PDA

View Full Version : My 400 won't start??

greco400
01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
My 400ex is a 2000 Stock. It takes forever to start and then the battery goes dead:( we take the plug out its fouled out ? What should i do My dad won't put nuthing on althought he owns a automotive shop and has 2 top fuel dragsters he still won't but nuthing on my qaud motor wise I don't really know what main jet is in it now but its stock. I was thinking maybe a pipe would clear the fouling up. Maybe a HFM slip on, wb pipe any slip on for now then later on i'll get a header like a powerbomb if any one knows Please let me Know !!

-Greco

greco400
01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Bump ???? need to know fast

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 01:13 PM
you may not get a reply in 10 minutes. :p

first off, get a new plug. the mainjet should not matter since the mainjet controls fuel flow from about 3/4 to full throttle. if you don't want to change the jets around yet, this is what i would try:

put a new plug in. go and pump the throttle 2 or 3 times. hit the start button without giving it any more gas. some people have better luck using the choke and other people have better luck with it off. mine is off and on. if it doesn't fire without it, i turn it on. if you keep pumping the gas when your trying to start it, you probally won't get too far. our carb has an accelerator pump in it and you will probally just foul plugs. good luck

greco400
01-18-2004, 03:12 PM
hey thanx for reply i put a new plug in it and tried everything and it bogs in 3 4 5 th gear i think if i geta pipe it would solve the rich ness but i can get a deal on a hfm or fmf tituime 4 pipe but isthe fmf good i don't know what size the jet is in and needed????

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by greco400
hey thanx for reply i put a new plug in it and tried everything and it bogs in 3 4 5 th gear i think if i geta pipe it would solve the rich ness but i can get a deal on a hfm or fmf tituime 4 pipe but isthe fmf good i don't know what size the jet is in and needed????

we need to explain how the jetting works so you fully understand what is happening. the pilot jet and fuel skrew should not have anything to do with how the bike bogs when your on the gas in the higher gears. the fuel skrew is a fine tune adjustment for the pilot jet. these jets control fuel at idle. the needle clip and taper of the needle control the fuel from about 1/8 to 3/4 throttle. when your lean in this range, you could probally solve the problem by moving the clip on the needle down one position. from 3/4 to full throttle, your mainjet is being used.

if your bike is all stock, i assume you have stock jetting. however, some add ons like aftermarket tires or larger tires can slow you down a decent amount. i found this out really quick. out of the two pipes you suggested, i would get the hmf. you will need to rejet with either pipe. your elevation, temperature, other mods, etc will all affect what jets you need to run.
make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly. if you have a lot of slack in the throttle, your hurting your power. make sure there is less than 1/4 of an inch of play. i usually set mine alittle less than that. you can adjust it where the cable goes into the housing on the handlebars.
let us know if you have other questions.

cal

Bill Fuller
01-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Buying a pipe to solve jetting problems:rolleyes: Get a manual if your dad won't help you and try changing the jets.It sounds to me like your running rich.No need to spend $400 to solve a $10 problem.