PDA

View Full Version : I need some info on Flywheel Mod????

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Can someone explain what this is to me??? do any of you do this? I have a reason for asking.........:D

JOEX
01-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Do you mean lightening/shaving the flywheel?

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Do you mean lightening/shaving the flywheel? I think so:confused: I guess there is a kit you can buy to so this?? Troy just ran it past me tonight and I was wanting info on what exacly the purpose serves to doing this???.......A few racing Co. told him this would be benificial........:)

JOEX
01-19-2004, 01:05 AM
I don't think there's a kit for shaving the flywheel. It needs to be sent to a machine shop to remove some of the metal. At least that's what I understand

It's supposed to let the motor rev more freely but the down side is there's a bit of loss of low rpm grunt and potential stalling at low rpm's. I got this info from this site, the subject comes up every once in awhile.

I belive Rico and Uglymutha have done this.

Joe

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think there's a kit for shaving the flywheel. It needs to be sent to a machine shop to remove some of the metal. At least that's what I understand

It's supposed to let the motor rev more freely but the down side is there's a bit of loss of low rpm grunt and potential stalling at low rpm's. I got this info from this site, the subject comes up every once in awhile.

I belive Rico and Uglymutha have done this.

Joe thank you, Ill do a search and check it out!!!:) ;)

twisted threads
01-19-2004, 01:45 AM
I have a lighter fly wheel on my R to help me get more RPM's. I was going to lighten the flywheel on my Ex but I decided not to because It could make my bike stall out easy in the sand and I can't have that.:cool:

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
I have a lighter fly wheel on my R to help me get more RPM's. I was going to lighten the flywheel on my Ex but I decided not to because It could make my bike stall out easy in the sand and I can't have that.:cool: So this is only good on some Quads and not others??? So I take it, it hurts your bottom end, but helps you rev out more??? Maybe I better not think about this then:( ........

twisted threads
01-19-2004, 02:00 AM
For racing I think it would help but It could and probley would hert the bottom end in the dunes but I don't know much about the Preds, so.....its your call.:cool:

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
For racing I think it would help but It could and probley would hert the bottom end in the dunes but I don't know much about the Preds, so.....its your call.:cool: ohhhhhhh no,no,no,no.........this is for my 400ex!!!:blah: shes getting an overhaul!:D :cool:

twisted threads
01-19-2004, 02:21 AM
In the dirt I don't think a lighter flywheel would hert but like I said in the dunes It will have its down side but it would have its ups to.... but to me the down side out weighs the up side. You could buy one and see if it herts and if you dont like it take it off and put your stock one back on.

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 07:47 AM
a lightend flywheel isn't goin to hurt you anywhere, you just have to learn how to ride it with a lighter flywheel you bike is goin to rev and accelerate quicker but since there is less rotating mass you can't lug it as much as you could before, if you keep your r's up your fine in any riding condition, mines goin out the end of this week to be lightened i'm sending it to rocky ridge, they'll do it for 80 bucks if you want the number QJ i could hunt it up for ya :o

dirtmomma
01-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
ohhhhhhh no,no,no,no.........this is for my 400ex!!!:blah: shes getting an overhaul!:D :cool:

:devil: :blah: :macho :cool: RIGHT ON!!! Just don't loose that bottom end;)

01-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
a lightend flywheel isn't goin to hurt you anywhere, you just have to learn how to ride it with a lighter flywheel you bike is goin to rev and accelerate quicker but since there is less rotating mass you can't lug it as much as you could before, if you keep your r's up your fine in any riding condition, mines goin out the end of this week to be lightened i'm sending it to rocky ridge, they'll do it for 80 bucks if you want the number QJ i could hunt it up for ya :o

This ugly SOB almost knows what he's talkin about. I had mine done at Rocky Ridge and ugly pretty much summed it all up on the pro's and con's.

This mod is only if you know how to put the hammer down...:D

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Rico

aint' that what it's all about :o :p

Derrick D
01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Can someone post the # to Rocky Ridge. I have been looking for it, but I can only find their old #.

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 10:02 AM
270-259-9604 :o

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 10:10 AM
270-259-9604 :o thanks!! Ok now, what is it that they are trying to sell us then:confused: tis like 20.00 to do yourself at home, comes with all that is needed to do this ourself?? Troy said it comes with its own tool and everything.. Ill find out later who it was that he talked to( I know he talked with alot like Denton, Hetricks ect for misc. mods)

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Rico

I dunno if I can :o :p .......... Seems like I am the Wheelie Queen though lately!!!:blah: :devil:

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
:devil: :blah: :macho :cool: RIGHT ON!!! Just don't loose that bottom end;) Im not too worried about the bottom end after the PRedator Carb goes on my Ride I think that could take care of that and a few other things :devil:

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 10:31 AM
he has to be talking about the timing advance key, it's 20 bucks and it come with a bolt to take you flywheel off which is also a worth while mod

03400EX_Nacs
01-19-2004, 10:37 AM
a lightend flywheel isn't goin to hurt you anywhere, you just have to learn how to ride it with a lighter flywheel you bike is goin to rev and accelerate quicker but since there is less rotating mass you can't lug it as much as you could before, if you keep your r's up your fine in any riding condition, mines goin out the end of this week to be lightened i'm sending it to rocky ridge, they'll do it for 80 bucks if you want the number QJ i could hunt it up for ya
i am getting my 416 done and thier sending my flywheel off. they said it will help do something i forgot does anyone know? and is rocky ridge good? i sure hope so:confused:

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs
i am getting my 416 done and thier sending my flywheel off. they said it will help do something i forgot does anyone know? and is rocky ridge good? i sure hope so:confused:

Ya I said exactly what it does in my post you just qouted :confused:

and yea rocky ridge is awsome, they did my carb and i was very pleased plus they got an awsome turn around time

03400EX_Nacs
01-19-2004, 10:54 AM
ohi didnt exactly read it all :o :o i just noticed roch ridge and flywheel:o

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I know my 400ex isnt as comp. as alot thats out ther now, but my ole man is trying to beef mine up for me for summer racing:macho so Im trying to get as much BANG as I can Thanks for the info, Ill do some phone calls later today.....;)

UglyMotha™
01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
In my opinion there QJ i would call up c&d and get ya a sparks key and since your goin to have the flywheel off go ahead and send it to rocky ridge, that right there will be a great addition to your bike and will be noticable but not to expensive :o

ps. don't forget to order a side case gasket for the left hand side cause you'll need it

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 11:00 AM
In my opinion there QJ i would call up c&d and get ya a sparks key and since your goin to have the flywheel off go ahead and send it to rocky ridge, that right there will be a great addition to your bike and will be noticable but not to expensive :o

ps. don't forget to order a side case gasket for the left hand side cause you'll need it Thanks....:)

01-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs

Ballance and Jeremiah both started out racing for Ken, with Kens built motors. HE's a small shop that can't sponsor bigger riders due to money but he is good. He's a ATV racer also and has one a championship or 2 in his classes in the GNC's.

Respectable guy I think.

RedEX Baron
01-19-2004, 03:56 PM
although ive never run a lightend flywheel on an atv, i know from running one in both my Built VW and turbocharged civic..the less mass will let the motor rev up quicker , wont give you anymore HP , but will let you get to it quicker, downside in my cars are that i have to rev them alot higher to pull out,( cept the VW it pull out with the front wheels in the air) and its a peaky kind of power, i would think that for racing it would be good, but for trail riding it would suck. .you would have to rev the snot out of to get it going..but thats just my guess?

01-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by RedEX Baron
you would have to rev the snot out of to get it going..but thats just my guess?

Actually you don't. It's not that bad at all and you get used to it quick.

I nice 8 plate clucth w/HD springs and hinson basket is also nice to have with this setup...;)

AtvMxRider
01-19-2004, 06:30 PM
ohhhhhhh no,no,no,no.........this is for my 400ex!!!:blah: shes getting an overhaul!:D :cool:

Thats good cause the predator has a hard enough time staying together.............:eek2:

dirtmomma
01-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Thats good cause the predator has a hard enough time staying together.............:eek2: LMFAO Jerry your gonna git in trouble :devil: :p ;)

AtvMxRider
01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
LMFAO Jerry your gonna git in trouble :devil: :p ;)

Who meeeeeeeeeee? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:devil:

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Who meeeeeeeeeee? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:devil: yes you ,you lil chit!:grr: :eek: :p ;) PRedator is going to be all ready to go this week....... I guess the Sparks timing advance Key is what I needed to know
;) He called to order one today from somewhere but they were sold out:grr: ......

QuadJunkies
01-21-2004, 10:05 AM
So...... If Im getting a new CDI, I was just informed not to do anything with the flywheel,is this true???? And also that a modified motor will tend to run hotter with this done.........

UglyMotha™
01-21-2004, 10:40 AM
So...... If Im getting a new CDI, I was just informed not to do anything with the flywheel,is this true???? And also that a modified motor will tend to run hotter with this done.........

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif you run race fuel don't you you'll be fine, and if i was you i would actually stay away from the cdi

OCCRA288
01-21-2004, 10:45 AM
QJ there are downsides to the timing advance key.

If you plan on bumping your compression up don't run it. Everyone I used to race with that had the KEY and bumped up their compression had head gasket problems until they took their KEY out.

You could shave the flywheel and go with a heavy High Compression piston to regain the bottom end but still have some of the benefits of the lightened flywheel.

If you decide you need more bottom end you could even weight the flywheel. This can make the motor a little harder to start but not much.

Good luck with it.

QuadJunkies
01-21-2004, 10:47 AM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif you run race fuel don't you you'll be fine, and if i was you i would actually stay away from the cdi hahaha( blah,blah) Why you say that???? I know someone with similar set up with a CDI in his:confused: You do know that I will be having a Big Bore put in....... right???????

QuadJunkies
01-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by OCCRA288
QJ there are downsides to the timing advance key.

If you plan on bumping your compression up don't run it. Everyone I used to race with that had the KEY and bumped up their compression had head gasket problems until they took their KEY out.

You could shave the flywheel and go with a heavy High Compression piston to regain the bottom end but still have some of the benefits of the lightened flywheel.

If you decide you need more bottom end you could even weight the flywheel. This can make the motor a little harder to start but not much.

Good luck with it. My compression will be around 11:5??? I think(or 11:1 He!! I cant remember what it is off hand) And YEs. I will be running c12 when I get it all done, I do know about bumping Comp. What can happen:eek2:

UglyMotha™
01-21-2004, 10:52 AM
hahaha( blah,blah) Why you say that???? I know someone with similar set up with a CDI in his:confused: You do know that I will be having a Big Bore put in....... right???????

because that's the same excuse you get outta of every other joe, it creates to much heat, i really wouldn't consider a 426 a big bore, mines a 416 not much difference there actually it really doesn't matter what bore you run the key in i've known a couple guys with 500's running keys with no probs only time you'll see probs is running higher compression like 12 or higher but since you'll be around 11 you'll be fine run atleast race mix or else you probably will burn a couple holes thru the top of the piston, and most cdi's tend to wreck havoc later down the road however there are a couple good ones out there now days but i see no point in them really, i rarely hit mine and mine was built to by a high rever

ahh yes i've got 11:1 compression with the larger bore and i'm running the key and have only burnt 2 holes thru the top of my piston :o

01-21-2004, 11:18 AM
if i was you i would actually stay away from the cdi

I agree, you'll be fine without it. I'v run a stocker for years until I got the GT thunder CDI. The main reason I got it is because I couldn't pass up the deal on it and Laz said it would be a nice addition to my motor.