PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bent their grab bar?

kaneman23
02-22-2002, 06:43 AM
I let me broinlaw ride my quad about a year ago and he hit a double and landed my quad on the grab bar(he is a big boy). Anyhow, I have never tried to bend it back and I am not sure if I should because it might make it weaker. Has anyone cut it off and welded a new one? I don't think mine is bad enough to have to cut it off, but I would like to bend it down some.
Justin

DTRAIN
02-22-2002, 08:47 AM
I bought my 250x with the grab bar welded after the previous owner had broke it. It lasted about two times of hitting the ground while wheeling and it snapped off. Screw rigging it up and just buy a new one. You wouldn't want it to break off and damage your fender or exhaust. I just ordered the PRM grab bar from www.prm-atv.com and it is pretty nice + much sturdier.

JustRace
02-22-2002, 09:45 AM
I had almost the exact same thing happen to my grab bar at a race track, but instead one of my damn dirt bike riding friends flipped its and bent it fairly for up... 1. Now what I did was take a hack saw and cut off the grab bar. 2. So unless you cut part of the subframe off, the two new holes in the subframe (you now have holes because you cut the crab bar off) should be bent up a little. Take a puch or something and try to get the openings (on the subframe) as round as you can. 3. Take the now cut off crab bar and cut off the bent ends on the bar. 4. Get some 1/2 copper piping. Cut two 6 inch (or longer pieces if you want) pieces out of the piping. 5. Now take a file and file then ends of the copper piping so that it will go in to the subframe and grab bar easier.

It will fit very tight so it won't come back out... And one great thing is that you can make it as long as you want... After I got it done I gave it a shot with some black primer so that it wouldn't rust or anything, and so you couldn't tell that I used copper piping. Hopefully this will help. Or if you want just go buy a aftermarket one.

R-Crazy
02-23-2002, 11:30 PM
get a 6 pack rack. they hold stuff and work as a grab bar

dave