PDA

View Full Version : HELP NOW PLEASE!!!! jetting

speedy400
01-17-2004, 10:37 AM
hey, I can't get my jetting to go fat enough, I've been working on it for about a week now! I have ice drags tmorrow that I'd really like to go to. Anyways, Everthing except the main jet is perfect.
3 1/2 turns out on the screw
dynojet needle 3rd clip on needle
48 pilot(a little rich right now)

In the summer it ran great with a 170 dynoget main in. Now the plug still says its running light grayish with a 190 dynojet main in..:huh
I adjusted the valves yesterday to make sure it didnt have anything to do with it(it dosnt). and I checked all the intake boots and seals on the intake, and I'm near positive the exhaust is sealed..... ????? what could be my problem????? thanks-darren

speedy400
01-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Well I tried 200 dynomain jet, the plug is saying its exactly the same as it was when I had a 175 in....BTW I've been doing these plug chops with the same spark plug, I know its wont give me a right on color because I use it over but it'd tell me if I'm running fat right?thanks....would it have anything to do with me having motor mods and stocker carb??thanks-darren

speedy400
01-17-2004, 11:40 AM
..any ideas would be greatly appretiated... btw my elevation is 300feet and its about 16 degrees out-darren

cals400ex
01-17-2004, 12:38 PM
i say your too big. i don't know the dynojet #'s too well but from what i hear a 170 would be plenty big even with your built bike. my plug actually has a grayish color to it when i feel it is dialed in correctly for best power. i would take the bike out with a 170 main in it and then with a 200 main in. i imagine you will notice a nice power increase with the 170 in especially in the last couple gears. for the pilot, i bet your way rich. with those temperatures i bet you only need a 42 pilot jet at about 3 turns out at the most. i am at 2 turns out in 30 degree weather with my built motor. however, i run the airbox lid on. i would make sure the carb clamps are on tight and also the boot that connects the carb to head. there are 3, eight millimeter bolts that hold that piece on.

speedy400
01-17-2004, 12:56 PM
but my problem is the plug is always saying I'm lean, no matter what size main jet. I dont wanna melt the piston down:( thanks for the reply-darren
-edited

cals400ex
01-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
but my problem is the plug is always saying I'm lean, no matter what size main jet. I dont wanna melt the piston down:( thanks for the reply-darren
-edited

i would say that without an air leak, then maybe your just not getting a good reading from the brand of fuel your using. have you ever done a plug chop before to see what it looked like with other fuel? i am out of suggestions. :confused:

speedy400
01-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i would say that without an air leak, then maybe your just not getting a good reading from the brand of fuel your using. have you ever done a plug chop before to see what it looked like with other fuel? i am out of suggestions. :confused:
yes, I'm looking at the plug right now, I did a plug chop for the midrange, its perfect, cardboard brown. I have the carb apart right now also, anything I should check for?....thanks Very much though.-darren

mustang93
01-17-2004, 02:41 PM
If you contact dyno jet they will tell you the same they told me " with the new additives the petrolium companys are using the old plug check methoulds (looking for a color) are very unaccurate the only correct way to realy jet is by using an exhaust gass anilizer. I would just use the 170 that you were using. if it was't poping and pipes wern't glowing you should be fine. the 170 is what I use and it seems fine, my location is Connecticut if that helps I think our ellivations and temps are close. If you want to talk to dynojet there # is (800) 992-4993 they helped me out.