PDA

View Full Version : You guys have to see this .... if you havent already.

perry
01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
This was forwarded to me by a friend ...

Just click on this link to see it:

http://myweb.cableone.net/gryphon/honda.html

Story:
<From an email>
This is very cool. A lot of work went into this! First, a little background for you...
It's the new Honda commercial in the UK. Very important that you understand: There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in the film. Everything you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it.

The film took 606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to set the whole thing up again.

The crew spent weeks shooting night and day. The film cost $6 million and took three months to complete including a full engineering of the sequence.

In addition, it's two minutes long so every time Honda airs the Film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime. However, it is fast becoming the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free" viewings (Honda isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!).

When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it immediately without any hesitation -- including the costs. There are 6 hand-made Accords in the world. To the horror of Honda engineers, the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the film.

Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and complete Honda Accord) are parts from those two cars. The voiceover is Garrison Keillor. When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented on how amazing computer graphics have gotten. They fell off their chairs when they found out it was for real. Oh, and about those funky windshield wipers...On the new Accords, the windshield wipers have water sensors and are designed to start doing their thing automatically as soon as they become wet. It looks a bit weird in the commercial. Watch and see.

Here's the link...

http://myweb.cableone.net/gryphon/honda.html

ledofthezep
01-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Still as cool as the 1st time I saw it.:D Someone had waaaayyyyy too much time on their hands.:p

remlapr
01-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I hadn't seen it before - that's awesome.

Ralph
01-15-2004, 12:36 PM
bs its not real. im sorry but u can tell by the speakers floating in the air and when the music plays they just happen to dance up and down a great amount...

derekhonda
01-15-2004, 01:34 PM
you must have never seen a speaker play before :rolleyes: and they arent just "floating"

Ralph
01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
im not gonna fight with u over it...

QuadMatt
01-15-2004, 02:05 PM
WHy do the tires roll up the ramp like they do? Certainly not cuz of being bummped by the first tire. Looks Fake.

sly400ex
01-15-2004, 02:17 PM
It's true......

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp

01-15-2004, 02:32 PM
ya...i figured that **** was fake after the tires rolled up the ramp after barely being hit & even after hitting something kept rolling up the ramp...fake :rolleyes:

Sportrax10
01-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
ya...i figured that **** was fake after the tires rolled up the ramp after barely being hit & even after hitting something kept rolling up the ramp...fake :rolleyes:
Thats what confused me!

Ralph
01-15-2004, 02:47 PM
i realiz how the tires roll up the ramp, weights... but the little weights they use on cars could not have dont that, so that means they used parts other than accord. and the 4 little nuts that roll through the oil onto the ramp couldnt have lifted the battery on the other end...

chucked
01-15-2004, 02:52 PM
and the 4 little nuts that roll through the oil onto the ramp couldnt have lifted the battery on the other end...

actually if they put the fulcrum of the lever just to the side of the center of gravity to the side of the block, then the weight of the lugnuts is added, it could lift up the battery.

02Yellow400
01-15-2004, 02:55 PM
not fake....read the article. The tires were weighted so when the were just barely bumped the weight pulled the tire up the slope just enough

chucked
01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
the muffler seems to roll awfully far, how do the tires roll uphill? and the speakers look fishy, ive never seen speakers jump like that.

WOOLIN
01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
who cares if it was fake or not. It was cool just to see what someone with too much time on their hands can come up with.

sly400ex
01-15-2004, 03:19 PM
It's NOT fake, repeat, NOT FAKE...some people never get it!:rolleyes:

ScrnNmsSUCK
01-15-2004, 03:34 PM
we had to build to build something like that in school but not as complex and it looked at lot worst, but u would b amazed at some of the stuff u can do just by moving the balance point over a hair or adding a littlw wait. i think its real.

cdalejef
01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Yep, its real! I saw a show on cable about how the did it. It took several months.

muff
01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
thats pretty crazy...they def. had way to much time

wilkin250r
01-15-2004, 06:15 PM
It's real. Months of time and millions of dollars went into it.

The only little tidbit is that it was actually shot in two sequences, the split is the rolling exhaust, and they spliced it together. They say the only reason for this is because they couldn't find a studio big enough to fit the entire sequence from beginning to end, so they split it into two separate sequences.

remlapr
01-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's real. Months of time and millions of dollars went into it.

The only little tidbit is that it was actually shot in two sequences, the split is the rolling exhaust, and they spliced it together. They say the only reason for this is because they couldn't find a studio big enough to fit the entire sequence from beginning to end, so they split it into two separate sequences.

Where did you read that? Snopes.com is usually always right.

Glow Plug
01-15-2004, 08:47 PM
I didn't get to watch it all but when you think about that it is pretty damn amasing that someone could figure out uses for all of the parts and make them go all at one time

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 07:30 AM
There was a piece on TV about now they did it back this past summer.

01-16-2004, 07:59 AM
IT's photochopped :o

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Rico
IT's photochopped :o Shut your hole boy!

remlapr
01-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
There was a piece on TV about now they did it back this past summer.

In that special did they say anything about them cutting two takes into one on the muffler shot like wilkin said?

wilkin250r
01-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
In that special did they say anything about them cutting two takes into one on the muffler shot like wilkin said?

"The sequence of events in the advert is actually split into two shots — shooting the whole thing in one go would have been too expensive. "It was a damage limitation idea to snip it into two [parts]," says Rob Steiner, head of television at Wieden & Kennedy, the agency responsible for the advert. (Still not found the join? The first section ends and the second one begins at the one minute mark when an exhaust box rolls off to the right of the screen. Some clever editing bridges the two parts.)"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,946531,00.html