PDA

View Full Version : jetting a carb(already done a search)

nastynotchback1
01-17-2004, 04:11 PM
i wont to go back to stock brand jets and ditch the dyno jet.i am at 350 ft sea level at about 60 degrees.mods are in my sig but i am adding a stage 1 hotcam at the moment.what is a good start.155? thanks in advance

Doibugu2
01-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Rico runs a 146 and he is a little higher elevation and has similar mods. I think 155 DJ would be a little fat.

Stick with what you have now and see how it runs. It only takes 2 minutes to swap. Worst case is you should be a little lean.

01-17-2004, 04:26 PM
i would start at a 150 keihn jet...and work up...i would say you should be around 158 or so when done

cals400ex
01-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Rico runs a 146 and he is a little higher elevation and has similar mods. I think 155 DJ would be a little fat.

Stick with what you have now and see how it runs. It only takes 2 minutes to swap. Worst case is you should be a little lean.

i think he is wanting to switch from the dynojets back to keihin jets.

yes, i think a 155 to 158 should be good. i assume your running your airbox lid on.

nastynotchback1
01-17-2004, 09:18 PM
i have the airbox lid off and i am running a dj 170 now(without the cam) and it pops like it is lean already.i know for a fact it is lean.i dont like the dynojet kit.yes i do want to go back to keihin jets

01-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
i have the airbox lid off and i am running a dj 170 now(without the cam) and it pops like it is lean already.i know for a fact it is lean.i dont like the dynojet kit.yes i do want to go back to keihin jets

i would say a 178 keihn and work up in that case...im pretty sure the dj is a larger jet...i would start on a 175 or 178 keihn and go up

cals400ex
01-17-2004, 11:38 PM
for the stock carb, i would run a 160, 162 or 165 at the very largest in 60 degree weather with no airbox lid.

01-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
for the stock carb, i would run a 160, 162 or 165 at the very largest in 60 degree weather with no airbox lid.

he is already running a 170 dj tho...so he would need at least a 170 keihn...because the dj is larger if i am correct

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
he is already running a 170 dj tho...so he would need at least a 170 keihn...because the dj is larger if i am correct

yes but how does he know that is the right jet now or that it is lean on the mainjet now?? i would put money on your fuel skrew/pilot jet being lean. if not that, it could even be your needle clip position. if it is backfiring when you totally let off of the gas, its your fuel skrew/pilot jet. on a built motor with a good pipe, it may be possible that you do have a little popping going on. i run a 42 pilot jet on my bike with 2 turns out on the fuel skrew and i get a great plug color at idle. however, it does pop a little bit when i let off of the gas completely. my headers aren't glowing at idle so if i am lean, its barely. i think the popping has to do with my higher compression piston and x-6 pipe. yes, i can make the bike quit popping almost completely by turning the fuel skrew out some but the plug shows a rich setting at idle. also, i get an irratic idle and it doesn't have the quick throttle response. good luck

01-18-2004, 12:14 AM
ya i guess u could be correct...i thought he said it was lean already but i looked and he just said it backfired...so ya i agree with u :D

nastynotchback1
01-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
if it is backfiring when you totally let off of the gas, its your fuel skrew/pilot jet. on a built motor with a good pipe, it may be possible that you do have a little popping going on.

that's it.you described what it is doing to a tee.when you let off completly from a high rpm's it pops slightley.i will turn out the screw and see what that does for it.i am running a 40 pilot so i should go up to a 42?.thanks for all the info guys.this has been very helpful.

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
that's it.you described what it is doing to a tee.when you let off completly from a high rpm's it pops slightley.i will turn out the screw and see what that does for it.i am running a 40 pilot so i should go up to a 42?.thanks for all the info guys.this has been very helpful.

i have my fuel skrew set so it actually does pop when i completely let off of the gas. i am getting a good plug reading and my headers aren't glowing. with my stage 2 cam, the bike has an irratic idle if i richen up the fuel skrew anymore.

i would just leave the 40 pilot in. you may just need to be at 2.5 or 3 turns out from lightly seated on the fuel skrew. see what that does and let us know.