PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

Max400
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey Pappy, Will an electric Stove/Oven work to powder coat parts! I was wantig to do a little powder coat for myself and being that I have never done this I didn't want to put a lot of money into it to start with. I got a Electric stove the other day and If I bought the $150.00 little starter powder coat gun would that do to get started with? I just want to get started doing little things like brake calipers and hubs and stuff.......What do you use for an oven??? Pics of your PC jobs are SWEET!!!!

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:07 PM
yep it will work on small parts. buy a digital laser thermometer also ( a must have)

you can do all kinds of stuff in a small oven and they are very efficient , easy to use etc.

good luck and post some pics when ya get started:)

Max400
01-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Do you have to get the parts to a certian temp, not just the temp of the oven? I mean if the oven reaches the req. temp that dose not mean that the parts that you are coating will be at the correct temp?

I was moving my grand mother into a retirement home yesterday and they were remolding the apartments and they had a some electri ovens sitting outside and the super said I could have one, or all of them. thay all worked they were yellow and they were changing all the kithens to white appliances...
You need to do a beginers how to thread on PCing in the tech tips........you obviously know what your doing....Anyway thanks for the help:D I'll probably be picking your brain again.Thanks again

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:23 PM
depending on the powder (each can be different) the part will have to to 350 to 400 degree's for a period of 10 to 25 minutes (again depending on the powder)

first thing ya need to do is calibrate your oven. set the oven to 400 degrees and let it heat for about 30 minutes. then take a large cast iron skillet and place inside on the middle rack. after another 30 minutes, take a reading off the skillet with the laser thermometer, and if it reads 400 your good. if it reads 375 you will need to cure parts at 425 ...some ovens are a bit off if you understand what im saying.

im by far no expert, ive learned from reading and doing it. www.columbiacoatings.com just released a new booklet on how the basics work. they sent me one and its not bad. it will help you learn a bit faster. infact the above method of testing your oven is an excerpt from the book. i figured it out without the book but like i said...i learned the hard way

:p

thejeepdude
01-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
yep it will work on small parts. buy a digital laser thermometer also ( a must have)

you can do all kinds of stuff in a small oven and they are very efficient , easy to use etc.

good luck and post some pics when ya get started:)

Hey pappy i was considering the same thing... is the laser thermo really required? Does pinpoint specific temp really change that much? I would think a small part in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes would be pretty evenly heated... close enough not to matter anyways... or are you talking about for more complex/larger parts of possibly multiple materials?

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:32 PM
even the most basic part can be undercured if not monitored. i still check every part.

the larger or more dense the part may require much more time in the oven. flow out begins at around 180 degree's and curing begins at appox. 350 but the powder doesnt cure fully until the part reaches 400 degree's.

example:

once a part is striped ..cleaned ...taped up and or holes plugged i set the part in a warm oven (200 degree's) after about 10 minutes i remove it, blow off with an airhose then hang in my booth. after the powder is applied i re insert in the oven turning the temp to 400 (if thats what the powder calls for) after about 10 minutes i check part temperature. once it reaches 350 i set my timer for 20 minutes(or what ever is called for) at the end of 20 minutes i re check part temp. its usually at 400 or real close. then just from expierence i either take it out or may opt to leave it in for more time.

the basic instructions that i was first taught are WAY wrong. i was told to leave it in the oven for 20 minutes after flow out. this was only producing undercured parts which leads to a higher percentage of come backs.

again, this is the way i do it....others may do it a bit different but as long as its fully cured your good to go.

thejeepdude
01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Is there any downside to just leaving it in the over longer? For example if it says 20 minutes... just leave it in there for 40 minutes? Will it burn or get too brittle or something?

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
most of todays powders can withstand over cure but some cant. chrome gets brittle and clear will burn or turn yellow and milky.

powder can also run if its heated too quickly or over temp.

quadrcr161
01-14-2004, 01:05 PM
hey pappy, can you send me an IM, i was going to check with you about doing some work on some of my frames but i dont know if the PM to you worked

Pappy
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
it maybe my end thats jacked up. ive been losing pm's and stuff so i dunno if my computer is jackked again:mad:

just re pm me and ill answer anything i can for ya.

brandonpeake
01-14-2004, 02:02 PM
http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1024t45676ty78yj789345erfrg5467.htm

anyone had any experience with anything like this?
ive heard the electric ones dont work but ive heard of people using the mrheater brand ones in making a powdercoating oven and i know a guy who uses 3 of the 3lamp mr hearer propane heaters and will just set them like on each side of the hanging item?
but i would hate to buy all the stuff then these type things not work!

Pappy
01-14-2004, 03:08 PM
they will work.....but they arent the best choice. ya gotta go with what ya got tho:p my first oven had 2 33,000 BTU propane fired elements and worked ok. the biggest problem was dirt. you cant really keep dust and dirt out if the heating elements arent sealed and there by dust and dirt can get in and just like paint.....it will be visable.

i even saw a guy build a tent of aluminum foil and 2 of those heaters and he did a frame:eek: lmfao....thats about way to far out for me to try:p

as far as infared lamps. i have tried them and they dont cure well enough IMO. and then you have to find a place to move the part to a clean room where it can be cured with no dirt, bugs etc in the air. i have had a moth ruin an a arm:o :mad: oh well, you live and ya learn:)

brandonpeake
01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
what did u use to build the oven with