PDA

View Full Version : engine is smoking alot(300ex)

thursday
01-17-2004, 12:54 PM
ok, here the deal my engine is smoking very very bad all the gaskets are new so that cant be the problem. i mean there is literly smoke coming from every angle of my engine also the exhuast is getting really hot its making the beging of the header turn brown i made the jetting richer from 135 to a 140 i told that could be the problem but it turns out its not i was also told that it could be just from the cold weather or my air screw on the carb is adjusting wrong whatever it is please help

thanks alot

also there is a very wierd smell coming the engine whenever i start it

Scott-300ex
01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
first, make sure there isn't water on it, because cold water and hot engines will cause smoke

second, smoke from your exhaust could be it being rich or you need new valve seals, or you have a hole in your piston or you need new rings, your case would say your running rich or you need a new piston or rings

fastexgirl4c
01-28-2004, 11:19 AM
my 300ex did that ..i needed a new head gasket, new valves..but for the smell..change ur gas and change the oil..and check ur oil filter

Evan400ex
01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I remember my old 250x did that. We asked the guy we bought it from why it was smoking so bad and he said it just needed new valve seals. So I didn't really think anything of it, I didn't have any extra $$$ at the time so I continued to ride it. Well, the second time I rode it the engine locked up completly. Took it to my local Honda dealer and it was going to cost over $1500 in repairs. It turned out that my oil pump quit and burnt up all my internals. I remember looking at the cylinder they had taken off and it looked like it had been sitting in a fire overnight.

So before you ride it anymore I would get your smoking problem fixed. You never know what could really be wrong with it.:rolleyes: