PDA

View Full Version : back firing in cold

dannyboy20
01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
ok i went to start my quad lastnight and the temp was about 5 degrees. The thing did not want to start for the longest time. Then when i finally got it going and was giving it some revs it backfired a few times. Is this because it was cold or my jetting . I have E-series with 12 disks and 152 main.

01-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy20
ok i went to start my quad lastnight and the temp was about 5 degrees. The thing did not want to start for the longest time. Then when i finally got it going and was giving it some revs it backfired a few times. Is this because it was cold or my jetting . I have E-series with 12 disks and 152 main.

that means u are running a little lean...try going up 1 or 2 jet sizes or adjusting your air screw...also check for leaks and tighten up your exaugst studs if they are loose

2004TRX450R
01-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy20
Is this because it was cold or my jetting . I have E-series with 12 disks and 152 main.

Both. Being it is so cold it makes it run lean. This in turn makes your jetting off. Try turning the fuel screw out 1/2 to 1 turn. That should help. You might need to go up a size on the main and raise the needle a position or so to make it all just right too.

dannyboy20
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
were is the fuel screw located on the carb ?

2004TRX450R
01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
It is centered just in front of the loat bowl pointing straingt down. It is a brass screw and it is kinda up in a hole. You might take a mirror to locate it for the first time so you know what you are looking for. You need a short flat blade screwdriver to get to it unless you want to loosen the carb and twist it sideways.