PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbike V.S ATV for MX racing

lil'redrocket
02-22-2002, 08:59 AM
what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Which is easier? any input appreciated

02-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Dirtbikes are far better for Motocross. For things other than motocross they are a lot closer.

Juggalo
02-22-2002, 06:23 PM
truthfully i can't think of one advantage a quad has over a dirtbike on the track. also a quad is much more expensive to race than a bike and you make less money

330exracer
02-22-2002, 06:33 PM
i can what are quads known for when the wider then all **** turning.

Tommy 17
02-22-2002, 08:38 PM
actaully it all depends on the rider and the track style and conditions... if its all straight up jumps and bumps and ruts and tight have fun on a quad bc ur gonna die....

emiliano22
02-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Some times the quad can stop and turn faster. I think this is the only advantage.

Juggalo
02-23-2002, 12:50 PM
oo ooo i thought of one! a quad gets more traction!

chris29
02-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Quads get faster lap times than the dirtbike guys. Quads can take corners way faster, stop quicker, slide easier, but are much harder to ride than dirtbikes. Dirtbikes can jump higher and land much softer but and go faster but they can't produce the lap times like quads. Quads either tie with them on lap times or are better. It also depends on the track. I saw Joe byrd beat the dirtbike money class one time at a track after they started about 10 sec's before him. They were to the first turn before he even took off, and then he started knocking them off like fly's.

rhino99
02-26-2002, 11:34 AM
I dont know where you are racing, but our quad guys here get spanked by the top dirtbike classes! We have 4 or 5 guys locally that do well in nationals (#5 in the +30 class, #8 in the Open A, #5 in 4-stroke C) and they ride probably with the 250b or 250c classes, the 250a guys just kill them! On our track, the best quad guys cant touch the good dirtbike guys. But get them in the woods, and our quad riders start about 5 minutes after the bike guys and are usually past the majority of htem after the first lap!

Mity Mo
02-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Rhino99 what track do you ride at? And what guys are you taling about?Mo

chris29
02-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Its been posted in magazines like dirtwheels for instance that the pro quads and pro dirtbike guys when the race on the outdoor nationals they race at some of the same tracks and they recored their lap times and the pro quad guys were faster. Im not saying that every quad rider is faster than the dirt bike rider. It just If you put the best quad rider against the best dike bike rider the quad rider has an advantage. I seen quads get their *** whiped to by dirt bike guys at some tracks, and I seen it the other way around. It all depends on the rider and the track.

02-26-2002, 02:19 PM
I would have to say that a majority of the time bikes are faster than quads. I just don't see the top atv guys beating the top bike guys.

chris29
02-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I would put my money on Jeremaih Jones over Ricky Carmical any day!

rhino99
02-26-2002, 04:31 PM
I ride at Lincoln Trail Motorsports in Casey. The quad guys I am referring to are Tanner and Randy Strohm and Sean Wolf, I however was wrong about Seans and Tanners finishes in Nationals, got wrong info. Tanner was 11th in Open A and Sean I am not sure on his finishing in the Fourstroke. Either way, they are all FAST and they cant ride with the bike guys there. But, the track there isnt real tight corners or anything like that for the most part either.

MOOCAZEN
02-26-2002, 05:45 PM
CHRIS29 YOUR WRONG BRO, I THINK YOUR CHECKING OUT WRONG INFO EVERYRACE RESULT IVE SEEN THAT INCLUDES ALL CLASSES MIXED IN SHOW DIRTBIKES FASTER, FROM THE BAJA RACES TO THE MX ONES

Mity Mo
02-26-2002, 06:37 PM
Rhino99 what number do you ride? i have ridden there for 3 years now. I sponsor revn Kevin, Brian Hildebrand, Jimmy Miller, David Nishwitz, Jason moore. They ride there alot too.

rhino99
02-26-2002, 07:09 PM
I havent actually raced there in 2 years, and before that I raced a blue 300ex number 713 on the bike, I was actually supposed to be #42, but started racing about June, so I wasnt too concerned about points. I was supposed to race last year but ended up breaking my ankle before I got the chance and was out all season, hopefully I can make a couple races this year. I ride there a lot through the week just playing around. I ride a Black and metal flake red 250r w/TCS shocks all around, probably with #38 on there if you ever see me stop and say hello!

chris29
02-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Moocazen did you get the lap times of Red Bud mx or Daneil Boone mx?? No you looked up the baja races and found dirkbikes got faster laps. Yeah of course their going to have faster laps in the baja, its wide open with 5th gear pinned. And we all know that dirt bike engines are way faster than Quads. Yes in the baja they are faster. So no your the one who is wrong!! And unless you come up with some comparisons with those two mx tracks I just mentioned Quads are faster or just as good as dirtbikes on a mx track.

Mity Mo
02-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Rhino99 Thats pretty weird. My numbers this year for that district are 173. Kinda cool how the numbers are just rearranged. I will most definitely keep my out for you. Good luck this year. Mo:p

rhino99
02-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Haha, that is pretty weird! Like I said though, those werent my district numbers, just the numbers I liked. I havent been on the track since last March, I heard that they changed it some, like the double doubles before the tunnel jump are now really hard for the quads to jump because they are steeper or something? Any truth to that? I cant wait to get back out there and get to racing. My R is in about a milion pieces getting powdercoated rgiht now, but we should ride together sometime this summer!

Mity Mo
02-26-2002, 11:28 PM
Ditto my quad is doing the same right now. i am taking it to the guy in DuQuoin,IL Bobs I believe is his name. The doubles were built up but not that bad. It just takes a little practice and they are easy. Definitely need to hook up even if its just for some practice. Of course now we have to wait for the DARN SNOW to go away. Mo