PDA

View Full Version : I getting a new Truck. What should I buy????

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Im selling it and getting a new truck I think!!Since my rig is possessed by the devil:o Im trading it in for a new truck I think!!!:cool: My tranny is going t!ts up and all the sensors are going nuts, so its time .....I dont know if I want to spend so much and buy new or not I dont want that high pmt right now(as much as I would LOVE a new one with that new smell!!!:blah: ) Ill Prol buy 1-4 years old.....Whats a good Truck to go with?? Ill need an Ext Cab or Quad cab Thanks for some imput!!!:)

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
if you want a second hand truck, get a tacoma.They have quadcab and my wifes love hers. the bed is a bit short but if you only haul one quad its no problem. Zippy little Trucks too. Try to get the TRD version with the difflock if you can. Cant go wrong with a TACO.(not the guy but the truck :D )

Taco
01-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by seatec
Cant go wrong with a TACO. ) Your a smart man:D

OCCRA288
01-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Well,
I've had Wonderful experiences with Fords Trucks. F-150 Super Crew, F-250 Super Duty or Crew (Don't remember which one)or if you have a big load to haul the F-350 Super Duty or Crew(Don't remember which one). The Four Door models are extremely comfortable for all passengers.

Red00Honda400EX
01-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Depends on how much you're looking to spend.

Foreign trucks are a joke when compared to American built trucks. Just refer to the feather light chassis on them.

Lease is up on my truck next Feb. (2002 GMC HD with an 8.1L) I'm planning on turning it in as soon as I can possibly do so. The only truck I can honestly say I'd buy is a Duramax, none other like it.

On the high payment note: GM has like 72mo 0% interest out on a lot of the 2003 models right now, if you qualify of course. Just food for thought.

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by OCCRA288
Well,
I've had Wonderful experiences with Fords Trucks. F-150 Super Crew, F-250 Super Duty or Crew (Don't remember which one)or if you have a big load to haul the F-350 Super Duty or Crew(Don't remember which one). The Four Door models are extremely comfortable for all passengers. I did look at a F-150 and liked it alot, it was roomy inside (BTW I need a full size truck ,not a smaller one)but the pmts were totally out of my range:( How are the Z-71's??? I like the room they offer inside and the prices seem fairly decent....

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Red00Honda400EX
Depends on how much you're looking to spend.

Foreign trucks are a joke when compared to American built trucks. Just refer to the feather light chassis on them.

Lease is up on my truck next Feb. (2002 GMC HD with an 8.1L) I'm planning on turning it in as soon as I can possibly do so. The only truck I can honestly say I'd buy is a Duramax, none other like it.

On the high payment note: GM has like 72mo 0% interest out on a lot of the 2003 models right now, if you qualify of course. Just food for thought. Thanks for the info! I hate to sat it, but the biggest POS I ever owned before was a Chevy:eek: so I am a little Leary to go own that route again,and Chevy paint sucks:grr: (or at least used to) I have no idea what a DuraMax is??? Can you post a pic of one for me???

Taco
01-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Duramax is just the Diesel engine they offer

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:11 PM
dont think Z71 have Crew Cab.

BTW, i have a 2002 2500 HD CreCab with Duramax Allison and it's very comfy and smooth but its 'xspensive. And the extra 4grand sure buys alot of gas if you catch my meaning!?
How about getting a Dakota crewcab. Affordable and right between full size and mid size. Only thinking about you payment book here.

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Taco
Your a smart man:D

I knew you'd say something thats why i put the disclaimer in. :devil:

Samson
01-15-2004, 12:13 PM
if you want a second hand truck, get a tacoma.They have quadcab and my wifes love hers. the bed is a bit short but if you only haul one quad its no problem. Zippy little Trucks too. Try to get the TRD version with the difflock if you can. Cant go wrong with a TACO.(not the guy but the truck :D )

Leg room feels like a car up front and absolutely no leg room in rear of extended cab. Interior materials are cheap, too. Even with the locker they don't wheel all that great because of the IFS. Not what you'd expect for the price.

Get a BIG truck.

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Samson. i dont think it feels that cheap at all but that's subjective though. I love zipping around in that truck through town. TO bad im 6'4".

QuadJunkies
dont think Z71 have Crew Cab.

BTW, i have a 2002 2500 HD CreCab with Duramax Allison and it's very comfy and smooth but its 'xspensive. And the extra 4grand sure buys alot of gas if you catch my meaning!?
How about getting a Dakota crewcab. Affordable and right between full size and mid size. Only thinking about you payment book here. Yup, I almost bought a step side two years ago.....:) well It was one of those three door deals

2002 GMC HD with an 8.1L) I'm planning on turning it in as soon as I can possibly do so. The only truck I can honestly say I'd buy is a Duramax, none other like it.

are you smoking crack get another 8.1!!!! i just messn with you. I have a 8.1 also and about 4 months ago I went to go trad it in on a duramax. the dealer let me take it home and hook it up to my trailer and tow it around for a day and see if i liked it or not! I was not real happy with the deseil. It wouldn't run like my 8.1 pulling a trailer or not.

But with that said my next truck will be a duramax also!!!!!

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Taco
Your a smart man:D Taco, does yours come with a good tow pkg???:eek: :eek2: :devil: ;)

01-15-2004, 12:27 PM

You have put about 175,000 miles on truck to make up for the difference. differs a little depending on if you use it for hauling or jsut every day drive and depends on gas prices are.
when i look at getting a duramax 175,000 miles is what we figured I would have to brake even for the extra cost of the money!

btw i will have over 300,000 miles on mine before it is paid off!

Samson
01-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Samson. i dont think it feels that cheap at all but that's subjective though. I love zipping around in that truck through town. TO bad im 6'4".

Well, I would've have said the fit and finsh wasn't quite what I expected but my seats were hard. Sitting in that thing for even an hour was uncomfortable for me.

I liked Tacos OK too until I started driving my Dodge Ram. Doesn't take long to notice the difference. Much better! :)

Taco
01-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Taco, does yours come with a good tow pkg???:eek: :eek2: :devil: ;) Thats the only downside;)

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
are you smoking crack get another 8.1!!!! i just messn with you. I have a 8.1 also and about 4 months ago I went to go trad it in on a duramax. the dealer let me take it home and hook it up to my trailer and tow it around for a day and see if i liked it or not! I was not real happy with the deseil. It wouldn't run like my 8.1 pulling a trailer or not.

But with that said my next truck will be a duramax also!!!!!

There are a few low cost things you can do to make the Duramax come alive. 3 Things. 1. Better less restrictive intake. FPIK or someething like it. 2. 4" inch exhaust. 3. Juice box or similar item. YOu wil need to put in a EGT and boost sensor gauge so you know your not frying your Turbo but that setup really get you moving. if you wanna smoke un-modded mustangs then add a LPG system to it.:devil: intake, Exhaust and Juice box will run you about $1500. thats nto a lot for a plus 40K truck.
Here is my baby (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/seatec11/detail?.dir=/2500HD&.dnm=Grill+Guard.jpg)

seatec
01-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Taco, does yours come with a good tow pkg???:eek: :eek2: :devil: ;)

Nah, Taco's "Hitch ball" is too small i hear! :D

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Nah, Taco's "Hitch ball" is too small i hear! :D :eek: LOL!!!!!!:o :p

killed300ex
01-15-2004, 12:52 PM
id definitly get a dodge i myself own a chevy 1500 now and my dad owned a chevy and both were/are falliung apart peices of crap. NEVER again wil i buy a chevy. BUt i also have had horrible luck with fords i owned one as a beater before i had my lisence i did more time wrenching on it then i did driving it. HOw ever 2 of my freinds have dodge ram 2500 with the 360 and they cant breck the damn things. They go wheeling every weekend and havent had a problem yet. Also these both are plow trucks. Dodge will definitly be my next truck hands down. ALso though look at the tundras thats what my dads got now pricey but damn nice. I love his truck wont tow very good but has a pretty good 0-60 time for a truck
killed

exatak199
01-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I'd say get a dodge or a chevy (but if you get a dodge dont get a 360 unless you got lots of gazz money) but my sister hasa '99 dodge 1500 ext. cab 4x4 with a 318 and it goes prettty good guys say that the trannys are junk well if you drive the snot out of it then yes they will end up being junk. and chevys do get good gas mileage.what ever flots your boat.

brian-250
01-15-2004, 01:25 PM
ford all the way:D

seatec
01-15-2004, 01:30 PM
QUad Junkie. YOu are better off just doing some research yourself and go to a dealership with the absolute highest amount of monthly payment you are willing to give and see what you can get. YOu really cant go wrong with any late model truck these days. List your absolute needs like CreCab and short bed and gas mileage and go seek. YOu'd get a better deal buying out of the paper. Just go see the truck and ask if you can have a mechanic you trust look over it. That way you wont get had as much. also check the value of the truck at www.kbb.com.
Good Luck.

01-15-2004, 01:42 PM
seatec with those add ons you are up 200,000 miles plus before the fuels millage evens out the cost!

Pappy
01-15-2004, 01:46 PM
QJ....get the silverado in whatever configuration you can afford.

i have the doge hemi and i love it but the gas milage isnt great.

SAND LUVR
01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
tacomas are strong. I have proof but I cant post pictures.

seatec
01-15-2004, 01:58 PM
seatec with those add ons you are up 200,000 miles plus before the fuels millage evens out the cost!

yup at 200,000 the engine is just about broken in.:D
If i truly cared about mpg id gotten a Yugo.:devil:
Those mods make the Dmax run like a gas car though.
And as a matter of fact. the better intake/exhaust and chip set actually get you better fuel mileage if you keep your right foot in check.

Samson
01-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Shop for loan rates before going to a dealer. Research the vehicle's value before making an offer. I prefer www.edmunds.com. Know what the monthly rate will be for your price range before you start shopping. Your bank will calculate it for you if you ask. NEVER tell a dealer you're willing to pay X number of dollars per month. That's the number 1 way to get screwed. ALWAYS work off the bottom line. Make sure any additional fees (prcessing, etc.) are known up front. They can cost you hundreds. Never buy an extended warranty from a dealer. It costs 1/2 price through a 3rd party. Most extended warranties are crap anyway. Best bet is a factory warranty. Dodge has a transferable 7 year 70k mile powertrain warranty. Best there is. Toyota has 5/50000. Buy a ford or gm, it was 3/36000 last time I looked.

Good luck!

01-15-2004, 02:22 PM
yup at 200,000 the engine is just about broken in.

So you don't think my 8.1L will make it to the 300,000 miles it will have on it before it is paid off?

redrunner
01-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Z-71/silverado for sure! Should be seeing my new one in a couple of years.
Overall they are the best truck for ride and finish. I drove the new Ford and it did not impress me, naw never mind don't want to start this debate. Drive em all and get what you like, new stuff is all good!

Glow Plug
01-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Personally I would have a ford thats me and thats what I like.

The reason why I would go for a ford is because I don't like the feel of the older (pre 99) chevy cloth interior I find the seats uncomfortable and stiff. I can't really speak for a dodge because I havn't really rode around in one long enough to make a judgement.

So I guess I would say just get whatever you like the best.

good luck :)

seatec
01-15-2004, 02:45 PM

So you don't think my 8.1L will make it to the 300,000 miles it will have on it before it is paid off?

With some common sense care you engine should make it too 300k. They build them pretty good these days. I test drove a avalanche when they just came out. It had the 8.1L and man, did that thing take off. i loved it but i had my heart set on the DMAX because i amd intenidng to buy a 5th wheel with toybox and then a DMAX is a little better. Not much though.

Glow Plug
01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
With some common sense care you engine should make it too 300k. They build them pretty good these days. I test drove a avalanche when they just came out. It had the 8.1L and man, did that thing take off. i loved it but i had my heart set on the DMAX because i amd intenidng to buy a 5th wheel with toybox and then a DMAX is a little better. Not much though.

the DMAX will be a ton better when towing than a 8.1 will ever be

Tommy 17
01-15-2004, 03:14 PM
what ever u buy QJ doooooooo notttttt buy a f-150 the older version....

they had them on the crash tests like 2 years ago and it was the only car in history to rate DEATH... there was no possible way to live threw it they said... the whole truck folded up... it was horrible...

i rec a silveardo, alvalance or the toyota tundra... my toyota t-100 (tundra a few years ago) has 150,000 miles with not one problem!!!

jb500ex
01-15-2004, 03:20 PM
i would take my international motor over an izuzu motor any day of the week.

AtvMxRider
01-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Taco, does yours come with a good tow pkg???:eek: :eek2: :devil: ;)

Yeah but it doesn't work.................:eek:

Glow Plug
01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
i would take my international motor over an izuzu motor any day of the week.

have you heard of the dmax heads already cracking :rolleyes:

SAND LUVR
01-15-2004, 03:35 PM
hope you enjoy this as much as I do.Go Ford (http://www.pbase.com/image/25163452/original.jpg )

dirtmomma
01-15-2004, 03:42 PM
I did look at a F-150 and liked it alot, it was roomy inside (BTW I need a full size truck ,not a smaller one)but the pmts were totally out of my range:( How are the Z-71's??? I like the room they offer inside and the prices seem fairly decent....

I'd go w/ a Chevy Z- 71!!!!! Thats what we have it's a 94 w/ almost 200,000 miles on it but it's still goin strong, we just had to replace the rearend & thats it, we've had it about 4yrs, we bought it w/ pretty high miles on it. Heck up here you can get an 04' Silverado for 13K:eek: but I think it's a standard cab:( I'd go w/ CHEVY or a Dodge Diesel:p used to drive them when I worked @ the dealership & like them too very nice trucks. Good Luck!! That's what I'm thinking of doing if I get a job is get soemthing that isn't an electrical nightmare!!

dbsbl1
01-15-2004, 03:53 PM
A heads up if you're looking at a Dodge...My parents have a 98 Dodge van and a friend and grandpa have new Rams and the paint really sucks. It's easy to scratch....very easy.

Taco
01-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Yeah but it doesn't work.................:eek: :mad:

seatec
01-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
have you heard of the dmax heads already cracking :rolleyes:

total BS. some head gaskets went but very raraely. the DMAX is a killer engine and will last for a long time. i heard losta of rumors that some heard from a friends systers uncle's dog. the engine is bullet proof and that is that.

400grl
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Tina!

I have a 1994 Chevy Z-71 Silverado 4X4 Extended cab stepside with the tow package!! I bought it in 1998 with 60,000 miles on it, and it's running strong at 166,000 miles right now! :) I have replaced some things that just get old, such as my radiator (AZ heat is killer on those things!), alternator, battery, tires, starter and fuel pump.....but those are things that will go out on any vehicle after a while!

I'm completely impressed by my engine. It's bulletproof. Never smokes, starts first try every time.....

We thought my tranny was going out a few months ago (turns out it was some brake fluid that had eaten through the wiring harness - long story!) - took it all apart - the thing looked brand new inside. No joke. We replaced a band and the clutch plates just for the heck of it, but my personal tech (heheheh) was really amazed - we tow my big trailer with 3 quads almost every weekend - you'd think the tranny would have some wear in it! I DO hear my 1994 1/2 got the good tranny of the bunch.....I don't konw about newer or older models......

The extended cab has plenty of room for my kiddos.....the bench seat is roomy for not being a crew cab, and we have gone on lots of trips with it.

It's a beast offroad.....if you like to 4-wheel alot!

Downer is it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage - and it's my daily driver (60 miles a day roundtrip to work and back!!) - so I am always shelling out money at the pump!

To make a long story short.......I love my Z. It's a great truck. You should look at a few! :)

Let us know what you go with!

Dave400ex
01-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Seatec you should put some propane fuel injection on that beast! lol. Make her come to live for sure!

QuadJunkies
01-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the great info!! Im going out to start looking tomorrow;) . I aksed around at work tongiht, and a few said that Dodge is known for having TRanny and electrical issues right around the 80,00 mile mark?>?:confused: funny thing is, I have had mine since 2000 with only 12000 miles on it when I boiught it, it now has 78,000 and all this stuff is going wrong with it:( . Im going to trade it in so I cant buy out of the newspaoer ( I want to get what I can out of this POS:mad: ) Ill let you all know what I get!! Thanks again!!!:)

Red00Honda400EX
01-16-2004, 01:03 AM

I know for a fact your 8.1 won't pull nearly as well as a Duramax reguardless of cost, gas milage, or which truck will last longer. The Duramax pulls my Trans Am A LOT easier than my 8.1 ever thought it could. My family owns both the Duramax and then my 8.1. I drive the Dmax all the time and it's not even a comparison.

When you're buying a 40k dollar truck if gas milage is the biggest concern of yours you shouldn't be buying the truck. I wanted the biggest baddest thing out there I could afford and the 8.1 was it. When I got it the Dmax was still 7k+ what the big block was, and thats not including the Allison tranny. Both trucks have the Allison and mines acted up ever since I got it but nothing big.

QJ, look into 2001/02 1500 GMC HD's. The GMC has a nicer interior over the chevy and people tend to like that better, which is why I own the GMC. The only way you could get them were in a quad cab with a 6l motor, which has decent power, we also own one of these. Another thing you could check would be a 2000 3/4, they came in extended cabs also but I think you said you wanted the quad cab.

Look into mag reviews, as pathetic as they are, and check the interior reviews. Dodge is always piss poor lacking about everything on the bottom of the list. Ford/Chevy usually take 2nd and 3rd while GMC is normally number one.

Good luck on your search.

Edit: To the guy worried about how much gas he uses. All my 8.1 does is plow and pull trailers (own a lawn business so it's a daily thing). Michigan was just hit with a big snow storm yesterday and I plowed all day and usually check how the gas is going since the 8.1 drinks it like water. I got 5.6mpg. Thats pathetic and unexcusable. The dmax pulling a 16' trailer from Michigan to florida loaded with gear and 2 harleys managed 22mpg. Just a little something to think about and this is coming from someone who owns an 8.1.

exrider505
01-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I have a 1999 Ford F-250 SuperDuty and I love it, I am yet to give it something it can't pull. There going for about $14,000 or so not positive.

QuadJunkies
01-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by exrider505
I have a 1999 Ford F-250 SuperDuty and I love it, I am yet to give it something it can't pull. There going for about $14,000 or so not positive. hmmmm, now Ill do some checking on that!! and RedHonda~~~ thanks !! Ill keep that in mind!!!:) ;) Im off to go shop for one for the day, I pity the first crooked Sales guys to try and Jew me:mad:

dirtmomma
01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Im off to go shop for one for the day, I pity the first crooked Sales guys to try and Jew me:mad:

HAHAHA YOU GO GIRL hehehe I'm the same way!! After working in the car business for 5 years I feel VERY sorry when I go to look @ a new car LOL I always beat them up & Ron kinda stands there going.......damn:huh

ex trailrider
01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
I run the fixed operation side of a Chrysler~Jeep and now Dodge dealership and I am very impressed with the new style Ram 1500 Quad Cab trucks. They are a big truck but my 400ex fits right in the back and the tailgate closes great. I would look at the one with the 4.7 litre cause the hemi gets more expensive and the one I'm driving loves gas. You may not like Dodge but I've driven about 8 different ones and I used to drive Grand Cherokees and I've been impressed.

Good Luck

YLW400
01-16-2004, 10:24 AM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned of not, and I am probably going to get shot for this comment, but here goes...Have you seen the new Nissan Titan? That thing has some numbers with it thats for sure..It's over 300 horse, has like a 9,000 lb tow rating.....I am not sure what they cost though..By the way, I drive a 99Z-71 extended cab and absoutely love it......My next truck will I'm sure be a Chevy.....

416exmx
01-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the great info!! Im going out to start looking tomorrow;) . I aksed around at work tongiht, and a few said that Dodge is known for having TRanny and electrical issues right around the 80,00 mile mark?>?:confused: funny thing is, I have had mine since 2000 with only 12000 miles on it when I boiught it, it now has 78,000 and all this stuff is going wrong with it:( . Im going to trade it in so I cant buy out of the newspaoer ( I want to get what I can out of this POS:mad: ) Ill let you all know what I get!! Thanks again!!!:)

yeah, i have had 1 ford, 2 dodges, and 4 chevy/gmc's... the last dodge was a 99 with 100k miles and i ended up putting $2000 into the tranny. dont go with a dodge. why have i had 4 chevy/gmc's??? hmmm they must perform well, hold up, and hold good resale value...and they do.

Samson
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
i ended up putting $2000 into the tranny.

Curious. Did you service your transmission like you were supposed to?

416exmx
01-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Samson
Curious. Did you service your transmission like you were supposed to?

i bought the truck and put like 300 miles on it before this happened. there is a check valve on the transmission cooler up by the radiator. it is on the passenger side. these check valves freeze up at around 100,000 miles for some reason restricting oil flow through the cooler and then to the tranny. i bought a used tranny with 50,000 miles on it. the only way the company would warranty the tranny is if i by-passed the check valve. that it the real flaw in the "dodge tranny problems"

Samson
01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks. Just wondering if it's $80 well spent? I probably won't make it to 100k miles anyway. I've had mine 16 months and I'm almost to 12k. My moto is quickly becoming trade before the warranty runs out. I hate being stranded.

markk
01-16-2004, 12:54 PM
if i where to get a new 1/2 ton pick up it would be a chevy silverado, but anythign bigger i would go with a ford 25 or 350 with the Powerstroke

FourFiftyFour
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I love my 2001 Tundra.... it can pull pretty good, has a pretty powerful V8 in it.. truck handles well and is quick, the interior i think is nice and the stock sound system is one of the best on the market for normal everyday vehicles. They are now out with a quad cab in them too.... I really like mine tho... I like it better than the Chevy 2500 HD and F250 'Stroke ive driven!

JD400exrider
01-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Dodge Cummins 2500 No complaints. 2003 and newer have a newer tranny also. Pulls a large horse trailer liked a raped ape

MOFO
01-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
QJ....get the silverado in whatever configuration you can afford.

This is the truth... :cool:

I currently own a 99 Z71 (new body style) and I love it... great power, good ride, handles great and I get around 16-17MPG on the highway...for having close to 300hp, I cant complain.

My father has owned several trucks in the past for his construction company...all ranging from Ford's (worst), Dodge (not bad) and Chevy (this is what he buys now). He would change from make to make every 3-4 years over a 20 year period. If you were to ask him today, which trucks were the best, he'd tell ya the Chevy's with no questions asked. Always seemed to have the best power plant, held up the best and were very reliable.

TheWolf
01-17-2004, 10:10 PM
2003 dodge 2500 4x4 6-speed with h.o. CUMMINS!

Just a warning about 2003 ford with 6.0L powerstroke. LOTS AND LOTS of problems with these trucks and engines! More engine than truck, but be warned and do your homework before you buy.

First nothing can pull like a DIESEL. Even if you think it can, just look at the stress comparison on the engines and fuel mileage. A gasser will have to stay in the high rpm's to haul anything remotely heavy. Lots of high rpm's on a gas engine doesn't do good for longevity. A diesel engine is built for hauling heavy loads, it has LOTS of torque. Torque is what hauls heavy loads. A gas engine cannot compare with a diesel in the torque department. And do not say yea they have horsepower, because todays diesels have just as much HP as a gassers if not more in lots of circumstances. My Cummins engine is engineered to be able to run at redline constantly, and can easily reach 350,000 miles before even think about being rebuilt. Lots of them go many more miles before needing rebuilt also( and yes there are some with 1,000,000 miles with no rebuilds. some water pumps and such , but nothing major).. Now haul the same load with a gasser and a diesel, gasser might get 6-8 miles a gallon, the diesel might get 12-14 miles per gallon. And the diesel can get around 20miles pe gallon on daily driving. The gasser, maybe 12-14, 16 if your lucky. How many 500-600 HP 1000-1200 ftlb tq gas trucks can you drive around in daily and and get good gas mileage and count on as reliable transportation.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. I do not visit here on a regular basis , but for a while I will try and keep an eye on this post.

Thanks

JD400exrider
01-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TheWolf
2003 dodge 2500 4x4 6-speed with h.o. CUMMINS!

Just a warning about 2003 ford with 6.0L powerstroke. LOTS AND LOTS of problems with these trucks and engines! More engine than truck, but be warned and do your homework before you buy.

First nothing can pull like a DIESEL. Even if you think it can, just look at the stress comparison on the engines and fuel mileage. A gasser will have to stay in the high rpm's to haul anything remotely heavy. Lots of high rpm's on a gas engine doesn't do good for longevity. A diesel engine is built for hauling heavy loads, it has LOTS of torque. Torque is what hauls heavy loads. A gas engine cannot compare with a diesel in the torque department. And do not say yea they have horsepower, because todays diesels have just as much HP as a gassers if not more in lots of circumstances. My Cummins engine is engineered to be able to run at redline constantly, and can easily reach 350,000 miles before even think about being rebuilt. Lots of them go many more miles before needing rebuilt also( and yes there are some with 1,000,000 miles with no rebuilds. some water pumps and such , but nothing major).. Now haul the same load with a gasser and a diesel, gasser might get 6-8 miles a gallon, the diesel might get 12-14 miles per gallon. And the diesel can get around 20miles pe gallon on daily driving. The gasser, maybe 12-14, 16 if your lucky. How many 500-600 HP 1000-1200 ftlb tq gas trucks can you drive around in daily and and get good gas mileage and count on as reliable transportation.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. I do not visit here on a regular basis , but for a while I will try and keep an eye on this post.

Thanks

Good explanation Wolf. That is why I bought a Diesel. My feeling was the Cummings has been around the longest of the current diesels on the market. Duramax is a relatively new and the 6.0 Ford was not even an option. My last two trucks were a GMC and a chevy 1/2 tons with the 350 motor. Good trucks. I had one Ford and that would be the last. POS. If I was going to buy a 1500 series (1/2 ton) again it would have been another Chevy. Diesels are not for everone but if you buy a 3/4 ton for towing a Diesel is a no brainer. Better gas milage, Better towing, Last longer. This 03 3/4 ton dodge drives like a 1/2 ton. Not like the older 3/4 ton trucks that would bounch your fillings out.

I just wish that good California would allow the
HO cummings. :mad: The HO has even more power than the CA model. I don't think I will ever own another gas truck again.

Tina
01-18-2004, 06:26 PM
I love trucks! The 04 Ford F-150 is a great looking truck IMO. They were Motor Trend's Truck of the Year and also got a 5 star safety rating. Last I heard they were giving $7000.00 cash back.:eek2: I prefer Chevy or GMC, but I don't like the new headlights.:rolleyes: I would like to get the 04 Ford next year used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

86350x
01-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Well I'll be honest and say I didn't read anything but your first post.

If your gonna go with a gas powerplant, get a chevy silverado.

Diesel, get a Ford.

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Tina
I love trucks! The 04 Ford F-150 is a great looking truck IMO. They were Motor Trend's Truck of the Year and also got a 5 star safety rating. Last I heard they were giving $7000.00 cash back.:eek2: I prefer Chevy or GMC, but I don't like the new headlights.:rolleyes: I would like to get the 04 Ford next year used and let someone else take the depreciation hit. one good thing about going with a Frod is my ole Man gets an Extra Disc. threw his work for buying a Frod so it saves a few Thousand more if I decide to go that route, I have a few prospects, but havent found anything to get too excited about:( .................. But the prices........SHEESH:eek2:

TheWolf
01-19-2004, 10:40 AM
This is the last time I will try to post this message! I have tried at least 3 times and it keeps erasing the message and not even posting:mad:

It is a very shortened post because I am not going to keep typing everything and have it keep getting lost/erasing!:mad: :mad: :mad:

jd400,
The H.O. engine will be availabe starting with the 2004.5 dodge cummins. It will be called the Cummins "600". It will be 325 HP and 600 Ftlb Tq and availabe in ALL states.

Duramax= more of a light duty engine to me until it can prove reliability. It has not been around long enough to prove reliability.

Ford/ 6.0 powerstroke= hoping and praying you get from point A to point B.. Lots an LOTS of problems with the new engine. Way to many recalls and buy backs to even consider it.

Hope it posts

QuadJunkies
01-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TheWolf
This is the last time I will try to post this message! I have tried at least 3 times and it keeps erasing the message and not even posting:mad:

It is a very shortened post because I am not going to keep typing everything and have it keep getting lost/erasing!:mad: :mad: :mad:

jd400,
The H.O. engine will be availabe starting with the 2004.5 dodge cummins. It will be called the Cummins "600". It will be 325 HP and 600 Ftlb Tq and availabe in ALL states.

Duramax= more of a light duty engine to me until it can prove reliability. It has not been around long enough to prove reliability.

Ford/ 6.0 powerstroke= hoping and praying you get from point A to point B.. Lots an LOTS of problems with the new engine. Way to many recalls and buy backs to even consider it.

Hope it posts it posted! Thank you for that info!!;)

xr50tim
01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
you can never go wrong with a tacoma. i've had good experience with my dad's Ford F-250. If I were to get a new truck, I'd get anything from Chevy. Chevy kicks @$$!!

xr50layke
01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by xr50tim
you can never go wrong with a tacoma. i've had good experience with my dad's Ford F-250. If I were to get a new truck, I'd get anything from Chevy. Chevy kicks @$$!!

"if you cant DODGE it, RAM it" - rip_tear :D...

but yeah... chevy is the bomb diggity :laugh

Natertot426ex
01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I'll sell you my truck!! I want a Superduty crew cab with the powerstroke in it. I want it really bad!!

QuadJunkies
01-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
I'll sell you my truck!! I want a Superduty crew cab with the powerstroke in it. I want it really bad!! I forgot what you have:confused: We REALLY want a Quad Cab if the price is right, Im going to hopefully find something on Sat. Then MA"YBE in a few more months I can have my Covered trailer we want so bad!!!:blah:

Natertot426ex
01-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I have a 99 Ford F-150. It is extended cab but has all the doors open so I guess it is a quad cab.:D

QuadJunkies
01-20-2004, 10:48 AM
I have a 99 Ford F-150. It is extended cab but has all the doors open so I guess it is a quad cab.:D hmmmm, its a little tight for the kids in the back I think.....
PM me the mileage and a price who knows.....:D

Natertot426ex
01-20-2004, 10:55 AM
I wish I could sell it. i owe more than the thing is worth right now:( As soon as I get it paid down enough I am going to try to get a new one. I want a deisel.

dirtmomma
01-20-2004, 05:39 PM
I wish I could sell it. i owe more than the thing is worth right now:( As soon as I get it paid down enough I am going to try to get a new one. I want a deisel.

TEASE hehehe
J/P wit ya ;)

QuadJunkies
01-24-2004, 09:32 PM
well, I thought I would let you all know ... I GOT A TRUCK TODAY!!!!!!:blah: Its not new, but it loks like it ... I got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 I really dont need 4WD where we go and it will tow GREAT! and besides..this way we pay cash and NO TRUCK PMT!!!I looked all over EVERYWHERE and else everything was high miles or high price and I didnt want to be stuck with a high pmt( or there goes the mods for the quads!) its looks like new, its black and its an Ext Cab with a full size bed. Ill get some pics up of it when I have a few minutes to take one.......;) thanks for everyones help I REALLY appreciate it.........:)

JOEX
01-24-2004, 09:56 PM
well, I thought I would let you all know ... I GOT A TRUCK TODAY!!!!!!:blah: Its not new, but it loks like it ... I got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 I really dont need 4WD where we go and it will tow GREAT! and besides..this way we pay cash and NO TRUCK PMT!!!I looked all over EVERYWHERE and else everything was high miles or high price and I didnt want to be stuck with a high pmt( or there goes the mods for the quads!) its looks like new, its black and its an Ext Cab with a full size bed. Ill get some pics up of it when I have a few minutes to take one.......;) thanks for everyones help I REALLY appreciate it.........:)
Congrats! What motor/tranny and how many miles?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new (to me;) ) vehical. Now I just have to read the entire thread for some info:p Debating on getting a replacement or a second vehicle...

Joe

QuadJunkies
01-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Manual Transmisson, 5.2 liter, its no power house, but I dont need it for what we pull:) I saw a doolie I fel TOTALY in love with:D but its overkill for us and this will do better gas milage for me too..... The mileage was 58,000 most that we have looked at was 85,000- 130,00miles for anything 99-02

JOEX
01-24-2004, 10:18 PM
I have a 94 Dakota v6, bought it with 50k and put another 48k fairly hard miles on it. I love the truck and it suits me just right for what I do but it's starting to show the wear and tear.

Thinking about keeping it for my hauler/work truck and getting a different daily driver. Would like a Subaru Outback;) Then put some $$ into the truck to get it up to shape motor wise.

I have always had at least two vehicals until thae last four oe five years. I like the security of a second vehical;)

Joe

rodenberg35
01-24-2004, 10:33 PM
get a power wheels that looks like a Ford you'll save big $$

dirtmomma
01-25-2004, 09:37 AM
CONGRATS!!! Glad to hear ya got one & the Dodge is a good truck!! My mother in law has had one for a long time, well she gets new ones every few years :rolleyes: but they've never had a problem. Can't wait for a pic of it & as long as it pulls your trailer it's all good!!!! Heck you can probalby fit a couple quads in the back of it huh Good luck w/ it!!;)

jb500ex
01-25-2004, 09:40 AM
i hope you hired a lawyer also. had nothing but problems with my dodge 1500. i had too take dodge too court and i won. i also know 7 more people from 1998 until now that sued dodge and won, my opinion worst truck ever made. i blew 2 motors in one week and that is not a joke and that is for starters

QuadJunkies
01-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
i hope you hired a lawyer also. had nothing but problems with my dodge 1500. i had too take dodge too court and i won. i also know 7 more people from 1998 until now that sued dodge and won, my opinion worst truck ever made. i blew 2 motors in one week and that is not a joke and that is for starters you blew TWO motors in one week??/ How did you get the other motor in AND installed to blow another one all in one week?:huh We have a friend who put it n a Diagnostics for us to see if we have any problems with it before we buy it,runs really good... I REALLY wanted to get a Silerado, but a new one is WAY out of my price range and all the used ones had tons of miles already on it and I refuse to get into something already with oiver 100,000 miles on it..All I can do is hope for the best on this one, the price was right and it runs like its new..........:)

QuadJunkies
01-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
CONGRATS!!! Glad to hear ya got one & the Dodge is a good truck!! My mother in law has had one for a long time, well she gets new ones every few years :rolleyes: but they've never had a problem. Can't wait for a pic of it & as long as it pulls your trailer it's all good!!!! Heck you can probalby fit a couple quads in the back of it huh Good luck w/ it!!;) Thanks Kym~;) Yeah ALOT of Bed room for when my Girl gets a BIGGER quad:D

dirtmomma
01-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Aw geez Tina your truck will be just fine don't let anybody rain on your parade I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT come on everyone she got a new truck, some are good some are bad but don't sit & bumm her out aobut what she got she'll probably have great luck w/ it!!!!!!!:D

And YEAH how DID you blow 2 motors in one week????????? I used to work at a dealership & there aint no friggin way they got your motor put in within a week & you got to blow another :huh :confused: if it's true THATS probalby why you blew the 2nd one cuz they didn't do something right & were in a HURRY!!!!! But whatever I ain't gonna get into a pissin match w/ ya :cool:

MP250r
01-25-2004, 01:46 PM
some dodges are lemons and some are real nice. My dad has had a few. He had a 96 ram 2500 with a 5.9. Went through 4 trannys 2 rear ends and 2 motors with over 250k miles. Hes got a 97' ram dually with a cummins in it had it sence it was brand new, has 120k on it. Never had any drivetrain problems. Cummins diesels are bulletproof.

jfboy
01-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Red00Honda400EX

BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THOSE DURAMAX. My neighbor has one and his motor went out a 81k miles. The problem with these motors is that the head are aluminum and the block are cast iron.. aluminum expands much quicker taht cast iron so they tend to blaow head gaskets. my un cles has one too and had lost of electrical problems with it.. and problems with the fuel pump. his truck has arouind 40kmiles...

Glow Plug
01-25-2004, 05:15 PM
congrats on your new truck :D

JD400exrider
01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Congrats on the new truck. Wish you all the luck. I have a dodge 2500 and love it.

QuadJunkies
01-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks.,......:D ;)

QuadJunkies
01-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
TEASE hehehe
J/P wit ya ;) Kym~~~~ Your PM box is Full!!!!!!lol....:o :p Ive got that addy for ya!!!

remlapr
01-26-2004, 12:06 AM
I've got the 5.2 in my '99 Durango. No problems engine wise so far, I've had people tell me that engine is very durable, but the mileage isn't that great. The tranny is the real problem. I don't know if yours has the same tranny as mine, but if it does you better keep an eye on it....

Tina
01-26-2004, 05:02 AM
Good for you QuadJunkies! I can't wait to get a new truck....

dirtmomma
01-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Kym~~~~ Your PM box is Full!!!!!!lol....:o :p Ive got that addy for ya!!!

It's empty now:D

bigboy03
01-26-2004, 11:09 AM
I did look at a F-150 and liked it alot, it was roomy inside (BTW I need a full size truck ,not a smaller one)but the pmts were totally out of my range:( How are the Z-71's??? I like the room they offer inside and the prices seem fairly decent....

I bought a new F150 supercrew in Oct 03 and love it. It will pull anything you need to pull. I had the hard deck cover on the bed and it looks really sharp. I would reconment it to anyone. :cool:

MOFO
01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jfboy
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THOSE DURAMAX. My neighbor has one and his motor went out a 81k miles. The problem with these motors is that the head are aluminum and the block are cast iron.. aluminum expands much quicker taht cast iron so they tend to blaow head gaskets. my un cles has one too and had lost of electrical problems with it.. and problems with the fuel pump. his truck has arouind 40kmiles...

more INTERNET BS and rumors.... thats a bunch of crap. I did computer work for GM dealers around Pittsburgh and know alot of service managers... the Duramax has been a great motor. The only bugs they had was early in the release with the allison tranny... nothing mechanical just needed to fine tune the electronic controls... and this was a rare problem! I also know a few guys will Duramax's with well over 100,000 miles of hard use (pulling heavy equipment and 5th wheels)... NO problems at all.

QJ, nice truck! I wish you luck with it... should be fine... just keep up on the maintenance like anything else and it should be a reliable truck.

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 04:11 PM
finally!! Got some pics of my "new to me " turck!!

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 04:12 PM
finally!! Got some pics of my "new to me " truck!!

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I love having the Extra long bed for al the gear now all it needs is some FATTYS and a lift !!!:blah: :macho

Natertot426ex
03-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Tina you don't lift 2wd trucks. what are you thinking?:D

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Tina you don't lift 2wd trucks. what are you thinking?:D :eek: :grr:

Natertot426ex
03-11-2004, 06:05 PM
HA HA just kiddin!!!:D ;)