PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong with my clutch?

2001400ex
01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
OK, this is the deal...when I first bought my 400, to me it seemed like my clutch was a little "heavy" it takes a preety big amount of power to pull in my clutch lever compared to every other quad or dirtbike that I've ridden. Today I went up to a local snowmobile/quad dealership and they had a Predator there and a DS650 (Have Predators gotten smaller or something? They seem like everything is so jam-packed and squeezed onto it!). I sat on both and pulled in the clutch just to see how everything was and all that. When I pulled in the clutch lever on the Predator I couldn't belive how easy it is to pull in! So I figure, maybe it's something that polaris has since the Predator has some more options then the 400EX. I go over to the DS650 and pull in the clutch on that too, and it's lighter then my 400! I was preety shocked to tell you the truth, I figured that the clutch would be easier to pull in on those quads since the engine is HUGE on both of them...is there something wrong with the internals of my clutch? Or should my cable just be cleaned or what? I really don't know too much about clutches...if someone could help I'd appreciate it. I did a search before I posted this but turned up with no luck.

toby400ex
01-15-2004, 07:37 PM
When was the last time you had a new clutch cable, a year old cable will make any clutch a ***** to pull. If you have a stock clutch lever and perch along with stock clutch springs your clutch pull should be easy as pie.

2001400ex
01-15-2004, 07:40 PM
To be honest with you I'm not sure. I bought mine used in July. The guy that owned the quad before me didn't use it alot I don't think. I'm going to replace the clutch cable and see if that makes a difference. Any more opinions?

Quadfather
01-15-2004, 07:56 PM
try some cable lube first.

2001400ex
01-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks Quadfather I'm going to go down to the shop and pick up some cable lube and a new cable. If that doesn't work I don't know what it is.

400exdad
01-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Use some cable lube. Use the lubing tool to get the lube all the way to the other end of the cable. You'd be amazed the difference it will make. Is the clutch working okay otherwise? The 300ex that we have got hard to pull and wasn't releasing correctly. Ended up being warped steels.

2001400ex
01-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Well...sometimes, and this has been lately I've been noticing that when I am riding hard my quad will throw itself into neutral, I don't know if this is some sort of safety issue Honda made that will prevent you from wrecking your clutch or transmission but I noticed it does that every once in a while. I picked up the cable lube today and I'm going to use it tommorrow. I'll let you guys know if it works. If it doesn't I guess this gives me a chance to tear apart the engine and start a late winter rebuild.:o