PDA

View Full Version : ? about a 42 pilot jet

pa_countryboy
01-17-2004, 07:56 AM
I have a dead spot on the lower rpms of my 400 its pretty much stock no silencer or aftermarket air filter. Do you guys think a 42 pilot would be to rich for it.
Thanks
Scott

pa_countryboy
01-18-2004, 10:59 AM
anyone ??????

01-18-2004, 11:03 AM
the stock piolet is a little lean as is...so i dont see why you couldnt run a 40 or 42 piolet jet right now

Taco
01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
i think a 40 would be a lil better but try em both if ya like.

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 01:22 PM
i assume your running the stock airbox lid on?

your needle may be a little lean in the colder months too. before buying a new pilot, i would probaly turn the fuel skrew out 3 turns from lightly seated. now, you only want to turn the fuel skrew out or get a larger pilot if you know your lean at idle.

powerslider
01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
I run a 42 pilot with everything else stock, it eliminates the cold bloodedness/hesitating that it had with the stock 38 pilot. Try it.....

01-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i assume your running the stock airbox lid on?

your needle may be a little lean in the colder months too. before buying a new pilot, i would probaly turn the fuel skrew out 3 turns from lightly seated. now, you only want to turn the fuel skrew out or get a larger pilot if you know your lean at idle.

cals400ex...jetting expert;) :D

cals400ex
01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
cals400ex...jetting expert;) :D

i wish i was the expert. :D

i have had jetting problems ever since i put in my stage 2 cam. the leaner i run my fuel skrew the better it idles. if i richen it up, it will die at idle or right when i blip the throttle. however, when i lean it out, i get a popping on 100% deceleration. my headers aren't glowing at idle so i know i am not too lean if any on the pilot jet and fuel skrew. i am just coming to the conclusion that the popping is somewhat normal on a built motor with a straight through pipe. i really don't know though. right now i am using a 42 pilot at 2 turns out on the skrew with my airbox lid on. who knows. by the way, i can't find an airleak or exhaust leak anywhere.

01-18-2004, 08:26 PM
right now i am using a 42 pilot at 2 turns out on the skrew with my airbox lid on. who knows. by the way, i can't find an airleak or exhaust leak anywhere.

mine used to pop all the time...never does it now...what all is done to your bike and whats ur elevation...i can help you somewhat but i have never used my lid so that may be a little of a problem

pa_countryboy
01-19-2004, 10:50 AM
cool thanks guys

cals400ex
01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
mine used to pop all the time...never does it now...what all is done to your bike and whats ur elevation...i can help you somewhat but i have never used my lid so that may be a little of a problem

10.8:1 piston, thinner headgaskets, stage 2, uni filter, x-6, etc. it acts weirder on the warmer days. it does it with the lid on or off. it only does it when i am less than 1/4 throttle. i am running a 160 keihin main, clip on 4th position on stock needle, 42 pilot, 2 turns out on fuel skrew. it idles worse the richer i become on the fuel skrew but it doesn't pop on deceleration if i go richer on the fuel skrew. who knows, it runs good. headers don't glow at idle or at 1/2 throttle either.

01-19-2004, 12:54 PM
10.8:1 piston, thinner headgaskets, stage 2, uni filter, x-6, etc. it acts weirder on the warmer days. it does it with the lid on or off. it only does it when i am less than 1/4 throttle. i am running a 160 keihin main, clip on 4th position on stock needle, 42 pilot, 2 turns out on fuel skrew. it idles worse the richer i become on the fuel skrew but it doesn't pop on deceleration if i go richer on the fuel skrew. who knows, it runs good. headers don't glow at idle or at 1/2 throttle either.

what elevation