PDA

View Full Version : ELKA Shock adjustments

Knips178
01-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Fully adjustable Elkas all the way around on my 400ex. The fronts are quad rate long travel with remote rez and the back is dual rate remote rez SSD. This is the way I understand setting them up. If your back kicks side to side when going over whoops then your rebound is to fast and you have to slow it down. And it's good to bottom out now and then so you know your using the full travel of the shock. I'm wondering what are common things to look for when riding MX style to see if your fronts and back are setup optimally? In other words, what do I look for to see if my rebound is correct in the front? What to look for to check if compression is right? If when I'm going over medium jumps and the landing is way to hard what should I change? These are just examples, but you get the idea.

muff
01-15-2004, 05:01 AM
what i found helps best if you spend a good day at the track..messing with one adjustment at the time and noticing the difference that it does

first off go and change your ride height, for mx i was running around 2.5" of sag, but thats what felt the most comfortable for me

hit the biggest jump that you'd do, go from there and set up your compression soft enough so you just barely bottom out, if you hit a jump and the landing is hard you'll want to turn the compression down

to test out the rear shock its best to hit a whooped out section and see how it handles, if the rebound is to fast the rear end will be bouncing all over the place, and if the compression is to hard it wont be soaking up enough of each of the whoops, i would try starting with the compression most of the way soft and a turn all the way from slow on the rebound...you dont want the rebound to slow because you want the shock to be fully extended by the time you get to the next whoop

Narly R
01-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I have the same egzact setup, I am having trouble with the rear. Just make shure you use all the travel possible. Talk to other racers with simialr setup's and have them look at ur bike, worked for me a little.