PDA

View Full Version : What would the best shocks be for freestyle?

hunda400ex
01-17-2004, 03:22 PM
i have stock length a arms and everything is stock and we got a ramp being built that is 8 feet tall and i need some shocks. I can only afford shock what would the best freestyle shocks be, als owhat is the difference between dual rate and tripple rate?

Juggalo
01-17-2004, 05:15 PM
if you don't know the difference between triple rates and double rates do you really think you should be jumping an 8 foot high ramp? too answer your question tho, you can go wrong with pep, axis, TC, elka, or ohlins. i run works and jump a rev 3 and they work just fine. a double rate shock has 2 springs, one is softer than the other. when you go over a small bump that one compresses, when you go over a big one the harder one compresses. this makes your suspension soft enough for small stuff but still enough for big stuff. triple rate is the same only its got a soft, medium, and hard spring. what is this 8 foot tall ramp made out of by the way?

hunda400ex
01-17-2004, 09:15 PM
it is made out of steel. Dont worry i dont know much about shocks but i do know how to jump. The reason i know nuthing about shocks is because i have never ever looked into them. I never thought i would have the $ to get some shocks. I think im gonna go with works triple rates though. Are they a lot mr stiff than stock?

Juggalo
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
i run works triples with cans. their not nescisarily stiffer than stock but they resist bottoming out waaaay better. oh man they are so much nicer than stock its unbelieveable. i've hit many 70+ gaps with my works and their holdin up fine so you should love em

Nausty
01-17-2004, 10:50 PM
basically the best is long travel but you have to have new shocks and a-arms and it is pretty pricy.

Then you have standard travel which will work on your stock a-arms and are probably all you'll need. Best companies are axis, tcs, pep, and elka imo.

You can get w/ rezzies and w/ out. Get w/ rezzies for sure if price is a issue go w/ double rate, just make sure you have the rezzies.

Narly R
01-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
You can get w/ rezzies and w/ out. Get w/ rezzies for sure if price is a issue go w/ double rate, just make sure you have the rezzies.

I saw go with Elka Tripple rates. But it seems like price is an issue, and Juggalo says his are great. Its all in how you get them vaulved, and how you set them. I have heard TCS are a good freestyle shock too, I dunno though. Get some pics of this RAMP!:D

hunda400ex
01-18-2004, 06:56 AM
yeah this guy in town works at an awning manufacturing place and he has acces to the shop an all the welders whe nit isnt business hours so i am going to get a quote from him for a ramp and a quote from my nieghbor who has a machine shop. This guy at teh awning place has built many ramps in the past but they are al aluminum so im thinkin they will be big bucks. I cant wait though for summer. IM right in the middle of my small winter project wit hmy 400. The frame and a arms are gettin powder coated and i got 10 inch t9 wheels all the way around new plastics graphics kit, im gonna get shocks and exhaust and oh yeah i fogot i got a powroll 416 kit for it:)