PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Electrical Problem

NJ400ex01
01-14-2004, 06:36 PM
I am having a eletrical problem with my 400ex. When i go to turn the key the green light comes on but when i push the start bottom the green light will dim or turn off and then the starter solinoid will start clicking. I went throught all the wiring seeing if anything is loose but could not find anything. When i jump on the quad a little and hit the start bottom it will start after a few seconds of it clicking, like it is getting a conection. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

NJ400ex01
01-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Ill pick up a new one and try that out.
Thanks
Brian

phebus
01-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Make sure your battery is fully charged. Sounds like a low battery.

NJ400ex01
01-14-2004, 08:23 PM
I checked the battery and it is fine. I even put my brothers battery in my quad just to make sure, but still did the same thing.
Thanks
Brian

adrenaline
01-14-2004, 09:20 PM
yea the celanoids can b a royal pain in the ***...
clean the connections on it....if not just beat it with a rock..that worked for my car :devil: haha...but yea try cleaning off all your connections there might be a rust spot and isnt getting a good enough connection and draining your battery..

Derrick D
01-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Get someone to tap the solinoid with a hammer while you are holding in the start button & it should then engage the starter & fire up.

2004TRX450R
01-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Before you just start throwing parts at it try to actually diognose it first. I have seen so many times on forums like these where someone has a problem and someone else jumps in asuming being it sounds the same as theirs that they know what it is when they are wrong and the person ends up spending a lot more money than they should have.

First make sure all your battery cables are clean and don't have any corrosion on them on both ends. If they are clean then take a volt meter and check for voltage to the starter relay on the battery side. It will more than likely have full voltage there but just to check and make sure there isn't a bad connection at the battery or something. Then hit the starter button and see if it has voltage on the other side of the relay. If the voltage is a lot lower or none at all that is the first indication that you have a bad relay. Next you want to check for voltage at the two wires comming to the relay. The green one is the ground wire so you want to see if there is full battery voltage to the other wire when the starter button is depressed. If you have full voltage there and it isn't turning over then you probably need a relay. If there isn't full voltage there then you probably have a bad contact at either the starter button or the Ign. switch.

NJ400ex01
01-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks 450r. I will try all that out first and see if i can find what is wrong. Hopefully is is something small and wont cost much. Thanks for the info
Brian