PDA

View Full Version : I hate breaking chains!

roostin_dale
01-17-2004, 10:12 PM
I took the cannondale out for a ride a couple days ago....i was going through the whoops and the chain snaped right off. Toor the chain guard right off the mounts(breaking the mount off of it), pulled the screws out(stripping the inside of it), and broke the hydro. clutch cover right off the bolts:mad:

Just little things like this that screw up your day...i'm going to give sidewinder a call and let them hear about this!

this eve happen to you guys??

416exmx
01-17-2004, 10:15 PM
one time i had a flat tire

Glamis400ex
01-17-2004, 10:16 PM
That sux bro. I'm sure the 1st thing they'll ask is how tight was it when i busted.

Glamis

roostin_dale
01-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx

haha...yea that happens too

Ryan
01-17-2004, 10:17 PM

Me too :eek2:

LTandRaptorider
01-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Yep, case saver mounts are missing on both my Raptor and LT. :(

I had Sidewinder chain and sprockets on my LT once. While the setup was nice, I did'nt think it was worth the money. I now run DID X-ring on the LT, and I think it's held up better than the sidewinder... and much cheaper! ;)

416exmx
01-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Yep, case saver mounts are missing on both my Raptor and LT. :(

I had Sidewinder chain and sprockets on my LT once. While the setup was nice, I did'nt think it was worth the money. I now run DID X-ring on the LT, and I think it's held up better than the sidewinder... and much cheaper! ;)

man, and i just bought a sidewinder for the CRF...

roostin_dale
01-17-2004, 10:22 PM
man, and i just bought a sidewinder for the CRF...

return it for a DID...thats what ive been runing on my 250x too and it seems to get the job done!

flyin#5
01-17-2004, 10:26 PM
DID x-ring.... enough said. :)

01-17-2004, 11:35 PM
xring really isnt even necessary...o-ring is just as good....regular o-ring chains are fine....sidewinders ARE NOT worth their money...i have rarely heard good things aboyut them & usually the good things are being said by stupid people who are to embaressed to say they wasted $300 on their sidewinder setup :mad:

muff
01-18-2004, 07:27 AM
yea breaking chains sux...i've broken one on my 300 and 400ex, broke apart the casing both times...cept on the 300ex it broke the middle piece of casing :eek2: that wasnt fun replacing

I have 50% off sidewinder chain/sprocket set, I'll give it some good test rides and see how it holds

i havent had any problems with the DID x-ring chains i've been running :cool:

LTandRaptorider
01-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
xring really isnt even necessary...o-ring is just as good....regular o-ring chains are fine....sidewinders ARE NOT worth their money...i have rarely heard good things aboyut them & usually the good things are being said by stupid people who are to embaressed to say they wasted $300 on their sidewinder setup :mad:

The X-ring is supposed to have better sealing properties than the o-ring... not sure if this is true or not. I think the ATV x-ring has more tensile strength. The most important thing is to maintain the chain. Clean it after every ride. I don't even use chain lube any more. I hit the chain lightly with the pressure washer, then clean it with wd-40 and a nylon brush. The wd-40 will displace the water to prevent rust. I was worried at first the wd-40 may have an adverse affect on the seals, but I've had the same chain for over a year now, with very littel stretching... and that's good for a 2-stroke! I see the chain lube on o-rings as a waste, it's more to prevent rust on the plates as the lube is inside the rollers, sealed by the o-rings. Now if you don't clean the chain regularly, then chain lube/wax is a good idea to prevent corosion. And of course check the condition of your sprockets. ;)

just my .02 cents for the day... I'll shaddup now! :D

TRX250R22
01-18-2004, 08:53 AM
I took the cannondale out for a ride a couple days ago....i was going through the whoops and the chain snaped right off. Toor the chain guard right off the mounts(breaking the mount off of it), pulled the screws out(stripping the inside of it), and broke the hydro. clutch cover right off the bolts

Just little things like this that screw up your day...i'm going to give sidewinder a call and let them hear about this!

this eve happen to you guys??

----------------------------------------------------

Hey man, same thing happened to me this summer on my R. I hade to get a whole new case cover......and i hade to J-B weld crap back on haha it was a mess. Oil was pissing out of it like crazy i was sad

sweet300ex
01-18-2004, 09:39 AM
I feel your pain man

dirtmomma
01-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Oh me too!!! I was having chain tightening issues yesterday @ paractice :grr: we would loosen it, I'd sit on it & the kid would tighten it then when I would get back off it would go so TIght you couldn't even push the quad:confused: :grr: think we're gonna have to tear into stuff & see if something is outta whack or what, I swear the guy we got it from, we have had to fix everything he supposedly "FIXED" It didn't break but I know it wasn't good to run w/ it like that, when I sat on it it would loosen up though wierd chnit!!

Out_Sider
01-18-2004, 09:59 AM
my chain broke on me yesterday at tha track :cuss:

muff
01-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Oh me too!!! I was having chain tightening issues yesterday @ paractice :grr: we would loosen it, I'd sit on it & the kid would tighten it then when I would get back off it would go so TIght you couldn't even push the quad:confused: :grr: think we're gonna have to tear into stuff & see if something is outta whack or what, I swear the guy we got it from, we have had to fix everything he supposedly "FIXED" It didn't break but I know it wasn't good to run w/ it like that, when I sat on it it would loosen up though wierd chnit!!

is this on a 300ex? because it is a no-link swingarm the chain tension changes throughout the travel, try adjusting the chain without you sitting on it

01-18-2004, 12:09 PM
yah..i always adjust my chain on my 400 without me sitting on it but leave it just a little bit loose

TRX250R22
01-18-2004, 02:29 PM
man i feel all your guy's pain haha, chains suck @ss lets go SHAFT DRIVE:cool: haha jk guys

dirtmomma
01-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by muff
is this on a 300ex? because it is a no-link swingarm the chain tension changes throughout the travel, try adjusting the chain without you sitting on it

Yeah Thanks I did that(not sitting on it) this morning & it seems to be working alright now, we'll see once I get on the track but I think it's all good now!;)