PDA

View Full Version : my 400ex smokeing help? **VID**

Greg Z
01-15-2004, 12:03 PM
hey well its been liek 2-3 weeks since i started my 400ex because its so cold out. I tryed starting it and the battery was like almost dead. But I got it on! as soon as I got it on I noticed right away there was white smoke... Im not sure if its because its cold out its like 15 degrees out side right now I got a video of the smoke.. I noticed like i couldnt see the smoke in teh shade and I could see it in the sun light. I also noticed after warming it up for a bit it went away slightly. oh and the smoke only comes on if i punch it. I have a white brothers slip on... if you cant download from that site IM me on AIM and ill send you the video I hope its got nothing to do with the valves :( my motor isnt ticking or anything like that....

- Greg

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/smoke.wmv

k2-dawg
01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
It might be time for new rings..... just my guess.

Greg Z
01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
any other opinions?

oh and i have old oil in there it needs an oil change

i run mobil 1 15w50 syn

yellerfour00
01-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Its because it was cold... if it needed ring it would smoke oil which is blue.

Greg Z
01-15-2004, 01:59 PM
thanks have you seen the video?

zephead400ex
01-15-2004, 02:18 PM
need a username and password

nismo
01-15-2004, 02:20 PM
i believe white smoke is gas, ur problem sounds like when u start your car in the cold and you see the white smoke(no sure if that would be the right name"smoke b/c it isnt really) as long as it isnt blue i dont think u have to worry about it

Greg Z
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
yeah i think the last time i put new gas in it was in november

ridered03
01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
i am no expert on engines by any means but i too think that its just from it being so cold out, its kinda like seeing you own breath when its cold out. I wouldent worry about it!

mustang93
01-15-2004, 05:06 PM
white smoke = condensation/ steem (normal in cold weather)
blue smoke = burning oil
black smoke = running rich (left choke on / wrong jets ect...)
brown smoke = engine overloaded

I saw your vid its hard to tell if its blue or white. if the engine is cold and your reving it like that it might be burning oil you need to let it warm up so all the metal parts (piston & rings) can expand to the correct tollerances, I wouln't worry about it unless the smoke is blue and dosnt go away

Bill Fuller
01-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
blue smoke = burning oil

I saw your vid its hard to tell if its blue or white. if the engine is cold and your reving it like that it might be burning oil you need to let it warm up so all the metal parts (piston & rings) can expand to the correct tollerances, I wouln't worry about it unless the smoke is blue and dosnt go away Now there is an intelligent answer.I agree it's nothing to worry about.

mustang93
01-15-2004, 05:40 PM

Greg Z
01-15-2004, 05:42 PM
thanks no the smoke is white. it looks a little blue from the vid because of the snow in the backround and light discoloration... but as you see as it warmed up, the smoke became less and less so I guess all is fine as you said

01-15-2004, 05:48 PM
blue smoke = burning oil

I saw your vid its hard to tell if its blue or white. if the engine is cold and your reving it like that it might be burning oil you need to let it warm up so all the metal parts (piston & rings) can expand to the correct tollerances, I wouln't worry about it unless the smoke is blue and dosnt go away

y did u act so stupid in the other post if ur halfway intelegent because what u said is right on...so y act stupid and childish?:confused:

phebus
01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
If you go out when it's cold, and start your car, it will smoke (condensation) also. Don't worry about it, unless the smoke is blue, and smokes when warmed up also.

yellerfour00
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
The question is, are you burning oil or dont u check it?!?!?!

Greg Z
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
how do i check if im "burning" oil

skemp
01-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Well since you haven't put new gas in it since November, haven't changed the oil in a long time, and are starting it and revving it cold like that, I'm surprised that it isn't smoking. It's just steam, don't worry about it. If you are burning oil, you will see a decrease in the oil in the tank.

Greg Z
01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by skemp
Well since you haven't put new gas in it since November, haven't changed the oil in a long time, and are starting it and revving it cold like that, I'm surprised that it isn't smoking. It's just steam, don't worry about it. If you are burning oil, you will see a decrease in the oil in the tank.

i put oil in it in the begging of december it has like 2 - 3 rides on it and other then just starting it up

Greg Z
01-27-2004, 01:17 PM
engine over loaded means that its running lean right ? just making sure:mad:

sandspanker
01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
:rolleyes: It is condinsation. when the exhaust starts to cool it will draw moisture into the muffler.so when you start the bike the exhaust heat starts to evaporate the moisture in the muffler,nothing to worry about:D

mustang93
01-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Greg Z
engine over loaded means that its running lean right ? just making sure:mad:

wrong, Overloading an engine is when the engine is pushed beyond its capacity it will blow a brown color exhaust. this would probly never happen to an atv unless the rider was those two fat guys in the guisness book of records. it happens to tractors trucks and mostly industrial diesel generators(like on a submarine)

Greg Z
01-28-2004, 08:11 AM
wrong, Overloading an engine is when the engine is pushed beyond its capacity it will blow a brown color exhaust. this would probly never happen to an atv unless the rider was those two fat guys in the guisness book of records. it happens to tractors trucks and mostly industrial diesel generators(like on a submarine)

oh I c thanks

quadfamily
02-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Mustang93 and Scott,
You guys need to read rule #1 at the bottom of the forums! The insults to each other will not be tolerated. Nobody is going to win this argument so just drop it and go on.

Bye the way GregZ,
The smoke does look blue to me. It could be burning a little oil only at startup. If it is then you could have intake valvestem seals going bad. That's not really anything too bad and won't hurt anything except maybe oil fouling the sparkplug if it gets really bad.

JOEX
02-20-2004, 09:37 PM
I deleted all the BS posts. That stuff isn't needed.

Joe

Greg Z
02-20-2004, 10:47 PM
guys it got a lot warmer (40 degrees from 15 Lol) and it doesnt smoke at all. Now i have another problem neutral light is out lol

PA440exRider
02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
NEW RINGS, NEW OIL

Greg Z
02-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by PA440exRider
NEW RINGS, NEW OIL

im prettys ure I dont need new rings... i know i need new oil:p