PDA

View Full Version : help with Polaris

quadfamily
02-22-2002, 10:37 AM
My neighbor has a Scrambler 500 and he just got his kid a Scrambler 90 two days ago. The 500 is a four stroke and it's got lots of power. The 90 is a 2 stroke and it seems pretty peppy too. It may even beat my sons TRX90? Not sure yet, he still has the throttle limiter on it until he's totally used to it. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could give me some links for some good Polaris sites and maybe some shops that specialize in Polaris hop ups. Thanks alot guys!

Scott
02-22-2002, 11:07 AM
The only "hopped up" Polaris I know anything about came from the Polaris dealership in Sydney Ohio. That might be a place for you to check. And it just happens to be a hopped up 01 Scrambler 500.

Don't get your hopes up too much though, his modded scrambler gets smoked on a regular basis by my 30 yr old butt on a stock 300. He's got a higher top end speed, but as soon as you mix a couple turns and trees into it, he's a memory. But I have been told his quad rides nice and smooth. It has a piggyback shock on the rear. Says fox on it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a fox shock before. Also a pipe and clutch work. Heard high compression piston and cam mentioned, but he really doesn't have a clue what was done to it. Only thing he knows for sure is the pipe, shock, clutch, and Titan 489s on chrome .190s

Bad news is it spontaneously snapped BOTH front axles last time out. Wasn't in 4wd at the time either. Somethin's fishy???

250exer
02-22-2002, 12:49 PM
I know there is a place in Forest Lake, MN ( no wonder since they're made in MN) that specializes in Polaris mods. Don't recall the name, but I believe I saw it in an ATV mag. That's your best bet I think is to look in the rags.

quadfamily
02-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Scott,
This one is the 2001 Scrambler 500 2 wheel drive sport model. It's bone stock and it smokes a 400EX with W/B e-series slip on and jet kit all day. We switched drivers a few times and the results were the same no matter who drove what quad. So, the 4WD model must be substantially different. Anybody else have any info? Thanks!

K400EX&A250EX
02-22-2002, 03:46 PM
There are several companies that make mods for Polaris:

AAEN Performance (no website that I know about)
HPD (www.hpd-inc.com)
Ritter Cycle (www.rittercycle.com)
Hot Seat (www.hotseatperformance.com)

Hope that helps.

RideRed04
02-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Those are all the best polaris hop up shops. The fox shock is primarily used in snowmobiles and offroad racing trucks. It is a very good unit, rebuildible (I think) and has a piggyback resivor. I dont believe a stock scrambler 500 will beat a 400ex, I have raced many polarises (not a 500 2x4), including a clutched 400 4x4, a 4004x4 with a k&n, and a 500 4x4 and it really wasnt even in the same leauge. I have no engine mods whatsoever. If you want and easy to ride trial terror, this is one of the best, only rivaled by the sport 400 (key words: easy to use)

K400EX&A250EX
02-22-2002, 11:04 PM
RideRed04 is right about a stock Scrambler 2x4 not being as fast as a stock 400EX...but they are pretty close in a straight "drag race". Obviously there is no comparison in any kind of race on a tight track. I own a couple of 2001 Scrambler 500s (2x4 and 4x4) and a 400EX...and there are times I enjoy riding each of them. If I'm on a long trail ride with my wife and boys, I must admit I really enjoy the comfort and ease of the Scramblers. At the dunes or out riding with my brothers or friends, however, I always ride my 400EX. Last week at the dunes I rode the Scrambler 2x4 just to see what it would do with the Aaen Slip-on and agressive clutch kit. I was pretty impressed and did fine keeping up with the 250Rs and 400EXs I was riding with...in the bowls anyway. The Scrambler would climb all of the hills just fine too...but not NEARLY as quickly as the other guys.