PDA

View Full Version : Front Sprocket wobble

300exwoodsracer
01-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Got a new chain, put it on... threw it off within 100 yds... it was tight... but my front sprocket wobbles a lot, im guessin that did it... that sprocket is almost brand new... what could cause this? could the spacer type thing that holds it on be worn? Thanks guys

dork
01-14-2004, 04:18 PM
how tight are you running your chain? if you run it too tight, it could pull too hard on the front sprocket and wear out the countershaft splines and sprocket retainer plate. you should have at least .5 inch of play when the swingarm is parallel to the ground.

the front sprocket is supposed to float on the shaft, but if the splines or plate are worn it could move too much.

also your rear axle bearings, or swingarm bearings could be shot.

300exwoodsracer
01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
chain had about 3/4 - 1 inch of play... dont think thats it... but about that sprocket retainer plate... could that wear enough to cause this??

01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
they all come a little loose...i noticed mine would wobble a little bit too & was like WTF!?!?! so the next time I was at my dealership I looked at how loose theirs were and they were the same as mine...I dont know how loose yours si though,....there should just be a little bit of play in ythem...not too much

markk
01-15-2004, 01:43 PM
check your chain tension with u on the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!