PDA

View Full Version : Getting motor work done

quadrider81
01-16-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm looking into getting some motor work done on my 400ex.

Is that something your local honda dealer does or do I send it somewhere?

Or could I buy a kit and do it myself? (I would like to get it bored out though)

Bored, about a 11 to 1 piston, cam, and possibly some head work

Thanks for your help :cool:

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 07:01 AM
If you want it done local I would go to a race and ask around and see who does there motor work.

I guess i'm pretty lucky I have a local guy that does pretty good work but GtThunder FDO Baldwin and Pro Fab are all in reasonable driving distance if I had someone else do it.

RED121572
01-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Ive done the motor work myself, for the exception of the machine work. I get the local machine shop here in town to do it. They charge me next to nothing for a bore and to glass bead the outside of the cylinder. I asked them last year to port the head. They wouldnt do it.

From all his reasons he told me that he would not do it, I would personally send the head to a "specialty" shop that has been porting those types of heads for years.

01-17-2004, 09:49 AM
DONT DO IT LOCALLY...get the pros to do it like sparks, lrd, or someone who knows what they are doing instead of someone who has maybe done 2 or 3 jobs

bradley300
01-17-2004, 09:51 AM
send it to gthunder. hes the cheapest you'll find, and do a search on hear, no one has anything but good things to say about him

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
DONT DO IT LOCALLY...get the pros to do it like sparks, lrd, or someone who knows what they are doing instead of someone who has maybe done 2 or 3 jobs

There are some people around in local area's that are more than capable of doing the work but I agree with you on not letting someone that has only done 2 or 3 jobs.

01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
There are some people around in local area's that are more than capable of doing the work but I agree with you on not letting someone that has only done 2 or 3 jobs.

yes...i did that...and u can only guess what happened :( ...but sparks got me setup now so im back on the road :D

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
yes...i did that...and u can only guess what happened :( ...but sparks got me setup now so im back on the road :D

Good glad they got you going.
I was just trying to say there are some guys local like mine that do great work and are pretty reasonable. And have a bunch of experience doing it.

01-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Good glad they got you going.
I was just trying to say there are some guys local like mine that do great work and are pretty reasonable. And have a bunch of experience doing it.

ya if they are experianced and do good work and you have some people who got good work from them...i would say go for it:D

RED121572
01-17-2004, 12:23 PM
I personally dont see the big deal in letting your local machine shop bore out the cylinder or even resleeving the jug. Thats what they do to automobile engines all day long.

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
I personally dont see the big deal in letting your local machine shop bore out the cylinder or even resleeving the jug. Thats what they do to automobile engines all day long.

Your from the mansfield area right? Who do you have do your machine work? I saw you get parts from McCunes on your website?

RED121572
01-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Hey Fulk,

Oh yea, I forgot I had a website. Im glad someone still looks at it. lol One day I should either update it or delete it, anyway.....

The machine shop here in Mansfield is called.."Ohio Machine and Repair." Its real close to the intersection of Trimble and 4th streets......near the football stadium. There shop is kinda tucked away on a side street. The only reason I found out about em cause they rebuilt the heads on my ole corvette.

There number is 419-529-3004.

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
Hey Fulk,

Oh yea, I forgot I had a website. Im glad someone still looks at it. lol One day I should either update it or delete it, anyway.....

The machine shop here in Mansfield is called.."Ohio Machine and Repair." Its real close to the intersection of Trimble and 4th streets......near the football stadium. There shop is kinda tucked away on a side street. The only reason I found out about em cause they rebuilt the heads on my ole corvette.

There number is 419-529-3004.

I figured thats where you took it. Dave Hopper (does my motors) take most of his stuff to get machined by Chris Thomas. Don't know if you know either one of them. If you want I can give you Daves number its hard to beat his prices on parts. He has a shop in the old westinghouse plant on 5th st by the corner of newman.

RED121572
01-17-2004, 01:20 PM
I know Dave Hopper. I used to get race gas from him. Hes a good guy. Sometimes I think hes got more partz than the dealers.

K_Fulk
01-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah he has a lot of stuff. One day I asked how many quads he had and he didnt have any idea.

RED121572
01-17-2004, 02:42 PM
I get most of my parts and pieces from MCcunes. The guys behind the parts desk arent really my favorite people to deal with, but I get a 15% discount on anything. The guy that works in the back, Weiss, hes done me a few favors and seems like a good guy.

quadrider81
01-17-2004, 06:48 PM
thanks 4 the help fellas :D