PDA

View Full Version : Want some new areas to Ride?

biohazard1.2
01-17-2004, 04:55 AM
You have to get involved, you, your family, everyone who owns an OHV (off highway vehicle) can benefit from this.

Write your congressman, rep, county govt, state, governor....etc.

Who is my U.S. Representative:
http://www.house.gov/

Who are my U.S. Senators:
http://www.senate.gov/

example of letter some spelling issues...but you get the gist.

Honorable Sir,

There is great concern in Florida about the lack of and possible loss of existing off-roading trails. Presently, the only state land made available to the 23,000 new atvers (based on 2003 sales figures) and off-road motorcycle enthusiasts each year...and the 1,500,000+ already active in the sport in our state is Croom, Withlacoochee State Forest. It is extremely congested and becoming more dangerous to ride. The sad thing about Croom is the Florida State Parks Department considers it a cash cow and utilizes the funds from the park to maintain other parks. Each dirt bike or ATV is charged $50.00 per year to use Croom. Croom is over utilized and becoming dangerously congested. Additionally, the State is now requiring dirt bikes and ATVs to be registered, another $35.00. We are being increasingly taxed for decreasing places to ride. It is a major concern... having safe places to ride and enjoy our rapidly growing sport.

There is one more public place to ride in the state but rumors are flying of possible changes restricting dirt bike or ATV users, Ocala National Forest(ONF). ONF is a fantistic place to ride and has many types of trials, unfortunately, there is only one ONF and much of it is restricted from off-highway vehicle (OHV) use. My wife and I visited there last month, during hunting season, and found out it is not a terribly friendly place to us (off-road enthusiasts). I will relay some examples of the harsh and illegal treatment that we, your loyal constituents, endure at Ocala National Forest, a multi use area. During hunting season, the forest is heavily utilized by hunters with their dogs, rifles, shotguns and...alcoholic beverages. While riding there last month, on two separate occasions during the day, hunters pointed their weapons at my wife and I as we rode a trail that passed approx 100yds from hunters sitting in trucks. When we relayed this complaint to the Ranger, he basically told me I must be mistaken as these hunters "all live around here and he knows most of them", but, he would keep an eye out. This did not make me, a loyal tax-paying citizen, feel welcome in one of our National Forests.
To further the miserable treatment, my wife and were semi-lost (ONF is huge...but has very limited riding areas)and we were following the side of a forest road trying to find our way back to the truck. When we saw a forest ranger heading down the road our way, we thought "GREAT!", he can tell us the way back...we got a ticket and rude treatment instead...for riding on the side of numbered forest road.
Sir, I do not bring this to your attention to point to the biased behavior of the rangers, but rather to point out the lack of places for the 1,500,000+ off roaders in Florida to ride on. Every year, more and more off-road vehicles are sold to and used by families such as mine. This is a huge tax base for the state, and continues to help our national economy. But, without adequate and accessible places to ride, this market will surely falter and many families will be without a wholesome, All-American way to recreate.

I have been an avid off-roader since I was 5, when my father bought me a minibike for Christmas in 1972. I am now 36, and have enjoyed the friendships and relationships brought to me by off-roading for 31 years.

Respectfully,