PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding fenders

trouble661
01-20-2004, 02:33 AM
what grit paper should i use to wet sand my fenders? I have heard wet sanding and using plastic renew makes them look a whole lot better. If anyone has any input or another idea please let me know.

44oEX
01-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Well im going to paint my fenders so Im going to use 800grit but if your not going to paint yours it's like if you just polish something. I would say don't go any lower then 2000.

mustang
01-20-2004, 11:45 AM
be carfull painting the plastics I hope you art gonna use that plasticote crap? some onried that w/ no luck, looked worse than before

44oEX
01-20-2004, 12:25 PM
no im just going to use car paint

trouble661
01-20-2004, 02:53 PM
im not going to paint. i just want to sand the scratches out then use some plastic polishing compounds, then maybe some mop n glo.

01-20-2004, 03:43 PM
before you mess up ur plastic take sum amorall to it and see how it turns out. just tryin to stop you from sandin it

remlapr
01-20-2004, 03:51 PM
I've heard sanding them doesn't work - they will just turn white on you. Let us know how it turns out if you do it though.

01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
i saw a 400ex that was on ebay and some douche did that to his fenders and it looked soo crapy. It was all white and powdery looking. just use amorall or sumtin equilent.

rap169
01-21-2004, 01:43 AM
it only looks white if it wasnt buffed out. Problem with buffing plastic is that it will burn very easily. you need a low speed buffer with a string buff wheel and special plastic compund. It can be done, and will look great, but its very time consuming and you have to take your time and not get the plastic too hot. I have done alot of headlights from cars and had exceptional results, and i also f***ed up some too:( . But things happen.

trouble661
01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
heres is some advice i didnt take... dont sand your fenders they will look like crap. i sanded one side and use Turtlewax rubbing compound on the other side. the sanded side looked like crap. turned out just like 440ex said they would and the other side looks great. anyone interested in some rear fenders?. just think I work at a plastics company and im on here asking for advice. Im picking up some Novus tomorow hopefully that will take the scratches out because even rubbing compound wont take them out.

trouble661
01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
heres is some advice i didnt take... dont sand your fenders they will look like crap. i sanded one side and use Turtlewax rubbing compound on the other side. the sanded side looked like crap. turned out just like Remlapr said they would and the other side looks great. anyone interested in some rear fenders?. just think I work at a plastics company and im on here asking for advice. Im picking up some Novus tomorow hopefully that will take the scratches out because even rubbing compound wont take them out.

foleyit
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
I read in Dirt Wheels to use Pledge. I laughed when I read it. I had always used Armor All and it looked nice, but I always got this dusty film when finished riding. I have a few scuffs in my plastic and sure enough it looks like new. Friends always comment how nice my rides look. Plus if fights dust!

:blah: