PDA

View Full Version : piston break in time

sparks400
01-15-2004, 02:00 PM
how long does it take for a piston to break in

hondafox440
01-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Assuming you do the correct heat/cool cycles, about 8 hours. It's only like an hour of run time though, the rest is letting the engine thoroughly cool.

250rider
01-15-2004, 03:17 PM
when i got my work done i did three tanks of gas before i really ever got on the throttle

01-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sparks400
how long does it take for a piston to break in

2 tanks of gas doing trail riding is fine. If you go by the manual you won't have as much performance so says motoman.

jtej
01-15-2004, 05:08 PM
read this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

sparks400
01-15-2004, 05:13 PM
thanks

mustang93
01-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jtej
read this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Thats how I break in all my engines, learned that from my pops, and I have never had any problems.

Derrick D
01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I am an auto tech & this is how all of the mechanics I work with break in their race motors. Machine shops use very very fine hones these days & there is no break in needed. I always warm up the engine till the fan comes on if you are water cooled. Then turn it off & change the oil. I let it sit for a half hour. Then I start it up again let it warm up to proper temp, and then drive that ***** like I stole it.

mustang93
01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Derrick D
Then I start it up again let it warm up to proper temp, and then drive that ***** like I stole it.

thats the same frase I use:D lmaf

Glamis400ex
01-15-2004, 08:01 PM
I used the Mototune method also myself. I got on it right from the start. It absolutely flies, and is very strong.... not a puff of smoke either. After 2 tanks of gas, I switched to sythetic oil and off I go.

Dune Surfer can verify this also...:blah:

Glamis

UglyMotha™
01-15-2004, 09:51 PM
just to make things a little clearer don't beat the crap out of it just drive her hard, in other words don't be over reving and don't lug it, technically breaking in has nothing to do with the piston its the rings, that need to be broke in and and within 5 mins of running the rings are seated and the cross hatch is gone so running 1, 2, or even 3 tanks of gas thru your bike is just a waste of time because your rings arn't goin to seat any more then they did within the first five mins or starting your machine

Derrick D
01-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah that's right. I wasn't talking about going crazy with it. Just use the power band on flat ground. Ride the **** out of it is just a discrptive phrase.

L.Vegas400
01-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
technically breaking in has nothing to do with the piston its the rings, that need to be broke in and and within 5 mins of running the rings are seated and the cross hatch is gone so running 1, 2, or even 3 tanks of gas thru your bike is just a waste of time because your rings arn't goin to seat any more then they did within the first five mins or starting your machine
there are many people that just dont understand this. but this is what happens and that all the time it takes.

xc400ex
01-16-2004, 04:57 PM
am an auto tech & this is how all of the mechanics I work with break in their race motors. Machine shops use very very fine hones these days & there is no break in needed. I always warm up the engine till the fan comes on if you are water cooled. Then turn it off & change the oil. I let it sit for a half hour. Then I start it up again let it warm up to proper temp, and then drive that ***** like I stole it.

Dont ever start a new engine till you plan on riding it.

BIGRED400
01-16-2004, 05:06 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Worked for my 416..............THANKS C&D for the part's

hondafox440
01-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
just to make things a little clearer don't beat the crap out of it just drive her hard, in other words don't be over reving and don't lug it, technically breaking in has nothing to do with the piston its the rings, that need to be broke in and and within 5 mins of running the rings are seated and the cross hatch is gone so running 1, 2, or even 3 tanks of gas thru your bike is just a waste of time because your rings arn't goin to seat any more then they did within the first five mins or starting your machine

Technically, it depends on the piston type.

If you use a cast piston, you don't have to worry about break in procedure as much, but you still have to break it in properly. This consists of running the engine to operating temperature, then letting it cool down completely. You then continue this process, each cycle applying more throttle. For example, let it idle until the cylinder is hot to the touch, then let it cool completely down. Then, ride at 1/4 throttle for 5-10 minutes, and cool. Then do 1/2-3/4 throttle, and a full throttle run to ensure the rings are seated properly.

This is critical with a forged piston, because forged pistons do change shape suring break in. This is because they are formed by literally beating a lump of metal into the shape of a piston. Thus, the forged piston has more potential energy stored in it, so it will actually become slightly egg shaped upon the first run. By heating it and cooling it, the molecules in the piston eventually "settle down", and the piston ceases changing chape when it heats up.

xc400ex
01-17-2004, 09:24 AM
If you actually put a mic to a JE forged piston its eggshaped bad while new in the box. Its designed to expand and contract in places. You want it to heat up and change shape.