PDA

View Full Version : MX boots..

Raptor4439
01-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a pair of Thor T-30's and I need some info. They were kinda stiff when I first pulled them on. It was hard to change gears on my ex because they were so stiff, after that days ridin I stood in a puddle of water so they could losen up a little bit but they are stiff rough with to change gears, are they supposed to be this stiff? someone help me out..

hondafox440
01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Just walk around with them. Everywhere. The more you walk around in them, the softer they will become.

Try to avoid using heat as some people suggest, because that gets rid of the waterproof wax that they put around the seams, so the boots will lose thier waterproofing ability.

You can also look for a no-heat baseball glove or leather softener.

Bill Fuller
01-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Not trying to degrade your boots but the cheaper boots are not made out of the same leather that more expensive boots(SIDI,Alpine Star etc...) are made of.To answer your question yes that is normal for Thor boots to be stiff.The reason boots are stiff like that is to protect the ankle from twisting in the event of a crash or running over the leg.I have only owned Alpine Stars and will continue to do so they are very comfotable right out of the box but extremley durable.

Raptor4439
01-18-2004, 10:32 PM
paid 130 bucks for cheap boots..well damn. Anyway ill head up to walmart and see if I can find some softener, how soft can they get? I need to get them where I can shift as easy with my casual shoes.

Bill Fuller
01-18-2004, 10:34 PM
$250-$300 for Alpine Stars:(

Raptor4439
01-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
$250-$300 for Alpine Stars:(

Holy ****

Well my thors can get the job done. while were on the subject of pricing, is MSR stuff considered the "cheap" stuff? When I went to go buy my racing gear MSR looked the best and it matched my ex :P

hondafox440
01-18-2004, 11:08 PM
The T-30s are made with Italian leather, just like A-Stars. If you break them in they will get just as soft as A-Stars.

Got Huevos?
01-18-2004, 11:24 PM
How long have you had your boots? i think you got an early habit of shifting mostly with soley your ankle, as you go over time you'll get used to using your whole leg to shift so its kind of one quick motion, you will want those boots stiff given you get air born off you quad in mid-air and come down hard or in an akward position. or if you come off your quad and your legs get ran over, i did both these many times. :o

BlasterBTW
01-18-2004, 11:29 PM
When I first got my Thor T-30's they were stiff as a rock also. Just beat the **** out of them and they will soften up. Also with the shifting, try moving the shifter's angle up a notch, it helped for me.
Bryan

Raptor4439
01-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by BlasterBTW
When I first got my Thor T-30's they were stiff as a rock also. Just beat the **** out of them and they will soften up. Also with the shifting, try moving the shifter's angle up a notch, it helped for me.
Bryan

I did that up about a half of inch and it helped a little, I have nerf bars also so that screws me over.

thump4863
01-20-2004, 06:23 AM
I had a pair of thors and it took a couple months but the got pretty soft....my dads did too. Just break them in really good and you will be fine.

ZSK
01-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Probably a little off subject, but I got a pair of oneal all terrian or atv boots as they are called. I like them a lot, they're soft enough to shift easily and feel the brake action. Yet stiff enough for protection. I went for a hike through the woods to break mine in. I walked maybe 1/2 mile and 2 rides later they were right where I wanted them. And they haven't soften up any since.

brandon025
01-20-2004, 04:31 PM
I normally go the cheap route when it comes to spending money, but after breaking my ankle twice this past summer(Once w/o boots and once with cheaper boots), I invested in some Alpinestars Tech-8's, I think I paid $260 for them which was a really good deal, but they are soooo worth it. Not only do they protect you better, but the quality and comfort is amazing compared to lower-end boots. IMO the extra $150-200 spent on better boots beats hospital bills and 3 months of crutches:( . Either way any boots are better than no boots, they make a big difference.

PHAT400
01-20-2004, 05:08 PM
While we are on the subject of sub-par boot's.... what about the fox gear... all fluff?

PHAT400
01-20-2004, 05:08 PM
While we are on the subject of sub-par boot's.... what about the fox gear... all fluff?

Berry
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
walk around as much as possible and if there THAT bad, move your sifter knob up! just looosen that little bolt that goes through it and move the splines up, that helped me.

redroost85
01-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Come to think of it I need some new boots. I got the FOX (Tracker?) boots. They are now 2 years old. Yeah, they pretty much suck, but they are better than sneakers, lol!

I need to get me some A-stars or something. I wish I weren't so poor.:(