PDA

View Full Version : top end cutting out-aka jetting,once again

speedy400
01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
hey my dad and I took his ds650 out for runs in the ice drags today. I took it on the strip and it ran great till its just about topping out and it kinda "coughs" just once, then a few sec's later(little more speed) it'll do it a few more times, and then it does it more ect. would this be too rich mainjet jetting or too lean?this has never happened before under similar conditions.thanks very much-darren

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 08:16 PM
usually a spudder here and there would mean a rich setting but not always. i would do a plug chop and see what you have. also, i am wondering if your just hitting the rev limit.

did you get your ex to run or you still fine tuning it?

speedy400
01-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
usually a spudder here and there would mean a rich setting but not always. i would do a plug chop and see what you have. also, i am wondering if your just hitting the rev limit.

did you get your ex to run or you still fine tuning it?
I dont think it was the rev limiter quite yet, I was going 70mph at the end of the 1000 feet(with 25 mph wind towards us) .I'll check it out with out the lid tmorrow and see if it gets better. the ex?- I didnt have time to change the jetting, when I talked to you I was just starting to mount my plastic and change the tires(only have 1 set of 9 inch rims) and I had a hard time, anywho I tried to run it just for the heck of it and itbogged pretty bad. So I did go back down to 180 this evening(start from there and go down) and changed the pilot back to 45. Tomorrow I'll do the plug chops.... today with wind chill it was -20 I guess....-darren

BTW thanks very much!

cals400ex
01-19-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by speedy400
I dont think it was the rev limiter quite yet, I was going 70mph at the end of the 1000 feet(with 25 mph wind towards us) .I'll check it out with out the lid tmorrow and see if it gets better. the ex?- I didnt have time to change the jetting, when I talked to you I was just starting to mount my plastic and change the tires(only have 1 set of 9 inch rims) and I had a hard time, anywho I tried to run it just for the heck of it and itbogged pretty bad. So I did go back down to 180 this evening(start from there and go down) and changed the pilot back to 45. Tomorrow I'll do the plug chops.... today with wind chill it was -20 I guess....-darren

BTW thanks very much!

no problem. however, that weather is too cold for me to go riding.

hondarider2006
01-19-2004, 02:54 AM
I went riding tonight at -60, plus a wind chill. Man the things love will make a person do.....:)

speedy400
01-19-2004, 10:23 AM
:O how do you get your wheeler to start at that temp!!! My battery is @ 50% and I couldnt get it to pull the motor over! (had to use a jump start) my dad had the same problem.-darren

phebus
01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I went riding tonight at -60, plus a wind chill. Man the things love will make a person do.....:)
I suggest you don't change your jetting, but rather move to a warmer climate!! :D

400exr
01-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I had the same problem with my 400ex just a little while ago, and belive it or not I went up in my main jet and it got better. I suggest you do a chop test and see what that does, even though somtimes it doesn't tell you f*ck all, and then go from there.

hondarider2006
01-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
:O how do you get your wheeler to start at that temp!!! My battery is @ 50% and I couldnt get it to pull the motor over! (had to use a jump start) my dad had the same problem.-darren

I put it in the shop for about 25-30 minutes with the battery charger on it, once she fired up, it ran fine. Never again though....:p

speedy400
01-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 400exr
I had the same problem with my 400ex just a little while ago, and belive it or not I went up in my main jet and it got better. I suggest you do a chop test and see what that does, even though somtimes it doesn't tell you f*ck all, and then go from there. alright, we have the main runs this sat. I'll bust out the DS tmorrow and do a plug chop and check it out, thanks guys-darren

skemp
01-19-2004, 07:47 PM
180 is too big. You could safely go to a 170, even in this weather. Where are the ice drags at? French Lake? I have to get some screws so I can get back out on the ice.

speedy400
01-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by skemp
180 is too big. You could safely go to a 170, even in this weather. Where are the ice drags at? French Lake? I have to get some screws so I can get back out on the ice.
and there lies my problem, I did a plug chop today and took a pic of the plug... My image hosting place isnt working but if ya give me your email I could send you..... its pretty lean for some reason. thats what I dont understand. The plug reads the same no matter if I have a 170 main in of a 200.... ect.
cals400 and I have been trying to figure it out in the last few days... -darren