PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket clutch

topdawg909
01-14-2004, 11:40 PM
i was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 400ex and had some questions. I was thinking of ordering a tusk clutch kit w/ heavy duty springs from rocky mountain and of course a gasket set. i have had my quad for about 10 months now and ride it atleast 4 times a week, pretty hard i guess i could say. it happens and thats what i bought it for. :D how long does a stock clutch last? is this a good investment? what do you guys think? and how hard is it to repace the clutch discs and plates? i have a honda service manual as well. im almost sure i could do it, i was just reading the manual. any tips on installation? travis

http://members.cox.net/topdog909/index.htm

01-15-2004, 05:20 AM
im currently running the tusk clutch kit with thee heavy duty springs....your stock clutch is prob. fine....they last a very long time....if everything is still working like day 1 with your clutch then you dont need to change it....changing the clutch is also very easy

insaneracin2003
01-15-2004, 05:55 AM
i just replaced the stock clutch with a Barnett Dirt Digger with heavy duty springs,runs very well,bites pretty hard.i think the hardest thing about changing the clutch is scraping the old gaskets off.....jmo

stamperbob
01-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by topdawg909
i was thinking of replacing the clutch on my 400ex and had some questions. I was thinking of ordering a tusk clutch kit w/ heavy duty springs from rocky mountain and of course a gasket set. i have had my quad for about 10 months now and ride it atleast 4 times a week, pretty hard i guess i could say. it happens and thats what i bought it for. :D how long does a stock clutch last? is this a good investment? what do you guys think? and how hard is it to repace the clutch discs and plates? i have a honda service manual as well. im almost sure i could do it, i was just reading the manual. any tips on installation? travis

http://members.cox.net/topdog909/index.htm

The stock clutches will last a pretty long time and they actually are one of the better to replace with i think, but if you really want your bike to bite, I would go with the Sparks 8 plate kit with heavy duty springs, I put it in my bike and it makes a world of difference, they are a little more expensive but well worth the money. Installation is very easy just make sure before you put your clutches in you soak them in oil for at least 30 minutes

K_Fulk
01-15-2004, 10:19 AM
My stock clutch lasted better than 3 years before i sold the motor I did put some heavier springs in.

I'm pretty sure the sparks kit is 8 250r fibers and 7 300ex steels. And some barnett springs