PDA

View Full Version : ATVA sounds laws for racing!

A4StrokeGuy
01-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I just read the 2004 ATVA rules and it says that we can not be louder then 99db or your state's sounds law whichever is lower, this is for AMA sanctioned events. Just wondering what everyone is going to do about this, i know my LRD won't make it , but i do have a S/A for it. Motor builders, pro's, are there pipes out there that are AMA legal??

jordan

01-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by A4StrokeGuy
I just read the 2004 ATVA rules and it says that we can not be louder then 99db or your state's sounds law whichever is lower, this is for AMA sanctioned events. Just wondering what everyone is going to do about this, i know my LRD won't make it , but i do have a S/A for it. Motor builders, pro's, are there pipes out there that are AMA legal??

jordan

that is f'in stupid...who wants a quad that doesn't make any sounds...they could at least put it at 110db i mean my god a cheifs game is louder then that...we better make a db limit for that 2...please...:rolleyes:

crashinmatt
01-18-2004, 06:39 PM
there has been a topic goin on this on ********, and from what i got out of it, its up to the promoters of each event to check, and that would take a lot of time. i have heard that there wont be much checkin goin on. if they check one they need to check them all.

Martin Blair
01-18-2004, 06:56 PM
np ama races for me

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
if this is true....some people that run TC exhaust will have to ditch um...because TC exhaust is the loudest exhaust ive ever heard on a quad....and ive heard sparks, lrd all the top brands...nothing was as loud as that TC

MotoX3
01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
have no fear....ricos maxwell can exhaust will be done shortly....i hear theres massive power gains and little sound...and you dont have to rejet!!:eek2:

01-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
have no fear....ricos maxwell can exhaust will be done shortly....i hear theres massive power gains and little sound...and you dont have to rejet!!:eek2:

lol that thing is halarious...this rule is f'in stupid...god damn they are turning atv racing into a p***y sport...:(

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 07:33 PM
agreed 100%.....dude theres too many noise laws....people dont like it...dont come to the races, or plug your ears...

that noise restrictions remind me of some utiltly stalker exhaust.....fugg that i gotta be heard...

01-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
agreed 100%.....dude theres too many noise laws....people dont like it...dont come to the races, or plug your ears...

that noise restrictions remind me of some utiltly stalker exhaust.....fugg that i gotta be heard...

ya that is true and pretty stupid of ama and atva

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 07:37 PM
aftermarket exhaust is proally the most mod done to quads, besides bore kits....and the loudness gives better hp gains instead of some quiet stalker pos

01-18-2004, 07:41 PM
aftermarket exhaust is proally the most mod done to quads, besides bore kits....and the loudness gives better hp gains instead of some quiet stalker pos

ya...tru dat

tprender
01-18-2004, 08:03 PM
You can say anything that you want about how good lod exhaust are. but, the sound issue is here to stay. You can kind of compare it to the use of seat belts, airbags, no more 2-strokes, and the DWI laws. some sports can get away with loud noise, but M/C and ATV racing are getting hit hard by the general public. this is an issuse that will not go away. You will see more restrictions in the future years. So, you can argue all that you want. It is hear to stay.

01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by tprender
You can say anything that you want about how good lod exhaust are. but, the sound issue is here to stay. You can kind of compare it to the use of seat belts, airbags, no more 2-strokes, and the DWI laws. some sports can get away with loud noise, but M/C and ATV racing are getting hit hard by the general public. this is an issuse that will not go away. You will see more restrictions in the future years. So, you can argue all that you want. It is hear to stay.

well it better not be...i will make a petition for the ama and atva

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:13 PM
i dont think mr tpretender knows what hes talking bout....mx and airbags, seat belts, and dwi are 2 different subjects my friend....you have to have a license to drive a car....any joe schmoe can race mx if they are good enuff and got the lug nuts....you will see how long a loud exhaust rule stays in effect when no 1 is showing up for ama atva sanctioned events any more due to "loudness rules".....i can see if your trail ridding, or rec ridding....but competitors put exhaust on atvs because its probally the best bang for the buck...of course theres different mods...an expensive motor that wont mess up....bout 3 grand including labor, a-arms and handling mods....bout anywhere between 1 and 3 grand....jet kit, exhaust, and air filter...bout 500 to 600.00

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:19 PM
personally i think having a loud exhaust on a quad makes the quad...fugg them pea shooters.....i need some thump...hence how the 4 strokes got the name "thumpers"...a quad with a good loud exhaust on it makes my toes curl, and my mouth drop in aw...sorta like any man with a v8 with flowmasters, or glass pack exhaust...an a pro comp cam....ahh....jus gives me a chub thinkin bout it.....loudness is every thing...i dont see the gov't saying any thing to drag racers that are louder than hell...these import drivers with the fart can exhaust....

dont spoil our fun people...how interesting would any race be without the loudness....i think the loudness gets the cround and people stoked....esp at drags.....and me personally i think its pretty bad arse standing beside the mx track hearing a quad blow by me with an exhaust that just has that rumble

01-18-2004, 08:20 PM
i dont think mr tpretender knows what hes talking bout....mx and airbags, seat belts, and dwi are 2 different subjects my friend

YAY THX TO THIS RULE MY 4 WHEELER WILL SOUND LIKE A GOLF CART...WOOT...i will now be able to go out to the local golf course and play a round with my 4 wheeler haulin me...yay! :mad:

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:27 PM
dude imo if your gonna take away our loud exhaust....why not have honda, yamaha, polaris, suzuki, and kawisucki fab seat belts up to our quads...to keep us safe...o yea....and have the companys fab up air bags that go on your steering stem when you crash your bags deploy....

come on that kid reminds me of the 1 that reads the owners manuel, studies the warning label on the plastics and fallows them....i.e. never carrie passengers...tell me please who has not doubled some 1 on their quad....or dont ride on public highways....im sure every body has done that a few times in their life...rules are made to be broken...and if ama sets that rule...i guess me and alot of people gonna break that rule, or either not race 1 or the other...

sorry for the long post's....but jus voicing my opinion

01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
dude imo if your gonna take away our loud exhaust....why not have honda, yamaha, polaris, suzuki, and kawisucki fab seat belts up to our quads...to keep us safe...o yea....and have the companys fab up air bags that go on your steering stem when you crash your bags deploy....

LOL...dude i agree the loudness hypes the croud and it helps keep everyone on their feet wanting more...just imagine if drag races and monster trucks had no sound at all and they sounded like a little golf cart...would u really still want to see that? no i didnt think so...the ama and atva should think about this cuz i along with tcracin440ex think this is some bs

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:37 PM
dude truck races, drag races, and any races will be suck arse with out loudness....imagine....going to a nascar race...they are loud as fugg...and only hearing a lil bit of motor and them some vrm vrm....i kno i wouldnt want to watch that junk...id go to the ticket booth and ask for a refund...

coryatver
01-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah i went to watch a race in bristol, tn and the whole valley shakes. Its awesome.

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:49 PM
yes it is awsome...nothing is like the rumble of a v8 with a high lift cam

01-18-2004, 08:51 PM
yes it is awsome...nothing is like the rumble of a v8 with a high lift cam

aint that the truth :D :devil:

Pappy
01-18-2004, 08:54 PM
like it or not noise restrictions are here....and they arent going away.

at the gncc banquet they explained that the atva and ama have set 99db limit however they will enforce a 106 limit (could be 104 i was drinking)

the reasoning behind it is the fact that certain races are held closer and closer to towns and cities and complaint #1 is noise.

i dont know if i fully agree with it...i mean its racing for pete's sake not 4 hill billy's in a field doing donuts.

so whine and cry but it aint stopping the rules from coming and being enforced. try turning some of your energy into a nicely written letter to the ama and atva and protest thier rulings instead of bashing other atv enthusiests.

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 08:59 PM
roflmao @ 4 hill billy's in a feild doing donuts.....

dude only people i feel sorry for is the church near birch creek its right next door to birch creek motorsports...and i bet during nationals only thing the congrigation hears is....brapppp brappp.....and the buzz of 2 strokes.....the preach proally has to get a set of concert speakers..

01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
like it or not noise restrictions are here....and they arent going away.

at the gncc banquet they explained that the atva and ama have set 99db limit however they will enforce a 106 limit (could be 104 i was drinking)

the reasoning behind it is the fact that certain races are held closer and closer to towns and cities and complaint #1 is noise.

i dont know if i fully agree with it...i mean its racing for pete's sake not 4 hill billy's in a field doing donuts.

so whine and cry but it aint stopping the rules from coming and being enforced. try turning some of your energy into a nicely written letter to the ama and atva and protest thier rulings instead of bashing other atv enthusiests.

hrmm 106 db limit...thank god...i can still get in then...and well put pappy :D ...i still dont like it tho...racing is always loud...it just doesnt feel right for it to not be...and y enforce it on 4 wheelers when there are things much louder...uh oh guys we better put db limits on NASA rockets cuz those are just too loud and i mean i live right by it...please...give me a break...if u dont like it then move :devil:

Pappy
01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
well i can understand what they are trying to do. what i dont understand is that its closed course racing. we will never get what we all want....thats just life

Dunlap
01-18-2004, 09:06 PM
You can send all the letters you want to who ever you want but it won't change anything. I like the idea and the challenge of making more power then the next guy. I have been testing LTE pipes against are full race White Brothers on are 470 YFZ and we can run just as good at 96 DB's.

01-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
You can send all the letters you want to who ever you want but it won't change anything. I like the idea and the challenge of making more power then the next guy. I have been testing LTE pipes against are full race White Brothers on are 470 YFZ and we can run just as good at 96 DB's.

ya but common mickey...dont u jus love the sound of a loud pipe :devil: ...its just no fun if u cant hear it from a wayz away :D

Bill Fuller
01-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I personnaly don't buy a pipe because it is loud.I'm with Mickey,if you can make a pipe that produces at a lower Db than I'll use it.Sound means nothing to me it's power for me.

Pappy
01-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ya but common mickey...dont u jus love the sound of a loud pipe :devil: ...its just no fun if u cant hear it from a wayz away :D

loud sucks when you are in the pits trying to get info from your rider and you cant hear yourself think:mad:

01-18-2004, 09:18 PM
kinda like this situation...im sure maybe 10-20 complain while all of us racers like the sound of our engine as does the crowd but yet even if we do do something they dont care...and what u just said about that shooting range...is pretty f'in stupid of that person...they did all that testing and he never said 1 word...but then at the end him himself changes the whole thing...i think that isnt right and it should be majority rule...its kinda like our governments branches...1 side such as the legislature cannot over turn something from the executive unless it has the judicials help...it should be like this...majority rule...not some stupid bs where 1 man speaks and that goes

TCracin440ex
01-18-2004, 09:18 PM
sometimes loud is a lil annoying....when your trying to talk and you have to shut your quad off....but in motocross u dont have pit stops

Pappy
01-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
and what u just said about that shooting range...

haha sorry about that...i was answering a pm about this and somehow it went here:p

01-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
loud sucks when you are in the pits trying to get info from your rider and you cant hear yourself think:mad:

ya but i would rether have that then having no sound at all

Dunlap
01-18-2004, 09:20 PM
When I was a child I liked childish things,loud rock,loud pipes and loud bars. Now I'am older and I think and do things different and I like it quieter. My 470's sound good at 96db's and it's still the rush of "POWER" that gets my heart going!

01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
When I was a child I liked childish things,loud rock,loud pipes and loud bars. Now I'am older and I think and do things different and I like it quieter. My 470's sound good at 96db's and it's still the rush of "POWER" that gets my heart going!

ya but think of all the riders...such as me...that are gonna have to PAY to buy a new system because of this rule...i think that is stupid...if they wanna change it how bout they buy me my new system :D

Bill Fuller
01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Put some tape over the exhaust when you go to inspection.Or try repacking the pipe.

01-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Put some tape over the exhaust when you go to inspection.Or try repacking the pipe.

wouldnt the tape be a little obvious tho:p

Evan400ex
01-18-2004, 10:05 PM
If they really push to enforce these "sound restrictions" then I bet all the aftermarket company's will make quiet cores available for all the systems out there for sure. Some already do but alot still don't. I don't really care, as long as they still let us ride with at least some noise I'm happy.:devil:

tprender
01-19-2004, 07:11 AM
You talked about Birch Creek having the church near by. At the national TT that I was at we had to shut down for over an 1 on Sunday morning or the place would have been shut down for good because of noise. And that is a closed course TT race. The companies can make the exhaust have power between 96 and 100. Below that I don't think so.
You can do all of the letter writting that you want, but I don't think that it will do any good. We just lost a track south of St. Louis because the locals got a court order saying that the noise was to much. The national MX track in Wash is having a battle over noise and tring to stay open if you have read about this. From what I have been told that this year will be informational and next year will be the year of start doing the real inforcing of the sound rule. Like I said before it is coming so stop complaning and get ready.

YLW400
01-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Is this going to affect District races as well?? Or just nationals and such???

tprender
01-19-2004, 08:23 AM
I don't think that any district races will do any sound checking. They would have to go out and buy the equipment to check for sound and they will not do that untill told that they have to get it. Just like how any of them check the width of quads, they don't have a spreader bar like they should have.
The more that people talk about it, it might get checked for the year. If it is keep quiet it will not be checked or an issue this year.

YLW400
01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
That is very true, I have not once had my quad checked for a width problem....

12gofast
01-19-2004, 08:53 AM
You guys ranting and raving about wanting a loud pipe are the whole reason these rules are coming into effect.

Your language and attitude are totally ridiculous!
Loud does not = power....in fact with a 4 stroke less back pressure (no baffling, no packing) usually results in less power.

If there is not something done about this noise issue....you can forget about racing, because there will not be a track in existance!

Face it, the population is growing at an enormous rate and houses are being built near riding areas.....to keep these areas open we need to keep the piece and to keep the piece we need to have some respect.

As far as district races....expect it to be enforced at those also....the rules and testing guidlines have been laid out and a Db meter is not very expensive. It is the district tracks and races that are facing the most complaints.

96db is still pretty loud, respect the decision and support the sport....the AMA is covering your arse so you will still have the opportunity to ride.

01-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by 12gofast
You guys ranting and raving about wanting a loud pipe are the whole reason these rules are coming into effect.

YOu should have stated you KIDS....;)

Anywho i guess this means I gotta ditch the cobra pipe...:mad:

simoniz
01-19-2004, 09:10 AM
How do you measure your db's? I've got a Sparks x-6. I want to run some GNCC events this year but I also run TT and MX. I don't won't to rejetting and changing pipes all the time. So does anyone know a round what the db's are for the Sparks pipe?

Dunlap
01-19-2004, 09:20 AM
You can go to Radio Shack and get a Digital Sound Level Meter, Part #33-2055. They retail for about $50. Stand behind your quad holding the meter 20" from your exhaust opening, step to the right or left at a 45 degree angle still pointing the meter towards your exhaust. You will have to rev it to half of what your rpm level is so if you have a 10,000 rpm machine, you will have to hold it steady at 5,000 and that will give you the reading. This year at most races it will be 104 decibles; next year it will be 96.

simoniz
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response MD.

01-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Anywho i guess this means I gotta ditch the cobra pipe...:mad:

LOL...what about your coffee can pipe rico, you could always use that thing :D

A4StrokeGuy
01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Wow, 14 hours later and 4 pages later theres alot of talking here. I can see how the sound can get out of control. I was at red bud for the NAT. and i was standing behind the gates as a 4 stroke class took off, it was so loud it hurt! But through all these pages of info i have yet to see a solution,Mickey stated that he has an exhuast making 96dbs, what type of exhuast is it, where can i buy one! When in doubt i'll thrower the stocker on and beat everyone in stealth mode:eek2:

norcalatver
01-19-2004, 11:33 AM
You can go to Radio Shack and get a Digital Sound Level Meter, Part #33-2055. They retail for about $50. Stand behind your quad holding the meter 20" from your exhaust opening, step to the right or left at a 45 degree angle still pointing the meter towards your exhaust. You will have to rev it to half of what your rpm level is so if you have a 10,000 rpm machine, you will have to hold it steady at 5,000 and that will give you the reading. This year at most races it will be 104 decibles; next year it will be 96.
Hey mickey, I bought a db meter at Radio Shack, but how does a guy know when his quad is at a certain rpm? I've gone to all the local automotive shops and tried to buy a gauge that will clip over the plug wire but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions? Or do you sell something which I don't have to mount to my quad? Also, out here in Ca. we have a 96db rule already. I bought an FMF Q pipe for my wife's slightly modded 400EX (10:1 piston, TC all around cam, re jetted to 152 main), after removing the FMF power core 4 and installing the Q, it lost all bottom end. I get the same effect if I install the factory pipe. I've even tried re-jetting back to stock specs! Do I have to buy yet another pipe which will flow better yet stay under our 96 db limit? We also go to the Oregon Dunes where the limit is 93db. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

simoniz
01-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I talked to the good people at Sparks Racing this morning and they told me that the sparks X-6 brand new is 104db's. They are currently working on a quiet core with minimal horse power lose. Should be avaliable in a month or so. That's what I was told.

01-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by simoniz
I talked to the good people at Sparks Racing this morning and they told me that the sparks X-6 brand new is 104db's. They are currently working on a quiet core with minimal horse power lose. Should be avaliable in a month or so. That's what I was told.

woot thank god

YLW400
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
I don't guess my 8" shorty T-4 is going to meet those requirements..lol Guess it will be time for a new pipe...I wanted a new sound anyway :o

12gofast
01-19-2004, 03:09 PM
The new Moose pipe meets the 96db limit and has nearly the same power gains as some popular brands.... and even showing more torque on the dyno on some applications.

Pipes help a great deal as long as thay are matched with the proper air and fuel mixtures.

crashinmatt
01-19-2004, 07:36 PM
the way i see it guys, y give people more reasons to try to shut us down? i mean if they r talkin of havin a limit, y not try to figure a way to meet these levels? i know i for one would definitely buy a pipe that is quieter even with a slight loss in power. but i quess thats just me.

and sayin drag racin or nascar gets away with loud noise y dont we isnt gonna make things go away. plus i believe those types of events bring in more money to the local businesses, which would have a big word in if places get things their way.

so now if those r the rules, ur gonna have to live by them, or u wont be able to race (if they find u r not abiding by them). these r the times to come, if u dont like them, i say either quit now, ur try to sneek around them.

TCracin440ex
01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
ok...i agree with the limit...BUT....when you got 300 some odd quads at a track....and bout 30 to 40 on the track at the same time...thats gonna equal 1 big loudness....so either way...if they make us ditch our loud pipes...its gonna still have 1 big loud noise...

its like going to a football game...every body there is not loud....but with every 1 screaming in the stands= a big loudness...

so....either way...churches, neighbors, cities, and whatever are still going to have loud noises

IMO

Dunlap
01-19-2004, 08:25 PM
The pipe I was testing was LTE - Looney Tuned Exhaust. It's a dual pipe you saw in last month's Dirt Wheels. You can go to their website and see them on there. They have tapered head pipes and a little bit of megaphone taper for hp along with 2-1/4" cores which is larger than most after-market companies. With having twice the length of muffler, you are able to put the quiet cores in without any loss of power on a built machine. White Brothers is sending me back their new system to test next week. In reality everyone that's saying that there mufflers don't lose any power are only testing them on stock machines and they are not going to be much better than a stock system. When you start building a motor with higher compression, wilder cams, you are going to have a highly efficient exhaust system. So far, Mr. Looney has a good edge on everyone.

As far as a tach, I don't know what the GNCC people are going to use but a Tiny Tach will work just fine and only runs about $60. You simply wrap the lead wire around the spark plug wire and ground the other wire to the frame (or motor) and that's it. Most motorcycle shops can get them through a local distributor.

01-20-2004, 05:50 AM
i would like to see more outlaw races going on. they don t have all the bull chit rules and regulations. if everybody would quit going to the nationals, which i think is soon going to happen, the atva might smarten up a bit and change some rules. the racers are the people who make the sport and if the atva keeps making dumb rules there going to loose the racers. i would go to an outlaw race anyday over an atva race or ama. more money and less rules.

foleyit
01-21-2004, 08:59 PM
This whole db level law sucks. I stopped going to Hungry Valley (Gorman, CA) because of this law because my R4 exceeds the limit. I don't race (yet), but if the general public are the peeps that are complaining. Then they shouldn't live in areas that are reserved for riding. Then they should invoke the same rules for other sporting events like football, tractor pulls, drag racing, and NASCAR racing. I think that they are just a bunch of politicians with nothing better to do. Why don't they spend their time with something more constructive. We are nothing but a bunch of happy, fun-loving enthusiasts that either like to compete in racing, go out for some fun recreational riding, and hang out with each other. Take that away then what do we have. A bunch of angry, upset people.

sorry guys this whole db level and Sierra Club wanting to shut places down just rubs me the wrong way. just my $.02

d-14 rider 27
01-22-2004, 01:28 AM
first frames, now pipes, I can make restrictor plates for any machine if anyone wants them, it'll be the next "fad":rolleyes:

79400ex
01-22-2004, 07:37 PM
I see a problem with enforcing this rule.
1 will be the weather. If there is an overcast sky the sound from your exhaust will be louder. This cause by the sound being unable to leave the area and be reflected back to the meter. For example: one year at lottera lynn they were trying to do sound checks and no one was passing because of the overcast and low ceiling.
2. Uneven i=enfoorcement. Mean one will pass and one will not even though people know the first one is to loud.
3. there is way around the rule to: 1. Stuffing socks in the exhuast and going to tech then removing it after tech.
2. Putting tape over exhoust end.
3. Not reveving high enough.