PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable after clutch cable after....please read

sprt400ex
02-21-2002, 09:30 PM
i had to buy my fourth clutch cable today. i bought a regular motion pro, then a termonater, then a OEM honda cable and snapped all except my new one so far. it is snapping on the lever i have cleaned the lever many times. please help me so i dont have to keep wasting money
thanks

400MXer
02-21-2002, 10:03 PM
What kind of clutch lever do you have. I have a MSR raptor and it fray's my clutch cable. maybe your's is doing the same thing. Or maybe you have it adjusted to tight.

Bspring
02-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly (a small amount of play in it).
Make sure you keep you cable lubed.
If you are using some type of easy pull lever the cable will not last as long because it gets bent more.
Also check the adjustment screw at the lever to make sure it is in alignment with the cable when the lever is pulled. You want to avoid the cable touching that screw as much as you can.

crouse267
02-24-2002, 10:52 AM
this was happing to my buddies 400 after we put a new pearch on it . what we did (after 4 cables) we got to looking at the leaver and noticed that the cable was rubbing on a sharp edge on the lever so we took a die grinder and sand paper and cleaned up inside the droves where the cable went and he hasnt had a prob. sence.

Mitch400EX
02-24-2002, 09:17 PM
What do you guys use to lube the clutch cable, will WD40 work?

02-25-2002, 12:55 PM
You can buy cable luber at most dealerships.;)

beerock
02-25-2002, 01:48 PM
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

It is the adjuster on the perch!

it is rubbing the cable and thus cutting the cable.

try buying a new adjuster and make sure it doesnt rub.

if the perch gives the adjuster room to wiggle then get a new perch.

I would suggest the sunline billet perch and lever, there like 40 bux and line up the cable perfect.

I use this lever and love it.