PDA

View Full Version : Throttle wtf?

phireboi
01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I was riding my 99 400ex today and I get like halfway down a trail in my woods and the throttle stuck but i came back closed but it just kept giving it gas and now whenever I start it up its just constantly giving it gas...Anyone know what my problem could be?

poon
01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
What is the temperature in your area?

phireboi
01-15-2004, 09:54 PM
i mean it was kinda brisk today but it was probaly no less then 40 Fahrenheit

cals400ex
01-16-2004, 04:59 PM
i would oil or replace the cable and clean the carb out.

01-16-2004, 10:48 PM
thats super dangerous....try lubing your cablle...if that doesnt work get a new one...then go into your carb

01-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Ur cable mite be frayed causing it to stick. Thats what happened to my bike. Either that or its kinked somewhere?Your best bet is to get a new one before you get hurt because of it like i did. :eek2:

miken
01-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Clean the Carb. Happened to me, dirt particles siezed the slide in the carb at full throttle. A good cleaning fixed it.
Mike -

RideRed250ex
01-21-2004, 06:35 PM
get it cleaned up cables and carb....if not pray your brakes work really good...

phireboi
01-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I got it working had to go into the carb and oil the slider thing that the throttle cable turns and I oiled the throttle housing as well and it works good now :).

Scott-300ex
01-24-2004, 03:07 PM
yeah, i was ganna say oil the slide, cause i rebuilt my grandpa's moped, and i rebuilt the carb, like the 3rd time i rode it, the throttle stuck, so i went into the carb and relized the slide was stuck open, so i pushed it down and used a little wd-40 and now it works great

and if your throttle ever does stick, you don't need to use your brakes, just pull in the clutch, but the motor will rev sky high, so use the kill switch, and if that don't work, put the brakes on and stop and pop the clutch and it will shut up then, unless your in 1st gear then you might flip, so pull the spark plug wire:D

quadmaniac04
02-08-2004, 11:12 AM
i agree you might need a new throttle cable, my buddy had the same probelm and he replaced the cable and was fine

sprtrx300ex
02-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Its important that you get this fixed. I had an unpleasent experiance with my friends go cart when the throttle stuck. It involved jumping out onto pavement and rocks at about 35mph. NOT FUN! Good luck!

ridefastrgetoff
02-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I've got carb cleaner that works wonders on my personal vehicles but I'm wondering about Power Valves that have carbon or varnish buildup on them; in most cases, this is only a problem if petroleum oils are being used. Sometimes mixing synthetic two-stroke oils at a richer mix ratio than recommended can cause it too. Curious to know what ya'll are doin. Thanks.

miken
02-17-2004, 07:50 AM
I've always used just plain old, cheapest carb cleaner I can find, usually from Walmart. Carb cleaners can cause the rubber gaskets around the float bowl to swell, then they don't seam fit properly and leak. I try not to spray those and remove them before cleaning. Don't really know about power valves, except I have never had a problem.
Mike -

ridefastrgetoff
02-17-2004, 11:53 AM
I wasn't sure either; we have all but eliminated this after going to the synthetics but have a couple friends that are still using dyno oil and was asking about the possibility of cleaning their pv's before trying the synthetic. Thanks.