.com) , which was cheap compared to the near $300 for a new one, cuz who else is gonna want a bent stock axle?)
i took the axle to the local honda shop, had them carefully press the stock hub inward, to get the clip off, then off (after letting some PB blaster penetrating fluid work it's magic on the "seam" between the hub and axle overnite the night before)
knocked the already loose LSR aluminum JUNK hub off the aftermarket axle with a hammer (so loose it didn't need a press) and then ran into what i thought would be a problem. the stock hub SLID right on. :eek: no press, no pounding, no heating required. no freeplay in it whatsoever, mind you, but it just slid right into place...
not good i thought, but it had no play, and we went that far, so we dediced to put it all back together and give it a try. i've talked to one other guy whohad the same thing with his warrior when he put a LSR axle on it and his stock hub slid right on, and it is still tight, over 2 years later...
ridden my newly fixed 400ex 3 times since, under some heavy loads and high speeds, and still showing no signs of any wear whatsoever. it can't move any direction on the axle at all.
maybe the hub sliding on that easy is a sign that the parts line up that perfectly that they fit together so well???

so, *knock on wood* i am going to go out on a limb here and say that for $70 ($60 for the axle, and $10 labor for removing the hub) we have found a fix for the LSR axcalibur axle-junky_aluminum_hub_that_wears_out problem and the annual $120 fix that results when the alum. hub needs replaced yearly.

ps; i'll try and keep posted any changes (or lack thereof ) as the season goes on...

:macho

JOEX
01-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info:macho

What did the splines look like on the LSR? Was the chrome worn off?

Joe

xrracer36
01-20-2004, 10:59 AM
the splines on the LSR axle looked good.
the splines inside the hub looked good at first, but upon closer inspection, it could be noticed that they were worn out slightly, making them not as close as they once were.

the splines on hte axle would have no reason to wear. it is heat treated hardened steel, and it is chome plated. it would take a frickin diamond to ruin that part. logically, it was teh hub absorbing any wear that would occur. it was only aluminum, and aluminum is a much MUCH softer metal than steel.

the stock hub which i replaced the aluminum one with is steel. it should not wear (or at least not nearly as fast if it does)

:cool:

01-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by xrracer36
or to jerry-rig it with extra spacer clips things!?!?!:huh i don't think so.

It was a free fix and still workin just fine....:D

Good info though, I'll have to see about finding a stock axle when mine finally goes south, that's if it ever does...:confused:

01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Lol sumtime jerry riggin it is just as much fun. :blah:

JOEX
01-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by xrracer36
the splines on the LSR axle looked good.
the splines inside the hub looked good at first, but upon closer inspection, it could be noticed that they were worn out slightly, making them not as close as they once were.

the splines on hte axle would have no reason to wear. it is heat treated hardened steel, and it is chome plated. it would take a frickin diamond to ruin that part. logically, it was teh hub absorbing any wear that would occur. it was only aluminum, and aluminum is a much MUCH softer metal than steel.

the stock hub which i replaced the aluminum one with is steel. it should not wear (or at least not nearly as fast if it does)

:cool:
I agree that the axle splines should not wear before the aluminum hub. I was just wondering if the chrome on the splines somehow came off and caused some play in there. I suppose the chrome is too thin to cause much of a problem.

I thought the stock hub is aluminum as well? I will be hanging on to mine just in case:) ;)

Joe

Mxbubs
01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
What does it mean to Jerry-Rig something?

EvilJester400EX
01-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs

Half-a** the job.

lil400exman
01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
maw craig it means to do a home-made job on it sometimes good sometimes quick and easy!:devil:

Mxbubs
01-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Hahahaha.....OOOhh...okay, im from the south......they call that something else down here.....

01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
me too down here they call it exuse my language "******"riggin it

xrracer36
01-22-2004, 11:43 AM
that is not an exclusive southern term.
i just feel i have too much class, respect, and intelligence to use that term.

:rolleyes:

racer36:macho

Narly R
01-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Will a 400ex hub fir on a 250r LSR axel? And does anyone know if anyone sells a aftermarket steel hub? j/w

Thanks for the info!;)